Fire Jim Boeheim and Bill Self

Jun 10, 2003
Hampton,VA,,USA
No, not really. Just showing the level of idiocy thAT goes on around here sometimes.Self and Boeheim are 2 premiere coaches at 2 of the top programs in college basketball. See, upsets do happen and even more so because of the parity in college hoops. CMG is a coach like these 2 men who wins, graduates players, and who has kids who represent the university extremely well. I FOR one want that in a coach, and most others do. Yes, Mark has things 2 work on in the x and o department, but he has taken this program 2 the level that many on here have mentioned time and again. Be grateful we have Mark, not Bobby Knight, Stansbury, or God forbid, Bob Huggins or Kelvin Sampson. Success is found in every aspect of a program. Think about it, Huggins and Sampson win, but are the young men they coach ready for life after basketball. Probably not, because they are not expected to graduate.Mark is managing to build this program by not always going after blue chip guys. Yeah, there have been Wallace and now Hendrix, but look at the success he has achieved with guys who overachieved.Erwin dUDLEY, pETT, and some others. CMG MAINLY recruits guys who know the feeling of winning. Shelton, Steele, Winston, DAVIDSON, and if you want 2 include Alonzo GEE hAVE WON A combined 7 state championships in their high school careers. So, for some to say these players don't play within a team concept is outright absurd. Only 4 programs every year make it to the last weekend of the season, and we are at level 2 where we are close to that last hurdle. I BELIEVE IN THESE COACHES AND PLAYERS. WE ARE DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY, and I remember all 2 well the HOBB'S era. I NEVER want to go back there again. I ALSO do not want to wager our program on the next "big thing" in coaching at the expense of losing a man who has invested everything in building this program.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It gets more comical...

when Mike Davis is suggested as the "next level" coach. That's when you really realize that most of our recent visitors watch football 51 weeks of the year. BTW, that "fire Bill Self" line hurts, since that was my dad's name... :)

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Guess the "they" responded...

You don't fire a coach for one year's collapse at tourney time. You fire a guy (if you're in a top flight program) when it becomes a consistent collapse. BTW, I don't believe everyone who questions CMG right now is anti-CMG. Even in the first post on this thread, his weaknesses are pointed out. I just want to see those weaknesses disappear over the next few years.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I realize you do...

and I do also. His real-time game management has come a long way, but he still has a lot to learn. I know I've acted too defensively to the usual influx of "fire him now" posters that always crops up. It crops up more on the FB board than here. One thing that needs to be kept in mind - usually forgotten after a loss - and that's the devil you know and the one you don't. At this point, I've more confidence that CMG will continue to develop that I have that we can cherry-pick that genius who wants to come to Bama, stay, and who can out-perform CMG...

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I, too...

Hope that CMG continues to progress and has a long tenure at the Capstone. IMO, it never pays to constantly change coaches looking for the "right fit." I have seen continued improvement in him during his tenure and I believe a lot of it has come working with good assistants like Asbury, Dunn, etc. Hope we continue to realize the great value in surrounding him with guys like this (will speed his maturity).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.