Chris Smelley: The state's top quarterback is ready to announce his college decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
The state's top quarterback is ready to announce his college decision.
The official visit to South Carolina last weekend may have sealed the deal for one of the South's top quarterbacks.

"I would give it a ten," said Chris Smelley of his official visit to Columbia. "We are trying to think about what we didn't like about it, and we couldn't think of anything we didn't."

Smelley grew up a life-long Alabama fan, but the Crimson Tide has not offered the prospect from their own back yard.

Last edited:

ridnlow

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 8, 2005
Word has it that Smelley will announce his decision on Sunday... This is either really good news or really bad news

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
It's been posted on the Insiders forum on Bamamag, for one.

It's not the ones you don't sign that hurt you, it's the ones you do sign. So much anxiety about Smelley and Tebow and we've got 4 QB's on campus. :confused:

If we don't get either one, it will not make or break this recruiting class. Oh, that has been said before, hasn't it?

grandingator

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2005
Grandin, FL
ridnlow said:
Word has it that Smelley will announce his decision on Sunday... This is either really good news or really bad news
What do you mean exactly? Are you worried or excited that it's coming before Tebow's announcement?

thesnowman8

1st Team
Jul 1, 2004
Barnwell, SC USA
I would tend to agree. However, I would also say that a good QB no matter what year he is is worth a LOT more. The 4 QB's we have on campus are all well and good, however another good QB never hurts. Regardless of who we get though, I'll look forward to the Barnes/JPW battle in the spring. However, I hope we have another freshman QB(from nease maybe....a south paw if u will :) ) throwing himself into the mix come summer. I wonder also if Smelley got tired of hearing all of the Tebow talk and if the ole ball coach said you don't have to play second fiddle to Tebow at Bama, u can play first stringer here at South Carolina. Would have been a good strategy for me. Anywho, RTR!

Last edited:

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
This could also be very good news. It is possible that Tebow has given Bama a heads up that he's coming here and they told Smelley that it's unlikely they'll offer.

Also, while Smelley is likely the kind of guy who will be a solid commitment to whomever he chooses...it is always a possibility that Bama could re-enter the picture if Tebow doesn't come to Bama.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
grandingator said:
What do you mean exactly? Are you worried or excited that it's coming before Tebow's announcement?
I'm both. Because him committing elsewhere means 2 things IMO. Either CMS knows we have Tebow and told him to go elsewhere..........

or the proverbial poo just hit the fan.

Tide49

1st Team
Dec 1, 2005
I think they are saying that this means that either

1.) The good - Smelley is ending his wait on Bama because he thinks Bama is getting Tebow

or

2.) The bad - Smelley has simply gotten tired of waiting on Bama, or feels dissed, or whatever and has decided to attend a school that is aggressively pursuing him, like South Carolina or Louisville

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
ridnlow said:
Wow!

Smelley said he is now receiving interest from Southern California and they want him to come out and visit. He has offers from OM, LSU, South Carolina, Tennessee, NCS, Louisville, and Oregon with future official visits scheduled and he may get a Bama offer early next week if Tebow goes elsewhere.

Now it is reported that he says that he is going to commit at a press conference on Sunday December 11th. Two days before Tebow does. This just proves it you never know what will happen with recruiting.

Last edited:

thesnowman8

1st Team
Jul 1, 2004
Barnwell, SC USA
Well, here's to hopin Tebow has given the staff the heads up. It would sure open up the door for alot of other recruits to say, hmmm....Tebow a five-star recruit signed, I think I should too. We could make a good tandom, because from what it sounds like this guy's going to be a great leader who also has great character and will be a fantstic teammate.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
This thing is coming out of nowhere. Smelley told Bone in an article released today that he was going to take some visits, now all of the sudden he out of nowhere says he's announcing Sunday. Could be a couple of things:

-Spurrier is putting the full-court press on Smelley. Commit now or you don't have a scholarship here. I just don't know that Spurrier is in a position to be able to make a statement like that, so SOS may be trying to play hardball, but his case is very weak right now.

-Smelley heard something last night or this morning that 'changed his mind'.

I like choice number two, although I have no knowledge of this situation.

Maybe he's commiting to us regardless of what Tebow does and has decided to grayshirt. Wishfull thinking I know but hey I'm hoping. Then Tebow commits to us Tuesday and all those who recently commited to UF decommit and follow him to us! Wow what a scenario!

More likely though we won't be signing a qb this year. Which will leave room for another stud lineman! Please Santa! ;)

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
wastedmason said:
Maybe he's commiting to us regardless of what Tebow does and has decided to grayshirt. Wishfull thinking I know but hey I'm hoping. Then Tebow commits to us Tuesday and all those who recently commited to UF decommit and follow him to us! Wow what a scenario!

More likely though we won't be signing a qb this year. Which will leave room for another stud lineman! Please Santa! ;)
Dude, dude. Dude. :p Spurrier is after him, USoCal is after him. . . he ain't greyshirting anywhere. Fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.