Rivals.com Mike Farrell discusses the latest recruiting news

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
Rivals.com recruiting analyst Mike Farrell makes his weekly visit on Rivals Radio to talk about the latest recruiting news. Farrell took time to answer a variety of listeners’ questions.

He discusses the U.S. Army All-American Bowl practices and gives his take on the top players including Mitch Mustain. He also talks about the latest information in recruiting including Alabama recruiting situation with Brandon Spikes. He said he thinks Spikes is down to either Bama or Florida. He talks about Mustain wearing the ND towel and he says it down to either Alabama, Tennessee and Arkansas. He thinks ND is not interested in Mustain. He said he also thinks Mustain will visit Bama sometime this month.

01/05/06 -Mike Farrell Interview (Audio)

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
It would be great to get Mustain in town either the weekend of the 13th or the weekend of the 27th. We have a big visit weekend on the 13th and maybe we could convince big Andre to use that last visit afterall and come on down with Mitch.

Tide49

1st Team
Dec 1, 2005
Mike Farrell was on AM 730 WUMP in Huntsville this morning. He didn't have any real earth-shattering news, but, there were a few interesting tidibits.

When talking about Brandon Spikes he said that he really can't figure out where he is going. He said two days ago he was convinced that Spikes was headed for Bama, but, yesterday he was convinced that Spikes was headed for Florida. He also said that Spikes claims he is going to "shock the world" with his announcement, so who knows how that figures in. Farrell also said that he thinks Rivals has had Spikes under-ranked and that Spikes will likely move into the top 30 players in the country in the Rivals rankings. He said that Spikes has been one of the most impressive defensive players at the AA game.

He said that offensively, Percy Harvin and Andre Smith were possibly the two most impressive players. He also said that he would much rather have Mustain than Tebow. He also echoed many other analysts in saying that he thinks Andre Smith will end up at Alabama.

Crimson Hawk

Hall of Fame
Dec 16, 2001
North Alabama
Love the Ping said:
It would be great to get Mustain in town either the weekend of the 13th or the weekend of the 27th. We have a big visit weekend on the 13th and maybe we could convince big Andre to use that last visit afterall and come on down with Mitch.
All of that!!!

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Crimson Hawk said:
All of that!!!
Well, a big weekend is starting to develop for the 27th with Rivals 100 DEs Peanut Whitehead and Marcus Tillman set to official Alabama. Andre is still open that weekend also and I think he could use that fifth visit then, although he says now that he won't use it. I really think that could change between now and then. It would be great to get Mustain down here with all that talent.

Crimson Surfer

Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
It sure looks like it is between Alabama and Florida for Brandon Spikes. I am hopeful that he will put on that Bama ballcap and announce he chooses Alabama at the U. S. Army All-American Bowl game Saturday.

From some articles I have read with quotes from Spikes, Coach Kines and Coach (Cheese) Harbison have made some strong impressions and good connections with Spikes.

This one is eerily similiar to the Tebow drama and too close to call. I just hope it turns out differently.

Crimson Surfer

Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
Love the Ping said:
Well, a big weekend is starting to develop for the 27th with Rivals 100 DEs Peanut Whitehead and Marcus Tillman set to official Alabama. Andre is still open that weekend also and I think he could use that fifth visit then, although he says now that he won't use it. I really think that could change between now and then. It would be great to get Mustain down here with all that talent.
I agree about the 27th being a big weekend. Bama recruiting down the stretch will be exciting to say the least.

CMS visited DeAntwan Whitehead in his home last night. That is after I heard earlier in the week that his top three are now Auburn, Tennessee and Alabama with Auburn a slight favorite. Whitehead has now scheduled an official visit to Alabama on 1/27. This one will be interesting to say the least.

Marcus Tillman could be the surprise DE for Bama this year. We will most likely have to wait until his official Bama visit on 1/27 to see if he changes his LSU soft verbal commitment. It looks like it is between LSU, Ole Miss and Alabama.

I am very worried about Andre Smith. Indications seem to be strong that he will eventually choose Bama NSD on Feb. 1st. With Smith trying to decide between Alabama and Florida for his last official visit, it is very troublesome that Tim Tebow and other Gators are recruiting and trying to woo Smith to Florida at the AA Bowl. I have also heard from a credible source that the Tebows (Father and Mother) are striking up a friendship with Andre Smith's parents out in San Antonio. I think it is critical that Bama lands that last Smith official visit. This one has all the makings of a nail bitter down to the wire.

It sure looks like Mitch Mustain is seriously considering Alabama. It is likely that he will make an official visit to Bama this month and like LTP said 1/27 would be the right time. It looks like ND is out of room for Mustain and reportedly he doesn't fit into their plans for next year. So now indications are that it is a three team race between Arkansas, Tennessee and Alabama. Some think it may be down to either Tennessee and Alabama. With Bama now offering QB Greg McElroy and G.J. Kinne a scholarship in 2007 it will be very interesting to see how this one plays out.

Last edited:

Tide49

1st Team
Dec 1, 2005
After reading the BamaMag fan chat with Spikes, I feel pretty good about our chances. If you have a subscription, I highly recommend checking it out. And, hey, it's a small thing, but, the fact that he is doing interviews with Bama fans and not UF or VT fans definitely doesn't hurt! :)

Last edited:

Tide49

1st Team
Dec 1, 2005
Another note for those who are worried about friendships among players playing a role in the recruitment of Andre Smith... Apparently, Smith has struck up quite a good friendship with Brandon Spikes.

If Spikes should come to UA, maybe he would help counter the 'Tebow effect' by providing a high-profile voice from the other side of the fence? If Spikes doesn't come to UA would Spikes joining the ranks of UF players recruiting Andre be enough to get Andre down to Gainesville (at least for a visit)? Spikes' choice could have far-reaching implications...

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Crimson Surfer said:
I have also heard from a credible source that the Tebows (Father and Mother) are striking up a friendship with Andre Smith's parents out in San Antonio.
If true, that may not be a determining factor. Besides sharing stories that are positive in UF's favor, both sets of parents have/had excellent relationships with Shula. They could toss that around over coffee, and though it's too late for Tebow to change (and I wish he would quit recruiting), talking with folks who fell in love with our coach couldn't hurt as much as you think.

Tide49

1st Team
Dec 1, 2005
Here is an interesting quote from Andre Smith on being recruited by Tebow:

"We just joke around a little bit," he said. "He'll say something like 'we need you at Florida' or something like that but it's no big deal. I'd never let anyone else pick my school for me."

Crimson Surfer

Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
Tide49 said:
Here is an interesting quote from Andre Smith on being recruited by Tebow:

"We just joke around a little bit," he said. "He'll say something like 'we need you at Florida' or something like that but it's no big deal. I'd never let anyone else pick my school for me."
Now that is a good quote from Andre that I haven't read. I also agree with you about the importance of Brandon Spikes in the Smith situation. If Spikes chooses Florida I will still be optimistic that Smith will choose Bama but it won't help the situation. I have seen the pictures and read about Spikes and Smith being close at the Army AA Bowl practices this week. It worries me that Spikes roommate in San Antonio is OL Carl Johnson from North Carolina and he is a Florida commit.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Thanks Tide49, I was about to post that same quote. I'm not too concerned about Andre. He said nothing about visiting FL in his latest update (yesterday) and said that LSU and FSU would be the last visits he takes. That would leave him with one visit left, and he said in the same interview that he likely wouldn't take that last one, but did leave the door open in that he didn't completely rule it out. However, Bama and Aub were the two schools he mentioned as possibly using that last one on, he never mentioned UF. If he doesn't take that Jan 27 visit at all, I think we're in good shape. If he takes that Jan 27 visit to Bama, everyone else can turn out the lights.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Love the Ping said:
Thanks Tide49, I was about to post that same quote. I'm not too concerned about Andre. He said nothing about visiting FL in his latest update (yesterday) and said that LSU and FSU would be the last visits he takes. That would leave him with one visit left, and he said in the same interview that he likely wouldn't take that last one, but did leave the door open in that he didn't completely rule it out. However, Bama and Aub were the two schools he mentioned as possibly using that last one on, he never mentioned UF. If he doesn't take that Jan 27 visit at all, I think we're in good shape. If he takes that Jan 27 visit to Bama, everyone else can turn out the lights.
I thought he took his Auburn visit at the Iron Bowl. I understood that he didn't make a great impression and that Tubs isn't recruiting him anymore, passing him to Bama.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
RE: Army All-American Bowl

i have read reports that many college coaches are attending the practices, but not sure about the actual game

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.