Recruiting Update - Outside the Southeast

TampaJim

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Tampa, FL, USA
Just a few quick hits to illustrate that our new staff is not just recruiting in Alabama, or the Southeast for that matter. Here are a few recruits that we're after (and there is mutual interest):

- Fred Matua (DT) - 6,3, 270, Wilmington, CA - one of top DL in country; literally offered by every top program; Alabama still on his list

- Donald Burgs (CB) - 5-11, 170, Houston, TX - reports offers from Alabama, Texas, Colorado, Miami, Oklahoma and A&M

- Kole McKamey (QB/WR) - 6-1, 185, Artesia, New Mexico - camped at Alabama as part of a national tour; camped at something like 9 schools; high school is top program in NMex (21 state championships); played QB as sophomore and threw for 2,200 yds; moved to WR as junior and was All-State, averaging over 25 yards per catch; will play QB this Fall; ran 10.7, good for second in state track championships.

- Willie Andrews (CB) - Longview, TX - favorites are Tennessee, Alabama and Texas. Unclear if we've offered.

- A.J. Davis (CB) - Durham, NC - thought by many to be top DB in country; recruited by Coach Torbush at UNC and still in contact; says that programs like Oklahoma, Michigan and Alabama are "right up there near the top"; big factor for him is also running track.

- Roshawn Pope (ATH) - 5-11, 180, Galvaston, TX) - yep, he's also a nephew of Asst. Coach Kenith Pope; plays QB in high school; district offensive player of year last season; will visit Alabama in July for camp; also looking at LSU, Miami, UCLA, Nebraska, Texas and Oklahoma.

- Mark Guillion (QB) - 6-3, 185, Orinada, CA - one of top QBs in nation; listed on Tom Lemming's (ESPN) top 100 list; passed for 2,200 yds and 28 TDs last year; may camp at Alabama; also thought to have relatives in Tuscaloosa.

- Patrick Lowery (LB) - 6-2, 225, Davie Co., NC - father is good friend of Coach Torbush; just camped at Michigan where he was selected as a top LB; also interested in NC State; told by CCT that Alabama will be recruiting him hard this Fall.

- David Thomas (TE) - 6-3, 210, Wolforth, TX - one of top TEs in country; Alabama not listed among his favorites, but did confirm that Alabama coach did come by his school.

- Drew Lagow (LB) - 6-4, 235, Carroll, TX - offered by Arkansas (who he favors for the moment), also recruited by Alabama, Notre Dame, Vandy, Oklahoma and Texas; says that he will camp at Alabama this Summer.

- Ronnie Osborne (RB) - 6-2, 210, Piedmont, OK - All-State RB, has run for over 2,000 yards both as junior and senior; when last discussed recruiting, commented that Oklahoma, Michigan and Alabama recruiting him the hardest.

- Justin "Ricky" Blalock (OL) - 6-3, 305, Plano, TX - attends same high school as Charlie Peprah; recruited by Alabama and many, many others; rumored to be favoring Texas.

- Kellen Tillman (LB) - Plano, TX - favorites include Oklahoma (parents attended), Texas, A&M, FSU, Alabama, Texas Tech and West Virginia.

- Derrick Pope (LB) - 5-11, 215, Galvaston, TX (attends Garden City CC in Kansas) - also nephew of CKP; thought to be strong lean to Alabama; very, very fast

Lawrence Pinson (LB) - 6-2, 245, Tulsa, OK - attends Jenks H.S., a top program in the area; we recruited a top RB there last year; brother was at Minnesota, but transfered to Oklahoma, so looks like he will be a Sooner; reports offers from Alabama and several other top programs

- Vickiel Vaughn (DB) - 6-1, 185, Plano, TX - one of top DB prospects in country; offered by Alabama, Nebraska, A&M, Arkansas and many others; reports that Coach Fran and staff has been recruiting him since he was a sophomore.

- David Lofton (ATH) - Plano, TX - a website from Texas lists his favorites as Stanford, Texas, Nebraska, Alabama and Washington.

- Matthew Melton (ATH) - Tyler, TX - same website lists his favorites as Notre Dame, Nebraska, Texas, A&M and Alabama.

Sorry this is so long and please, please remember that it is very early. Offers are flying all over the place, some "take it or leave it", others left open. The point of the list is to show you how expansive our "recruiting map" has become.

RTR!

One more note - I am headed out of town on vacation. If I don't answer your questions this or next week, don't take it personally (g).

bamafan4ever

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 8, 2000
Paulding County, Ga.
Tampajim,

You have to be as big of a recruiting junkie as I have ever seen!!! Your information is greatly appreciated and makes for a great read.

Kole McKamey (QB/WR) - 6-1, 185, Artesia, New Mexico

I did not want to read further than this, though. I was hoping this guy was SO fast that he could throw and catch his own balls!!!

No kidding, all the information is great and you will be missed while on vacation.

Have fun....but maybe not too much!

------------------
Any day is a great day to be an Alabama fan!

bamabarney

Oct 13, 1999
dothan, al
Thanks Jim for the info. I think that it's great that Bama is looking nationally for players, get Bama's name back out there and get the best player possible to fit your needs but also recuit the state as well. Hopefully we'll get some of these guys.

drunkboy29

Nov 8, 1999
Huntsville, AL
With Coach Fran and Coach Torbush, I guess it should be no surprise that we're recruiting so many players in Texas and the Carolinas. These two already had their eyes on these kids two years ago.
We all know about the football talent in Texas. The talent in Carolina is also considerable, however, the Carolina schools have a hard time keeping them home. In recent years, UT has really made hay in South Carolina, and some of the Big 10 and Big East schools have raided the NC talent big time. Holtz is changing some of that, but apparently, Coach Fran and his sidekick Torbush are changing it, too.
P.S. TampaJim, when you refer to a school as A&M, you mean Texas A&M, right?

[This message has been edited by drunkboy29 (edited June 27, 2001).]

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
TampaJim,

Although I don't always say it, I always read your posts when I see your name. Thanks for all the great work that you have done over the past couple of years. Your info is better than most of the recruiting "experts" that I've seen. Keep up the good work for us other recruiting junkies who get our fixes from you!! Thanks again!!

Doc

porkchop

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2000
Cocoa Beach
Thanks for the info big guy, but I have to say, the stats on Artesia are a little misleading. It's not hard to win 21 championships when there are 10 schools in the entire state in your division. O.K. that's a little exaggerated, but I would be willing to bet we have more schools in any division (1A all the way to 6A) than New Mexico has in the state.
And that's not taking anything away from this kid. I'm sure he has talent. But HS football in New Mexico isn't quite the same thing as it is in BAMA or Florida. And like I said, it's not a knock on the kid but a knock on the system.

------------------
"In Tuscaloosa, talk is cheap. Talk is for Auburn".

CNN/SI

TampaJim

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Tampa, FL, USA
porkchop,

You are absolutely correct about New Mexico football. In fact, the kid's father mentioned that one of the reasons for the "national tour" this Summer was to draw some attention to his son's ability, in part, because he doubted anyone would be looking at high school football in New Mexico.

BTW, he was awarded top QB honors at the Purdue camp. I think his talent is for real.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I wish I had more time to let everyone know how well things are going in the recruiting world. We are in position to land some excellent football players who coincidentally also appear to be solid citizens.

RTR!

#1bamafan

Dec 2, 1999
L.A..... Lower Alabama
Jim,
As always I really enjoy your intelligent, informative posts!! Keep them coming always!! I do have one question though. I have'nt seen any new info on kickers (especially punters).. What's the latest? How's our future looking in that dept??
Thanks!!!!! RTR!!!!!!!!

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I have heard some good things about Willie Andrews CB, Longview Tx.

I also saw Justin Vincent RB, Barbe HS, Lake Charles, La. last Sunday at church. My sources say he may be a lean towards LSU but hasn't made up his mind. Bama is still on his list.

------------------
"Some places they play football. At Alabama they live it". Coach Dennis Franchione

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
TampaJim, your efforts are greatly appreciated. I'm beginning to look forward to them almost as much as Coach Fran's updates. Coach Fran seems to love the Plano area a great deal. Looks like there might be a "Plano Pipeline" in BAMA's future. Sounds good to me.

MrCrimson

Feb 16, 2001
Alabaster, AL USA
Thanks, TJ. Great information to think about.

Roll Tide Roll

------------------
Roll Tide Roll
If you're an SEC Football Rival, Bama owns you in the overall series. That's a fact. MrC

TampaJim

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Tampa, FL, USA
Thanks for all the kind words.

I am back from my work (and Alabama football) hiatus.

Look for some news after the Alabama one day camp this coming weekend (I'm fuzzy on the date).

RTR!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.