Medicaid cuts

Bama in VA

Scout Team
Mar 1, 2005
Is anyone else picking up on the Medicaid cuts proposed in the budget?

I know. Everyone thinks that this money goes to folks who haven't worked, saved, etc. But this is the money that pays for a lot of nursing home bills. Medicare only pays for 30 days in the nursing home immediately after hospitalization. When your assets are exhausted, it is Medicaid that takes over.

There is reason to worry about this. My late father-in-law, a retired surgeon with more than $2 million in liquid assets about 12 years ago, had Parkinson's disease. He supported his mother ( who lived to age 96), his wife, and himself for decades. Now, his widow is in a nursing home with diminishing assets. All of this is to say that these circumstances can happen to anyone. No matter how educated or thrifty.

And now the adult kids have young kids and kids in college. Forget saving for their own retirements in the face of soc security cuts. What happens to mama? We can't let her be mistreated. We can't quit work and take care of her ourselves. And the inlaws, like me, feel a burden, too. Should I have to use the assets I inherited from my family for this care? Then, what happens to me in my old age? What about my son's college money?

Moral: Be good to your children and get long term care insurance, no matter what the premiums cost.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Sorry to sound insensitive, but why is this my problem? Why should my tax dollars be used?

My grandmother is in a similar situation and we are debating what to do next. Personally, family takes care of family, then church/community takes care of friends.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
While I feel for your problems, Medicaid (and Medicare as well) has a lot of corruption and misuse within and without the program.

And are these true cuts to Medicaid? Or a reduction in the percentage of increase of Medicaid in this year's budget? In Washington D.C. language of politics, reducing the rate of increase from 7% to 3.5% = a cut that will kill old people, women, minorities, and children and destroy the environment.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Well, you'll be happy (but I'm not) to know that the Senate has rejected any "cuts" in Medicaid. This "cut" was actually a reduction in the rate of growth of Medicaid by a whopping 1%.

Bama in VA

Scout Team
Mar 1, 2005
They are true cuts. Looks like the Senate has tried to stop it. The House has tried to make it worse.

Some of the costs may be inflated, but I don't see how individuals can do anything about that. The government needs to prosecute those who commit fraud.

Glad to hear that some of you have family, church, etc. with the money to handle it all. I sincerely doubt that you are aware of the magnitude of the costs.

By the way, my parents paid their own way totally. And in a small town in Alabama in 1999 a nursing home was about $42,000 per year for one person, and it cost more to have the other cared for at home. And that didn't include the medical and household expenses. I doubt most families and churches have the resources to do this, especially where round-the-clock monitoring is required due to mental deterioration.

I don't know what the answer is, but this is where the crisis is upon us now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.