Is Meyer gonna ditch the spread offense?

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
I know he probably has an ego that wants to prove it can be successful, but to me it seems obvious that his best offense this year has come from the traditional TE, FB formations, rather than that spread option. The fact is getting players isn't going to be a problem, and I just don't see him ultimately having much success with the spread in the SEC. Will he adjust or will he sink with the spread?

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
Totally scapping the spread is too early. He doesn't have his players in place yet. I would expect some adjustments.

They do line up in the I with a TE at times. They could stand to do more of that. Get the QB under center more especially for road games.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Bama-94-00 said:
Totally scapping the spread is too early. He doesn't have his players in place yet. I would expect some adjustments.

They do line up in the I with a TE at times. They could stand to do more of that. Get the QB under center more especially for road games.
I agree that it will get better, but I'm not sure it's ever going to be a great success. Doing too much horizontal movement on offense in this league is a recipe for disaster. How can he not see how successful his offense has been this year in an 'I' formation and a TE?

RollinOnBayou

Suspended
Aug 16, 2005
Yes, he will scrap it.

Defenses aren't going to slow down in the SEC.

Only way to save the option for Meyer is to find a posterboy QB for the option.... very soon.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Meyer is a very good coach. He will adjust and do whatever he can to be successful and win in the SEC. I don't think he'll completely ditch the spread. But he will have to make some changes. There will still be elements of it in his offense, but it won't be the same as what he ran at Utah.

CrimsonVan

1st Team
May 30, 2005
Orlando, FL
Meyer will have to adjust. He could have all the speed he wants but his lame schemes will not work even with several recruiting classes.

He will figure it out though and be fine but will never have the offensive ease he saw at Utah.

TexasBammer

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2005
Hotlanta, Ga
The rumors of his demise were somewhat premature

Sure he's had to modify it somewhat, but UF went 8-3 this year. They had a critical injury at wide receiver, and an entirely new offense. They seem to be getting a little better each week. Next year should be very telling.

I also think the Gator fans are to be commended. As bad as they have looked, but they don't seem to be asking for heads to roll. That's tough after their years of success?

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
TexasBammer said:
I also think the Gator fans are to be commended. As bad as they have looked, but they don't seem to be asking for heads to roll. That's tough after their years of success?
Ron Zook was their last coach. That just about explains it for me. Plus, they do have three losses, but they beat Tennessee, Georgia, and FSU.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
TexasBammer said:
Sure he's had to modify it somewhat, but UF went 8-3 this year. They had a critical injury at wide receiver, and an entirely new offense. They seem to be getting a little better each week. Next year should be very telling.

Actually, after the Bama game they were livid about Meyer and the Spread Offense. They are still questioning if he can compete with big boys in the SEC. Many still don't give him a chance.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
He'll have to make adjustments until he gets his type personnel in place and then I think he'll do just fine. Randy Walker has Northwestern competitive in the Big-11 with a spread offense and that's with athletes that can't compare to the athletes Meyer will have at Florida. I suspect he'll have you naysayers eating your words in a few years.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Both he and his OC...

have stated that they are not really running his offense because of personnel issues and time issues in installing it. I tend to think of his offense as a new "wrinkle," rather than whole new system. It borrows heavily from the "flex-bone," and a couple of other offenses. Of course, that just demonstrates that there's nothing really new under the sun, I guess...

CrimsonVan

1st Team
May 30, 2005
Orlando, FL
TexasBammer said:
Friend of mine has an Insiders Account to GatorCountry.com and I can attest to many questioning Meyer's system already.

No talk of firing him but a LOT of talk of whether his system should be ditched ALREADY.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
CrimsonVan said:
Friend of mine has an Insiders Account to GatorCountry.com and I can attest to many questioning Meyer's system already.

No talk of firing him but a LOT of talk of whether his system should be ditched ALREADY.
There's never a shortage of folks willing to flap their gums, but very few of those folks who love to be so vocal have any real horsepower to effect any changes.

Just imagine how incredibly stupid it would be for an adminstration to hire a HC and after one year they try to dictate to him what kind of offense he's permitted to run.

CrimsonVan

1st Team
May 30, 2005
Orlando, FL
Oh, I am not disagreeing with you at all.

I am just pointing out that their site had a LOT of fans willing to dump the system already.

Goes to show how impatient college football fans can be.

CrimsonVan

1st Team
May 30, 2005
Orlando, FL
One of the things that confuses me with Meyer is that he made it a point in the beginning of the year to say that there was actually no "system" and that he ran just a type of offense that was built around the players he had.

Then he says things like that....

Which is it?

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia
TexasBammer said:

Well, that's not we hear down here in lizardville - the slimey ones ain't happy - a lot of them are wanting urban to "spread" it somewhere else.

GaBullDawg

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 30, 2005
Valdosta, GA
Listen, I think Meyer is a good coach, but his spread option is not going to be a great success in the SEC. It doesn't matter if he gets the personnel he wants. The SEC defenses are too fast. They are lateral defenses and even when the get spread out, they close the gaps very quickly. The spread option works great in those conferences out west, where a premium is put on high scoring offenses. But, they have really average to subpar defenses; ie they are SLOW. He said it himself, his biggest surprise about the SEC was the quickness of the defenses. I think Urban can be successful in the SEC, but not with that spread option offense.

Last edited:

Crimson Hawk

Hall of Fame
Dec 16, 2001
North Alabama
GaBullDawg said:
Listen, I think Meyer is a good coach, but his spread option is not going to be a great success in the SEC. It doesn't matter if he gets the personnel he wants. The SEC defenses are too fast. They are lateral defenses and even when the get spread out, they close the gaps very quickly. The spread option works great in those conferences out west, where a premium is put on high scoring offenses. But, they have really average to subpar defenses; ie they are SLOW. He said it himself, his biggest surprise about the SEC was the quickness of the defenses. I think Urban can be successful in the SEC, but not with that spread option offense.
Having taken the time to watch some of the teams from other conferences, of late, it amazes me how blazingly fast SEC defenses can be! As far as how good a coach CUM is, how well he adjusts to " life in the SEC" will go a long way toward judging his worth, as a coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.