NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

Reminder, recruits get five official visits (university pays for hotel and transportation for the recruit) but can only use one per school...

Last edited:

CincinnatiAlum

2nd Team
Aug 9, 2004

Wow .. just wow! Considering so many of these are current regime, and in football .. you have to believe the football program will receive more punishment than what they self-imposed. You have to wonder if Hugh Freeze will be sent packing ...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

So, one of Alabama's assistant coaches makes a recruiting mistake which would be a level 2 or 3 violation and gets fired. Ole Miss has multiple assistant coaches commit level 1 violations and Ole Miss suggests a suspension of recruiting responsibilities. That is like getting a bonus for getting caught cheating for them - they get to work fewer hours with no reduction in pay.

Freeze is acting like Tressel here, and I just don't see how the school administration and fans could let something like this go. Do they care so little about the reputation of their school? When you get caught cheating, you fire those responsible or you make it clear to everyone that integrity is not important to your institution.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So, one of Alabama's assistant coaches makes a recruiting mistake which would be a level 2 or 3 violation and gets fired. Ole Miss has multiple assistant coaches commit level 1 violations and Ole Miss suggests a suspension of recruiting responsibilities. That is like getting a bonus for getting caught cheating for them - they get to work fewer hours with no reduction in pay.

Freeze is acting like Tressel here, and I just don't see how the school administration and fans could let something like this go. Do they care so little about the reputation of their school? When you get caught cheating, you fire those responsible or you make it clear to everyone that integrity is not important to your institution.
Bo Davis got fired because he lied about it while Compliance already had all the information on it. If he had come clean, he would have been suspended.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

There's an interesting contrast here, because in some ways the beginning of the erratic NCAA was with the Ohio State situation. For starters, there were a few issues that popped up over the years (Clarett and Troy Smith) that left us scratching our heads. I'm not saying the should have been hammered, but I know I personally wondered why the NCAA wasn't looking at the smoke going on over there. We'd been conditioned to think taking money from a booster should darn near be a death sentence to a program.

Then, even when they did punish Ohio State, they did something that I and many others found inexplicable. The whole, not-suspended for the bowl game thing. None of us even knew that was a thing, it was clear the NCAA was trying not to hurt Ohio State and only when more came out did they finally drop the hammer.

The takeaway from that though, is that the NCAA was clearly not consistent and not reliable in how they did things. Tressel thought he could get away with a lot, because he did get away with a lot. So, I won't defend him, and I won't defend Ole Miss, but after what went on at Auburn, Miami, and North Carolina, it is easy enough to see why those guys thought they'd get away with pressing their luck. I just hope the NCAA can at least establish that you know, you're not supposed to pay football players. That would help.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Bo Davis got fired because he lied about it while Compliance already had all the information on it. If he had come clean, he would have been suspended.
Thanks for the clarification. I strongly believe that some stuff happens everywhere, but most coaching staff stay at arms length. When a coach makes a clear mistake and is caught, he has to go. To do less is to invite public and NCAA scrutiny - and TMZ can find a lot more dirt than the NCAA ever will. Ole Miss, in fighting to keep these guys, makes one wonder how deep this goes. If I did something like this my company would fire me to protect themselves. If Ole Miss isn't firing them, are they doing it because they don't believe the issues are serious enough to warrant a dismissal or are they protecting the coaches in order to protect themselves?

I suspect that Ole Miss is taking Auburn's "all in" stance here. They were all involved, and they are all going to fight the good fight together. They all sink or swim as a group. And it may be necessary if they are all in this together, as you may have folks unwilling to play the role of scape goat.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Thanks for the clarification. I strongly believe that some stuff happens everywhere, but most coaching staff stay at arms length. When a coach makes a clear mistake and is caught, he has to go. To do less is to invite public and NCAA scrutiny - and TMZ can find a lot more dirt than the NCAA ever will. Ole Miss, in fighting to keep these guys, makes one wonder how deep this goes. If I did something like this my company would fire me to protect themselves. If Ole Miss isn't firing them, are they doing it because they don't believe the issues are serious enough to warrant a dismissal or are they protecting the coaches in order to protect themselves?

I suspect that Ole Miss is taking Auburn's "all in" stance here. They were all involved, and they are all going to fight the good fight together. They all sink or swim as a group. And it may be necessary if they are all in this together, as you may have folks unwilling to play the role of scape goat.
IIRC, Ole Miss is using the same law firm Auburn used. That's really all you need to know about their stance.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

What is the chance some of the recruits that were lied to about these allegations back in February, decide to try and leave Ole Miss because they wouldn't have signed had they known the truth? And would the NCAA allow it?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

What is the chance some of the recruits that were lied to about these allegations back in February, decide to try and leave Ole Miss because they wouldn't have signed had they known the truth? And would the NCAA allow it?
Depends on the severity of the sanctions, but the NCAA often allows players to leave without taking the one year hit when handing down severe penalties.

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA

So the head coaches of both the other sports lose their jobs. But not a single football coach loses their's? Whats wrong with this picture?

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL

I hope that they enjoyed beating Alabama twice.

It must be frustrating that they sold their soul and won zero SEC championships, zero SEC West championships, and didn't even sniff a national championship.

Say what you want about Auburn, at least they got some hardware out of their $200K deal.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Released)

Here's a spread sheet of the allegations against Ole Miss and the self-imposed penalties.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

A sportswriter (I THINK it was Andy Staples) said on Sirius XM CH 84 this morning that since all of the extra benefits added together "only" equaled $28,000, that all of this was no big deal...not sure what price tag you put on lying to the NCAA or ACT fraud...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

A sportswriter (I THINK it was Andy Staples) said on Sirius XM CH 84 this morning that since all of the extra benefits added together "only" equaled $28,000, that all of this was no big deal...not sure what price tag you put on lying to the NCAA or ACT fraud...
Lying to the NCAA is what got Tressel fired and a 5 year show cause.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Most likely came from Staples. He believes this is all a non-issue because he's in favor of paying players.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Just read from a sportswriter from the USA today that said Freeze may face a suspension ranging from 10% of a season to an entire season, if not a show-cause order. TIFWIW..

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Bama had to vacate 21 wins because some players got extra textbooks and/or school supplies....some valued as low as $1.35.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

With these issues spanning multiple sports and including coaches, I'm beginning to wonder if there's a chance the NCAA considers LOIC...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Just read from a sportswriter from the USA today that said Freeze may face a suspension ranging from 10% of a season to an entire season, if not a show-cause order. TIFWIW..
Myerberg got it from here:

How long is a head coach suspended for a Level I or II violation?

Depending upon the nature of the violation, including aggravating and/or mitigating circumstances, a head coach could receive a show cause order and could be suspended from 10 percent to an entire coaching season.
With these issues spanning multiple sports and including coaches, I'm beginning to wonder if there's a chance the NCAA considers LOIC...
I believe they are still in the repeat offender window from previous violations in women's basketball, which would add to the case for LOIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.