1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
Recruiting 101
A. Scholarship Reductions
B. Current Depth Needs
C. Future Depth Needs
D. 2004 depth projections
E. Recruiting Sitrep (Operation Close The Borders)
F. Class of 2004 and position projections

A. Scholarship Reductions

Obviously the first question comes to mind is what will be the status of scholarships from 2003 on. We have seen some signs of depth issues already this season. At fullback two true freshmen have taken over, and at LB. Concerns of next year’s depth at certain positions are obvious as well: WR, OL, DT, LB, CB, S.

When will we feel the scholarship “crunch”?

In 2003 we have roughly 76 scholarships given out, barring those given to walk-ons up to the allowed 80. We will have 16 seniors graduate this year. This number may look a little low and here are my assumptions. I feel Carter will seek a 6th year because of the slow recovery of his leg and I tend to believe Daniels will return for his senior year. Another possibility is if Wortham doesn’t recover within the next 2 games and we remain healthy at the LB position, he could seek another year as well. I believe he has not taken redshirt. Now there could be some juniors who leave early, but I just don’t see it. Odom is the one most likely to jump, but unless he starts to produce sacks it would be in his benefit to return.
In 2004 we will add 19 scholarships, which will recover the 16 lost and bring the team back to 79. We will lose 15 seniors, 8 offense and 7 defense. The main concern is 4 will be from the OL and 4 from the DL. This concern will reflect the need to sign 8-10 linemen this year. The good news about this next recruiting class is we can sign the fully allotted 25, bringing us back to 85. We may see some JC’s who can play OL and DL come in.
The key to weathering the scholarship “crunch” is to evaluate and recruit good talent with NO academic casualties. 2. Have little or no defections to the NFL. 3. Have no serious injuries throughout the season. 4. AND developing that talent so it can step on the field and contribute on a SEC level. We will have to wait and see how successful the team is with these key points.

B. Current Depth Needs

As discussed earlier there are positions on the 2003 team that would benefit from more depth. Depth issues come in two different types: experience and numbers.
Experience depth is where the team has the correct number of scholarships allocated to that position, but all players have little or no playing experience. Numbers depth is where the position has experience, but lacks an adequate amount of players to rotate in and maintain the same level of play. Here is how I see the positions and yes some positions could have both.

QB: Experience
RB: Not bad, but if we lost 1 we would have a numbers issue
FB: Experience & Numbers
TE: Numbers (McLain has been moved there)
WR: Actually deepest position (This year)
OL: Numbers (Thin on 2 deep)
DT: Experience (the numbers are there, 7, but only 2 have experience)
DE: Same as DT, if Bates was playing would be one of top positions
LB: Experience, with loss of Daniels and Wortham experience takes a hit
CB: Experience & Numbers, something tells me Scott and McBride will not play
S: Numbers, not sold on backups

C. Future Depth Needs

Obviously the majority of recruiting is to meet needs of the future, preferably 2-3 years down the road. Unfortunately the staff can’t look that far ahead. I have categorized the positions into 3 sections: Red: Emergency need help, Orange: need some future talent, and Yellow: build for the future.

QB: Yellow: Good this year, better the next 2
RB: Orange: We lose a RB a year
FB: Red: 2 freshmen playing this year, 1 moving back to RB next year
TE: Orange: Lose a TE a year, staff looking for a speedy TE with hands
WR: Red: Need Speed, height, and hands. True freshmen will play.
OL: Red: Depth alert! Lose 3 starters in 04, OL usually need a redshirt year
DT: Orange: Keep recruiting bodies
DE: Orange: Staff going for speed on the sides
LB: Yellow: Plan for the future
CB: Orange: More speed and talent required
S: Red: Need hitters that can cover

D. 2004 Depth Projections

This section takes a look at each position individually and estimates losses after 2003. Most losses from starters are minimal except for WRs. We will lose 3 starters this year.

Pos. #’s Sr Starters Net
QB: 4 0 0 4
RB: 4 1 1 3
FB: 1 0 0 1
TE: 4 1 1 3
WR: 10 3 3 7
OL: 13 3 1 10
DT: 7 0 0 7
DE: 8 2 1 7
LB: 10 1 1 9
CB: 7 2 0 5
S: 6 2 1 4

Defense looks to be strong again next year with Bryant and Childress returning and the other DT’s gaining experience. DE’s will be strong. I don’t expect Odom to go pro unless he turns it on the rest of the season. I think 10 sacks will be his minimum to get a shot at the first round, if that. Sometimes it isn’t talent, but lack of players at your position that will get you in the higher rounds. I don’t foresee any other player on defense going pro.

Offense will get better with Carter returning to the WR position and standouts Titus Ryan and Nikita Stover joining. Roach and Caddell will shine next year as well. RB’s and OL will shine as 5th year seniors Britt, Smiley, and Mathis go out protecting a seasoned QB in Croyle.

E. Recruiting Sitrep (Operation Close The Borders)

As we have seen the last 2-3 years, Bama, and the other school, has missed out on top recruits in the state of Alabama. This will be the main focus of the new staff. And with 3 months under their belt it seems they are doing just that. Most of the top players including, Stover, Britt, Manson, Davidson, Stabler, Castille, Brown, Dawson, Bell, and Jackson, have the Tide listed as top 2 or 3.

With Shula’s background from Florida, look for the Tide to start picking from the Miami area. This is one of the top areas in the country and will replace the Texas connection the prior staff opened up. Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee will continue to be border wars to get recruits from those states.

Playing time is the phrase you hear echoing off of the 200 recruits who attended the Bama/Oklahoma game. That is the sales pitch the staff is using and it looks like it is working. Shula’s offense seems to be catching the eyes of many WRs. The defensive scheme of Kines will bring in strong aggressive hitters.

PART II (to be continued)

F. Class of 2004 and position projections

tiderntn

Sep 16, 2003
andersonville, tn, usa
Man you went to some trouble to do all this research! This is a great read, and answered many questions. I have faith that the coaching staff will have us purring right along for years to come. I'm sure tough days are still ahead, but we will survive. Roll Tide Roll.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.