Greetings from the MVC

SMSfan81

Mar 16, 2004
Springfield, MO
Hello everyone. I'm an SMS fan (Southwest Missouri St.) we beat SIU in the semis of the conf. tournament. You may have seen Brad Korn get knocked out. I also post over at Valleytalk. Anyways some info and insight on SIU. They aren't lying when they say they defend. They'll guard you the entire time and pressure the heck out of your ball-handler. Can't wait to see how Shelton handles it, ES can ball. I saw him play in Springfield a couple of times w/ White Station. If the refs call the hand checks and don't let them play to physical on D it'll play into your hands. It did in the SMS-SIU game. They're not real big. Brad Korn will hit some clutch 3s gotta keep a man on him. Have to take care of the ball and make the most of all your chances, otherwise they'll make you pay. As for the arrogance of them on Valleytalk its from them going 17-1 in conf. that kinda breeds arrogance, unfortunately.

Thanks for posting and welcome aboard. I agree that turn overs will be key. The past 7 games we've had very few of them and have made our shots for the most part. The 2 games we lost lately were after building big leads and wilting late under extreme pressure. Needless to say the Saluki's look scary. Should be a barn burner! RTR!!!!!!!!

BammaNFla

1st Team
Aug 7, 2003
Tallahassee, FL,, US of A
Welcome SMS and thanks for the cordial post. I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Should be a good matchup Thursday. SIU seems to use its players off the bench a lot. I take it they don't feel there's much of a dropoff in talent. Care to comment on that?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've been following your feud with them on ValleyTalk with interest. In fact, I just posted over there. I've also questioned whether they can maintain pressure on decent ball-handlers without hand checking. It'll all come down to the zebras on that issue. In the SEC, the hand-check in the open is more likely to be called than the mugging under the basket.

SMSfan81

Mar 16, 2004
Springfield, MO
Truthfully, there isn't much of a drop off in talent once they hit the bench. They do a good job w/ redshirting players, so some are redshirts. If they can't hand check I don't see them putting near as good of pressure on the ball as they do. Thats one thing that helped us that they were po'd about was the refs calling "tickytack" fouls on them in the SMS-SIU game in the tournament. Although SIU only had 1 more foul and took 10 more FTs than us. Enough about that though. They are tenacious on D and will hawk the ball like crazy. Darren Brooks is crazy good at getting rebounds, especially for his height. Kid can play. Hopefully ES will show him a thing or two.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"Ticky-tack" means something like incidental contact. It doesn't mean a blatant rule violation, which is exactly what placing your hand on the guy you're guarding in the back court is. There is only one reason to reach out and establish hand contact on someone in the back court and that's to slow down his next move. Once you allow it, where does it stop? How much contact? Just a touch, a little push or what? It's impossible to call. In the NBA, it got so bad that the PGs were having to make their way, once they crossed half-court, by pushing back against the defender's hand. It was an all-night long wrestling match. If their "ticky-tacks" are hand checks, I hope every single one is called...

SMSfan81

Mar 16, 2004
Springfield, MO
If you've watched some SIU games, especially the SMS-SIU game, you've got to push off constantly to get anywhere because your being checked constantly. It wasn't called all year long, and then it finally got called in the tournament. We're a very D oriented team too and having them call that helped us though too, our players seemed to adjust instead of waiting for the refs to adjust to the style of play.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We have teams in the SEC that'll press you hard all the way down the court, but they do it honestly. The "hand-jive" stuff turns it into a different game, hardwood hockey or something. I just hope the zebes call the game straight up - and according to the rules.

SMSfan81

Mar 16, 2004
Springfield, MO
I just hope to see Shelton do well. I love watching that kid play ball. I love his high school Memphis White Station, class players, very polite nice guys, same thing w/ their coach. They were here in Springfield for the Bass Pro Tournament of Champions and a group of guys (about 12-20 guys) were cheering like crazy for WS and they won the tournament (4 years here, 4 titles) and we were extremely loud (about 7k plus people for the games) and afterwards WS coach Terry Tippett thanked us for cheering for his team and that him and his players appreciated it. I just love that team. It'd be nice to see SIU win, for the Valley and getting to see them play against Stanford. Could give us good press for us "midmajors" but don't wanna listen to the SIU fans talk about how much they dominate and such.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was listening to an interview with Earnest on local TV as I read. I had noticed on ValleyTalk that you were a fan of his. He's really blossomed this year, becoming the complete player that he was in HS, rather than just a spot-up jump shooter. And, as you say, a real gentleman, on and off the court. OTOH, you may find this hard to believe, but so was Sprewell, when he was an undergrad.

[This message has been edited by TIDE-HSV (edited 03-16-2004).]

SMSfan81

Mar 16, 2004
Springfield, MO
http://www.eteamz.com/bassprotofc/

I feel Shelton will continue to be a gentleman whereas Spre didn't. The above link is where you find info about past Bass Pro T of C. There have been some notable names to play here, I've enjoyed watching many of these players come to this tournament and have been extremely impressed w/ Memphis White Station and their players. Hopefully it will be a good well-officiated game. Can't wait for the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.