A little comic relief (CFN Poll)

TideFever

Suspended
Dec 26, 2004
At the Capstone
I noticed this a little earlier today... as soon as I saw Notre Dame at #3 I closed the window. I don't care what criteria your poll is based on, a 6-2 with their most impressive victory coming against Michigan should never approach the top 3.

RollinOnBayou

Suspended
Aug 16, 2005
Our 17-0 win is struggling, while LSU's 24-0 win over 1-AA App St is "looking ahead". I love the consistency.

JCase

1st Team
Jan 29, 2005
Portland, OR
So based on their explanation for why Notre Dame is #3 despite 2 losses I guess that should have made Arizona at least #5, because they played a really good game against UCLA.

RollinOnBayou

Suspended
Aug 16, 2005
JCase said:
So based on their explanation for why Notre Dame is #3 despite 2 losses I guess that should have made Arizona at least #5, because they played a really good game against UCLA.
No no no no, that would require them to be consistent. Something that they aren't to good at.

SaintDeuce

2nd Team
Oct 16, 2003
pensacola, FL
Sorry folks, but CFN is not biased. Alabama's offense WAS anemic vs. Mississippi State. Did we not struggle mightily?? On the other hand, look at LSU's stats vs. Appalachian State. They scored 24 pts. on offense against a team just as good as Mississippi State. Who had the better performance? Probably LSU, though both offenses are bad.

And as for the Notre Dame thing...come on. They just beat the same team we beat 6-3 41-21!! What?? If you believe Alabama should be ranked 3rd, where should ND be ranked then?? 4th? Despite dominating the same team we barely beat?

They state that their criteria is how well that team is playing RIGHT NOW. Isn't that what rankings should be?? Come now, take your crimson shades off.

Bama is a top 5 team, obviously. But the offense is inferior to the other offenses in the top 5. Bama has not played offenses half as good as Notre Dame has played this season, and if they had our sched. there is a good chance they'd be 9-0 as well. On the other hand, if we had their sched. there is a good chance we would have 1-2 losses. That's just the way it is. Notre Dame is playing better than Alabama right now.

Bo

1st Team
Sep 15, 2002
Dixie
www.rolltide.com
On the other hand, if we had their sched. there is a good chance we would have 1-2 losses.
Please. Notre Dame has beat one respectable team this year, Michigan. And, UM is on a down year (three losses already, and barely hanging in the top 25.) They got beat by 5-4 Michigan State in South Bend. They have given up under 21 points to their opponent only twice this year. Notre Dame makes me sick...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
What a crock of s***. The only reason they put ND at #3 is the same reason you see ND "classic" reruns week after week after week, etc. That's one of their preferred pets, and they're not about to put some young Alabama team (which BTW is just off NCAA sanctions and probation) ahead of it. They haven't yet been weened from the hate Bama juice. Favoritism, plain and simple. JMHO
Roll Tide

RollinOnBayou

Suspended
Aug 16, 2005
I hate the "six degrees of opponents argument", because it's flawed at best. Saying that one team beat another by more points is better than a team who beat them by less is quite possibly the stupidest measuring stick ever.

Look at this I'll make a case for UC Davis to be ranked.

ND lost to MSU. MSU lost to N'Western. N'Western was beaten by Arizona St. Arizona St lost to Stanford. Stanford lost to UC Davis! The Aggies have a legit shot at taking out Nd this year in a BCS bowl. UC DAVIS FOR LIFE.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
SaintDeuce said:
Sorry folks, but CFN is not biased. Alabama's offense WAS anemic vs. Mississippi State. Did we not struggle mightily?? On the other hand, look at LSU's stats vs. Appalachian State. They scored 24 pts. on offense against a team just as good as Mississippi State. Who had the better performance? Probably LSU, though both offenses are bad.

And as for the Notre Dame thing...come on. They just beat the same team we beat 6-3 41-21!! What?? If you believe Alabama should be ranked 3rd, where should ND be ranked then?? 4th? Despite dominating the same team we barely beat?

They state that their criteria is how well that team is playing RIGHT NOW. Isn't that what rankings should be?? Come now, take your crimson shades off.

Bama is a top 5 team, obviously. But the offense is inferior to the other offenses in the top 5. Bama has not played offenses half as good as Notre Dame has played this season, and if they had our sched. there is a good chance they'd be 9-0 as well. On the other hand, if we had their sched. there is a good chance we would have 1-2 losses. That's just the way it is. Notre Dame is playing better than Alabama right now.

First Point.........points are points my friend, and whether you score them on Offense, Defense or Special teams, they all count the same. The fact is, is that we could have scored two more times on offense, and once more on defense had the refs understood the rules a bit better than they appeared to.

Second, we DOUBLED Tennessee 6-3, Notre Dame didn't quite double the score, they'd have had to have scored 42-21.......so, statistically, we actually did better than Notre Dame against UT...... ;)

Based on how out team is playing right now, the last time I looked, we've won 9 in a row......have given up ONE touchdown in 4 weeks....and that Ole Miss TD was because they had a short field due to a turnover......

People need to chill on the "lack of offense" stuff......I think if we score 17 against LSU and Auburn and Georgia we win!!

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
I dont understand some of the logic (or lack of) that these polls use. I dont care how good the team was that beat you. You dont deserve to be in the top 10 with 2 losses when there are 1 loss teams below you.

If you play the best 10 teams in the country and go 0-10...that doesnt make you #11 in the nation...unless you are Notre Dame. lol!

Last edited:

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
The CFN poll has nothing to do with records. They rank the teams based on how they are playing. They liken their poll to a power poll. They know that ND has no shot at a NC this year since we don't have a playoff, but they think that they are playing better football right now than anyone other than USC and TX. I would argue that they should be 4th - not behind Bama, but behind Miami.

That doesn't mean that I think that ND would beat Bama. It means that I think that they are playing better football right now...

Vertical

All-American
May 15, 2000
New Hampshire
No, no, no. You're all just missing the logic in their poll. It isn't based on how a team is playing right now... it's based on how a team's offense is playing right now.

Offense is the only thing that impresses the writers at CFN. I used to respect that website, but putting Notre Dame at #3? Laughable. I can accept Herbstreit's ranking of Penn State and Miami ahead of us, but Notre Dame and LSU? The guy who came up with these rankings is an idiot, plain and simple. Talk about a shot to their credibility.

Besides, if this poll were truly focused solely on how a team is playing RIGHT NOW, Alabama wouldn't be in the top 25! Our offense has been absolutely horrendous.

No, this poll is ranking teams based on a few things, in this order:

1. How the offense is playing
2. Overall record
3. Whether or not they're Notre Dame

At no point in time does defense enter their equation, despite the fact that it makes up half the game.

CornBiscuit

Suspended
Oct 2, 2005
Mobile, AL
CFN says LSU was looking foward to Bama...that is why they only won 24-0. I went to the game and they left their starters in until about 5:00 remaining. ASU took their players out at the beginning of the fourth. They only won 24-0 because ASU controlled the ball all game long. They ran really well.

DJHall4prez

3rd Team
Oct 4, 2005
T-town, Alabama
SaintDeuce said:
Man ND gave up 21 points to UT....their defense sucks worse than our offense.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Vertical said:
No, this poll is ranking teams based on a few things, in this order:

1. How the offense is playing
2. Overall record
3. Whether or not they're Notre Dame

At no point in time does defense enter their equation, despite the fact that it makes up half the game.
LOL - I suspect that most polls discount defense as defense isn't sexy and it doesn't sell ads. Since most polls are sponsored by the media, you can expect them to hype programs that will sell...

DZtider

1st Team
Sep 19, 2005
If you use their logic, we beat Tennessee even with our lack-luster offense. LSU gave up 30 second-half points to that chitty Tennessee offense.

So what exactly is their reasoning for ranking LSU ahead of us? They certainly arent playing any better than they did against UT.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.