Guns = Good or Bad?

DJHall4prez

3rd Team
Oct 4, 2005
T-town, Alabama
bamapride79 said:
Blame Guns?

So what do you think? Are guns evil instruments or are they necessary to protect ourselves and our family's?
Guns, by themselves, are basically expensive paperweights. It takes a person to pull the trigger. So, I don't think guns are "evil instruments". I do think that guns can give a person a since of empowerment, which can be acted upon, and carried out by using a gun. However that's the persons fault.

As far as it being necessary to protect my family I guess a case could be made for that being necessary. But, so far, I don't feel that my family has needed any protection above myself...unarmed...unless you count my "Chuck Norris style roundhouse kick" as a weapon. However, I do keep my shotgun handy, but unloaded, if a situation ever arose...but I'd have to load it and shoot it and by that time I could have fired off 3 roundhouse kicks.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
PattheCatinSaudi said:
I think they are a tool. A ball peen hammer is evil if you use it to beat someone's skull in.
My view exactly. I can lay a loaded gun on a table and leave it there for 20 years. When I pick it up again, it will still be loaded and will not have harmed anyone. I can also use it to put food on the table. It will never, by itself, harm another human being.
If someone wants to do evil, he doesn't need a gun to do it. He can use a gun, but he can also use a baseball bat, brick, roundhouse kick or even a car. A gun's primary purpose is determined by the situation in which it is used and the person who uses it.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
First - I support gun ownership - though I don't see their use in protection from the government as much help. They have many other uses, but the military's firepower is such that we can no longer adequately rise up in America without the support of that military.

Guns are not evil, but their primary purpose is to harm, or, through threat of harm, protect. To pretend otherwise is just silly.

Here is the hard part with which to come to terms. Guns allow a person to hurt (or kill) another person without having to "get dirty". If all murders had to be committed with a knife, we would have far fewer murders. Knives are bloody and personal. You can feel the life drain away. When a gun is used, it is too much like what is seen on TV. The killer doesn't taste the death in the same way. It is far more impersonal. In essence, guns do cause murder rates to be much higher, because of this impersonal feeling that it makes possible...

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
In the past there was the sword, the spear, the bow, the axe and the club. People still fence, the javelin throw is still an olympic event as is archery which is also a sport. Surely we can't ban the axe and the club now protects our cars from theft.

Target shooting is a sport, one that I used to enjoy. I enjoyed hunting and still have my gun collection though it is small compaired to others.

My home defense weapon of choice it the Remmington Model 870 Wingmaster 12 guage pump shotgun with the plug removed, loaded and kept under the bed.

"Let your gun be your constant companion on your walks... this gives exercise to the body and independence to the mind... no free man shall ever be debarred the use of guns" - Thomas Jefferson.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
bamapride79 said:
Blame Guns?

So what do you think? Are guns evil instruments or are they necessary to protect ourselves and our family's?
I live way out in the country and I have guns. Plenty of them, in various styles, calibers, and gauges. I also have wildlife and varmints. Deer eat the plants from my garden, armadillos are constantly digging in my yard and coyotes and wild dogs chase the rabbits who frequent my yard. I hunt the deer occasionally, keep the armadillos chased away, and kill the coyotes when I can.

I've never used my personal firearms against a human, nor even brandished one as a show of force. I would, however, not hesitate to use one if it became necessary. I don't primarily own guns for protection, but they are excellent tools should the need arise.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
NBF_Bama_Cavalry said:
I live way out in the country and I have guns. Plenty of them, in various styles, calibers, and gauges. I also have wildlife and varmints. Deer eat the plants from my garden, armadillos are constantly digging in my yard and coyotes and wild dogs chase the rabbits who frequent my yard. I hunt the deer occasionally, keep the armadillos chased away, and kill the coyotes when I can.

I've never used my personal firearms against a human, nor even brandished one as a show of force. I would, however, not hesitate to use one if it became necessary. I don't primarily own guns for protection, but they are excellent tools should the need arise.
I agree totally. I also have various firearms anything from .22 to 30.06. I carry sometimes whenever I think I'm going into a higher risk area or perhaps carrying more money than usual. Gun ownership is a fundamental right but its also a great responsibility. Besides where I'm from gun control means being able to hit what you're aiming at. :biggrin:

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
bayoutider said:
Target shooting is a sport, one that I used to enjoy. I enjoyed hunting and still have my gun collection though it is small compaired to others.

My home defense weapon of choice it the Remmington Model 870 Wingmaster 12 guage pump shotgun with the plug removed, loaded and kept under the bed.

"Let your gun be your constant companion on your walks... this gives exercise to the body and independence to the mind... no free man shall ever be debarred the use of guns" - Thomas Jefferson.
Target shooting is addictive. :smile: The Wingmaster is a very nice shotgun. In fact its too nice to be sitting under your bed. IMO you would be better served to get a 870 Express and put the Wingmaster in your gun cabinet or safe.

CrimsonKing

REGISTRATION ON HOLD - CHECK EMAIL
Jun 30, 2005
All I know is, as long as there's guns in the world, I'd better have some too.

Also, if you want to eliminate guns, why not start by having the army and the cops turn theirs in, to inspire the rest of us? Won't that make everybody safer?

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
bamapride79 said:
Target shooting is addictive. :smile: The Wingmaster is a very nice shotgun. In fact its too nice to be sitting under your bed. IMO you would be better served to get a 870 Express and put the Wingmaster in your gun cabinet or safe.
Alas, my gun buying days are probably over. It took a bit of paperwork to be allowed to bring some guns with me to where I live now. 4 shotguns, a Glock pistol and a Colt Woodsman bought back in the late 60s. All fall within the catagory of target or sports guns and not military.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
NYBamaFan said:
First - I support gun ownership - though I don't see their use in protection from the government as much help. They have many other uses, but the military's firepower is such that we can no longer adequately rise up in America without the support of that military.

Knives are bloody and personal. You can feel the life drain away. When a gun is used, it is too much like what is seen on TV. The killer doesn't taste the death in the same way. It is far more impersonal. In essence, guns do cause murder rates to be much higher, because of this impersonal feeling that it makes possible...
A woman in Oxford just got knifed to death (stabbed 70 times), so restricting murderers to knives only isn't foolproof in preventing murder. On the other hand, I have never heard of a drive-by knifing.

A fellow on another webpage bulletin board wrote in his signature, "The Second Amendment, the reset button for the US Constitution."
An interesting perspective.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
Since I kinda lean toward Libertarian ideals, I dont think drugs should be illegal. I do think drugs are wrong from a moral perspective but it should be left up to adults to decide what they partake of. That being said I think you're a freakin fool if you use drugs. Why would you want or need to become disoriented? Is life so bad that something is needed to escape? :confused:

bamapride79 said:
Since I kinda lean toward Libertarian ideals, I dont think drugs should be illegal. I do think drugs are wrong from a moral perspective but it should be left up to adults to decide what they partake of. That being said I think you're a freakin fool if you use drugs. Why would you want or need to become disoriented? Is life so bad that something is needed to escape? :confused:
I agree with you 100% on this one, especially about why would a person want to take drugs. I didn't mean the previous post to be an endorsement of using. I just wanted to throw another example into the situation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.