More fun with Auburn's Jungle

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
Auburn is calling their stadium "The Jungle".

This is old news. But as the season approaches, I have been thinking about it.

Obviously, someone must have transferred to Auburn with a few years at another school, and retained the wits to realize that despite history, modern understanding prevails.

Allow me to elaborate. Jordan-Hare. Okay, J OR DAN HEY RRR. Read it the way it sounds right. Dispensing with "sound out the words" and other phonetics, Auburnites enjoy being ruffled when someone says the name of their stadium in the exact same way that conventional wisdom expects it to be said.

"No, it's Jerrr...daannnn...heeey rrr." Now, truly, is ESPN gonna respect that? Understand that? (Given Lee Corso, probably.) However, will CNN, MSNBC, FOX News even attempt to discover the correct pronunciation? Will the rest of us? Nope. No time, and who really cares. So some wiz-kid who had attained a small degree of intelligence and understanding of humanity suggested they change their name so that in addition to avoiding national ridicule they could emulate their nemesis, The Florida Gators, who reside in a swamp.

Now I understand that alligators typically reside in marshes, swamps, and small lakes. That name makes sense. The Swamp. Good marketing, good branding, and for the past decade, a good product.

The Jungle? War eagle tiger? They are so steeped in trying to match the Crimson Tide they could not stick with a single mascot. They bring Eagles to their games. Not tigers, although they make sure to dress some hapless fool up in a tiger suit while screaming WAR EAGLE. Now, from what I understand, birds of prey ARE in the rain-forests of the world, but not on the level of the "plains". PLAINSMEN?!?

So, let's pretend.

We could call our stadium the "Bear's Den".

We could call our stadium the "Capstone".

We could simply win some games, lose some games, and still be the Alabama Crimson Tide. A team that surges like a "crimson tide" and hits like a "herd of elephants".

We can grin and acknowledge the monikers, even embrace them. They are ours, and we earned them through the blood, sweat, and tears of our players over many decades and many coaches.

The "Bear's Den"? Well, there is a place way down south in Alabama where football is a way of life. A name for it is not needed. The flood of crimson jerseys says it all.

UAEngineer113

All-SEC
Jan 25, 2005
Tuscaloosa
wisten said:
although they make sure to dress some hapless fool up in a tiger suit while screaming WAR EAGLE.
Hey now! One of my good buddies from highschool is one of the 4 people who are Aubie. Not saying I condone going to Auburn, but c'mon.

Funny post nonetheless...

BIGBAM

Suspended
Nov 25, 2003
Boy do I feel sorry for that poor soul. I've always wondered
if the barn makes their mascot act like a little girl on purpose with
his little cute head movements back n forth and his homoerotic
bouncing. I wonder because I watch all college football games;see all div I
mascots and not one seems as sissy as that embarrassing joke.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
I have a hard time poking fun at the barn's mascot(s) seeing as how we are the Crimson Tide and have an elephant as our mascot. Sure, we understand it and it makes sense to us, but to the rest of the country we're just as messed up in that regard as the barners.

That being said, AU has never done anything original in their history, so their giving their stadium a nickname doesn't surprise me...isn't that what so many others do?? Of course they would have to follow suit.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.