NIT would be best thing for young team

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Just my opinion on this, but I feel that the NIT would be far better for this young team than the NCAA.

Remember, before the season began, everyone knew that we lost 4 starters and this would be a major rebuilding year for the Tide. I expected a losing record, given the lack of experience. Then all of a sudden, we had early success and everyone raised the bar higher. Now that we have settled into mediocrity, we are being considered a "bubble team" to make the NCAA's.

Here's a news flash for you: We are NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN THE NCAA TOURNEY, so why even fret over whether or not we go to it. Face it, if you don't make the sweet 16, you're no better off than the teams that didn't even go to the tournament. Do we want to be a number 15 or 16 seed that gets shellacked by St. Joe's or Duke on national TV? I don't think so.

This is why I hope we go to the NIT. The young team we have DOES have enough to make a serious run to the FINAL 4 of the NIT, and that would be a huge plus in playing time and adding experienced depth for next year. JMHO. Any others out there who feel the same? RRRRRRRRRRRRTR (for the long haul)!

rolltide92276

1st Team
Jan 8, 2002
Hueytown, Alabama, U.S.A.
Gotta disagree w/ you on this one JW. If we make the tourney we may be one and done but I think the experience for our younger players will be something they can build on for next season. It might also give them some extra incentive to make it back next year if they get a little taste of it this year. I understand what you're saying about the NIT and experience and all, but after the start we had to end up there I think would be a little demoralizing. And if we do make it we will not be seeded 15th or 16th. Those are teams from the very weak conferences (e.g. MAAC). My guess is if we make it we will be somewhere in the 8-10 range. JMHO. RTR!

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I respect your opinion. I still think being a one and done team in the NCAA's does no good for these guys. And like I said, we knew expectations would be that of a major rebuilding year, and upped them when we saw early success. But then lack of depth in experienced players reared its ugly head, even before Shelton got hurt. I love this team for its heart and work ethic, but they just aren't good enough to be called a NCAA tourney team right now. Maybe they'll have a turnaround. Lets hope so. RTR.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.