Nick Saban raves about Lane Kiffin's debut as Alabama's offensive coordinator

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
We ran clock. CLK also got BS some high-percentage throws. I think he has a clear understanding of what CNS wants to do on offense and he's not letting his past tendencies get in the way of that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing is that we can't compete for championships with just a run game and short passes. We've got to get things going vertically to open up the run. Maybe not against an overmatched WVU defense, but certainly when we enter SEC play.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The thing is that we can't compete for championships with just a run game and short passes. We've got to get things going vertically to open up the run. Maybe not against an overmatched WVU defense, but certainly when we enter SEC play.
I'm sure we will see this offense evolve as the season goes on and as the coaches figure out what we do best. Also, do not discount the development and improvement Sims will more than likely do with each game.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I agree and that's why I think he let BS take some shots downfield in the second half. He let BS progress perfectly with the game.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I'm no expert, but I kept finding myself impressed with each play call. I thought the tactical choices were fantastic, with just enough unpredictability to match appropriate decisions. And Blake did a fantastic job with his decision making, even if his throws while on the run were a bit anxiety-provoking.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When it comes to deep passes, it may be a limitation of Blake. We knew this going into the season but I am impressed in how much he's cleaned up his game overall. I think "a more athletic McElroy" is a pretty adept moniker for him right now. Coker may be better for our deep passing off play action but he has limitations too. I was never really impressed with his short middle of the field throws from the FSU tape. We'll have to see how he has progressed in our program though. So I'm not passing judgement until he gets on the field.

The 2009 team was able to get it done with a QB who wasn't a prototypical NFL arm and McElroy is not even close to Sims in terms of running ability either. Basically, Lane is really going to earn his paycheck this year. He's gonna have to manage it in a way where this talent can be maximized without a prototypical QB for this offense.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I loved the crossing routes across the middle which we've rarely done in the past.
Blake missed the throws but the receivers were way more than wide open.
If we keep running those routes we'll get some big plays out of them as the season progresses.
All in all I thought it was a very good performance by CLK.
sip

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You can really suck a defense in with all those crossers and the running game. I expect to see a back sneak out on a wheel route when teams bite on these looks.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The thing is that we can't compete for championships with just a run game and short passes. We've got to get things going vertically to open up the run.
First, I clearly remember Jay Barker being adverse to the long ball in that 1992 championship run. He threw for 1614 yards, 7 TDs, and 6.6 yards per attempt. That team won a championship. Blake had 250 yards, and an average of 7.6. Also, he threw a ball around 60 yards in the air and it could have been an easy TD if not for a drop. He's capable of making the throws (not on par with some QBs, but to the extent that he can hit a guy way downfield), he did make a couple of the throws, but I do question how dire the need is to do it much. If you know he can do it, which he can, you still have to cover the deep man.

The flip side, which doesn't seem to be mentioned much is what Blake can open up with his running game. You have to worry about what he can do with his legs, which can then open up other things. Rather than worrying about opening up the offense with the deep pass, I'd worry more about using Sims speed to Alabama's advantage. He ran for 42 yards and evaded a few sacks, but he can do more than that. His legs can open up things like some quarterback's arms can.

I think if Blake remains the guy, the offense needs to adapt to him vs. trying to get Blake to adapt to the offense. I don't think anyone can watch that tape and conclude Blake can't lead a team to title contention, not after seeing what Nick Marshall did, or Pat White did for example.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't want to sound like I'm against Blake Sims. I agree, his legs open things up that we haven't had recently. It is interesting that zone read didn't appear to be in the gameplan this weekend. Perhaps the desire to have each tryout as passers first necessitated that (though we never got to see Coker in the end).

At any rate, we CAN win with Blake Sims but we do need to hit a few of those deep passes. I don't think it was a big part of this gameplan because WVU played so much cover 3. Blake does need improvement on those throws and especially when he scrambles the ball doesn't have the same zip or accuracy which is bad for a guy who will be doing that some due to his natural ability.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
When it comes to deep passes, it may be a limitation of Blake. We knew this going into the season but I am impressed in how much he's cleaned up his game overall. I think "a more athletic McElroy" is a pretty adept moniker for him right now. Coker may be better for our deep passing off play action but he has limitations too. I was never really impressed with his short middle of the field throws from the FSU tape. We'll have to see how he has progressed in our program though. So I'm not passing judgement until he gets on the field.

The 2009 team was able to get it done with a QB who wasn't a prototypical NFL arm and McElroy is not even close to Sims in terms of running ability either. Basically, Lane is really going to earn his paycheck this year. He's gonna have to manage it in a way where this talent can be maximized without a prototypical QB for this offense.

^^^^ this = Great Post :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This simple fact is what annoys me with how Greg voices his criticism of Blake on the SEC Network. He says Blake can't throw deep, yet he never went deep in 2009.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
First, I clearly remember Jay Barker being adverse to the long ball in that 1992 championship run. He threw for 1614 yards, 7 TDs, and 6.6 yards per attempt. That team won a championship. Blake had 250 yards, and an average of 7.6. Also, he threw a ball around 60 yards in the air and it could have been an easy TD if not for a drop. He's capable of making the throws (not on par with some QBs, but to the extent that he can hit a guy way downfield), he did make a couple of the throws, but I do question how dire the need is to do it much. If you know he can do it, which he can, you still have to cover the deep man.

The flip side, which doesn't seem to be mentioned much is what Blake can open up with his running game. You have to worry about what he can do with his legs, which can then open up other things. Rather than worrying about opening up the offense with the deep pass, I'd worry more about using Sims speed to Alabama's advantage. He ran for 42 yards and evaded a few sacks, but he can do more than that. His legs can open up things like some quarterback's arms can.

I think if Blake remains the guy, the offense needs to adapt to him vs. trying to get Blake to adapt to the offense. I don't think anyone can watch that tape and conclude Blake can't lead a team to title contention, not after seeing what Nick Marshall did, or Pat White did for example.
It's a different style of football now than 1992. Much harder to win now with that style with how the rules make it easier for the offenses to score points. That "deep ball" Blake threw was like a punt. That would not fly against LSU or other upper echelon talent. Blake just doesn't have the zing on his passes to hit far hash deep outs, or really deep throws in general. That deficiency won't hurt us against most teams, but LSU, AU, and a&m is when the weakness will really be exposed. Those teams will stack the box on us and make us hit passes down the field. Not sure Blake can do that..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Back to the topic.... Ya'll getting off the track a little. I'm very pleased with Kiffin and the way he managed the game for our QB. I thought his playcalling was interesting, but simple. I liked how he started the game with a quick screen to Cooper. I think We play better when we go no huddle, and that's when Sims is real good at it. Makes me wonder what Coker will do in the game this week and will Kiffin opens up a playbook a little to test both of Qbs? I also compare him and Nuss's playcalling yesterday in both games, and I don't see anything difference only that Doug likes to throw more, and Kiffin likes to balance it up, but the points in the game were huge difference... I think Nuss hung 59 points...and Kiffin..33 points.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Umm, I disagree. Sims showed that he can throw a deep pass... I don't think he has seen an opportunity to do so... AJ struggled with deep balls last year, and so... Sims.. had a chance yesterday, but our WR dropped the ball.... SO ...
Yep ... was kinda confused on why people keep say that he can't we he clearly can. The one he threw to Coop was more than on the spot if it wasnt for interference and he nailed the one to CJ ... guy just dropped it. I was actually impressed with his gameplay yesterday. He made few mental errors and he had at least two passes that i know he wished he could have back. But he played solid to me. He showed that he was a pocket passer that can extend a play and scramble when necessary. And he was really solid during what ended up being a 2 minute-drill situation. If he keeps improving, I think he's really going to win over p a lot of the naysayers.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree. Dude can throw. I've heard from players within the camp that said he can really throw and he's very accurate on deep balls. WEprobably won't see much of that until deep of the schedule.
Yep ... was kinda confused on why people keep say that he can't we he clearly can. The one he threw to Coop was more than on the spot if it wasnt for interference and he nailed the one to CJ ... guy just dropped it. I was actually impressed with his gameplay yesterday. He made few mental errors and he had at least two passes that i know he wished he could have back. But he played solid to me. He showed that he was a pocket passer that can extend a play and scramble when necessary. And he was really solid during what ended up being a 2 minute-drill situation. If he keeps improving, I think he's really going to win over p a lot of the naysayers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.