Negativity in the Press: Had it with Bryant, Stallings and now Shula..

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsNkentucky

Scout Team
Jan 15, 2006
www.RollCrimsonTide.com
O.k. so he didn’t, but neither does Mike Shula, yet you would think that to listen to people rant over the Hawaii WIN…. “Shula can’t call decent plays”, “Our play calling is so predictable,” “Our Defense looks horrible,” we’re gonna get toasted this year.” “JPW is not very accurate and his arm strength is questionable.” “Shula has a long way to go to make it in the SEC.” Well guess what…..

Sorry guys I don’t buy it. I think too many people have been buying into Finebaum’s Kool-aid. I’ve always been more of an optimist than a pessimist. A wise man once said, “A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is a man who hopes they are.” I fall in the later category. Maybe I tend to look at the bright side too often, but I’d rather do that than turn to the dark side.

I just don’t understand how people can find so much to complain about. I remember after the Southern Miss. game last year (Remember the one where Prothro made the ESPN play of the year) overhearing a young man talking to his girlfriend about the game. He said “That was the worst performance I have ever seen. They should be ashamed of themselves. There was not a player of ours on that field tonight who was playing to win. We won’t win another game this year if we play like that again.” I hope his girlfriend dumped him. We are just one game into the season with a young team who are still finding their way. I don’t think the game was perfect, but I saw more positives than negatives by far and I am encouraged. I also know that Shula will coach them up and make corrections where needed.

As you can see from the picture of the newspaper posted above this negativity has been going on for years. If Bear Bryant wasn’t good enough then who can be? Stallings sure wasn’t. Remember, his play calling was too conservative; kind of sounds like Shula huh? Yet, all Gene did was win.

What makes a coach great? The answer is simple, the coach. He has to be a man of character and a natural leader. A natural leader leads; he doesn’t follow, so I doubt he will be following any fans coaching expertise. As a leader he commands respect and people want to follow him. You can tell when a team has a true head coach because they will play as a team. They will play with heart. Under Shula I have seen the team return to playing unselfishly, playing as a team, believing they can win. That didn’t just happen, Shula made it happen. Have you noticed that Shula likes to get players that he can relate to, especially quarterbacks? Remember, Smelly? He was a great Alabama high school quarterback who was dying to play for the Tide, but word had it that though talented, the chemistry between him and Shula was not there. Bear use to say “Find the talent and relate to it.” Shula deserves an A for bringing in quality young recruits that mesh well with the team’s chemistry. They may not always be 5 star recruits when they arrive on campus, but it’s when they leave that counts. Our coach has motivated the players to play above their level, to do what it takes to win. Bear once said, “Motivating people – the ingredient that separates winners from losers.” Maybe I am the eternal optimist, but folks, I believe we have ourselves a winner.

OrangeSucks

Scout Team
Mar 22, 2006
Prattville, AL
Re: Bear Bryant Stunk!!!!

I've been reading the book "The Bear" written in like 1974 or so. One of the quotes in the book is "I'll take someone who wants to win and will devote 100% of themselves, 100% of the time, over an egotistical All-American." One thing I have to say about Shula is that he gets all he can out of his players. I do remember that during the LSU game(I believe it was that game), they had all the blue chip recruits from the top 10 listed. AL had 3...and was ranked 3rd in the nation at the time. Some of the schools had like 20-30 blue chips. I'm not saying that Shula is Bear Bryant, but that does say something about him.

ROLL TIDE!

Last edited:

goodnightjonboy

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2005
Spanish Fortish, AL
I agree with you 100%. I've gotten an earful from so-called Alabama fans who criticize CMS on all accounts. Let's see. He took a probation-sick team and went 4-9 with no spring practice. Then he went 6-6 and went to a bowl game with pretty much the same probation-sick team. Then went 10-2, beat UcheaT, Florida, gave LSU all they wanted in OT, and even though they lost to Awbarn, they played in and beat a good Texas Tech team in the Cotton Bowl. Yes, he needs firing. A real fan supports his team no matter what. Roll Tide Roll!

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
I am not sure what prompted this thread, but if you are hoping that people will always see things your way, you are wasting your time...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am not sure what prompted this thread, but if you are hoping that people will always see things your way, you are wasting your time...
Best comment yet and there are an awful lot of people wasting their time. I am one of them for wasting my time reading some of these threads.

TideinFL

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 26, 2005
CrimsN,
Your post was obviously well thought-out, informative and encouraging.
I have to say that you are correct on all accounts.
We can pick and criticize all day long at these coaches, but there is a reason he is in the position he is in and you and I are not.
I have to agree with you about the way Shula interacts with the players.

When I see how he acts with those around him, he totally reflects the type of person who leads by example and eventually will command your respect in a quiet sort of way...I like that.

I think we have ourselves an honorable, respectable, smart head coach who is taking a team from the depths and placing them on the high bar once again.

It's been a while since Bama was consistently on top (guys, it's been nearly 15 years since the last title...). There are many of us younger fans who need to see the legacy built again, because frankly, we can't relate to the championships of the 1960s or 1970s. We weren't even thought of by our parents at that time! I would like to look back the way many of you do now with Bear and talk about the many things he did and said, and the way he lead his men both on the field and off. Bear didn't just win football games...he taught lessons about life as well.
I think Shula is the kind of guy who can do the exact same thing for this generation.
Roll Tide.

Spot Dailey

Suspended
May 31, 2003
Los Angeles
www.JohnTown.com
What chaps the seat of my levis is people who make blanket, negative statements out of complete ignorance. Fans who don't really understand the game and sportswriters who are too lazy to research the topic they're writing about or have an axe to grind against Bama.Too bad there's not a "Football 101" class offered on this forum.
I happen to agree with everything crimsNkentucky says on the topic. Regarding the retards who spew nothing but negativity, my father used to always used to say "put your brain in gear before putting your mouth (or in this case your keyboard) in motion."

kwftide

1st Team
Oct 20, 1999
Mebane, NC
What chaps the seat of my levis is people who make blanket, negative statements out of complete ignorance. Fans who don't really understand the game and sportswriters who are too lazy to research the topic they're writing about or have an axe to grind against Bama.Too bad there's not a "Football 101" class offered on this forum.
I happen to agree with everything crimsNkentucky says on the topic. Regarding the retards who spew nothing but negativity, my father used to always used to say "put your brain in gear before putting your mouth (or in this case your keyboard) in motion."
I completely agree.

It was one thing to complain during the 2000 season when it was obvious that Dubose was imploding and taking the team with him.

But to complain now, when we are still climbing out of the massive hole caused by probation? Hell man, we are on the verge of greatness!

I just don't get it. :mad:

WrollTyde

Banned
Nov 9, 2005
Hoover, Alabama
That headline "long way to go to be the best in the SEC" is a quote from Bryant, not the reporter. Bryant was a master of poor mouthing. If he had had still been head coach in '92, he'd have claimed that he was scared of Miami and we don't stand a chance and our defense can't stop anybody.

wwhite25

Aug 30, 2006
Good post. I have made a couple of comments on here about us as fans questioning our coaches and play calling only to see negative comments about the post. I think it is kind of funny actually. It just goes to show that we all believe we are always right and everyone else is wrong. I for one will continue to and will always believe in our coaches and players. I believe most of the Bama fans truly bleed crimson but there will always be some who will always know what plays should be called and could do a much better job than our current coaches or any future coaches.

BocaLance

All-American
Oct 18, 2001
Douglasville (Atlanta), GA
Can't really fault the media for Bama bias when there is 10 times the negativity spewed by our own so-called fans on this board alone. The fact that Alabama could win 10 games in 2002 (in the heart of the NCAA heat) and last year again, is testament to the fact that the heart of this team will always remain - regardless of who is coaching or playing. That is called foundation.

wwhite25

Aug 30, 2006
Can't really fault the media for Bama bias when there is 10 times the negativity spewed by our own so-called fans on this board alone. The fact that Alabama could win 10 games in 2002 (in the heart of the NCAA heat) and last year again, is testament to the fact that the heart of this team will always remain - regardless of who is coaching or playing. That is called foundation.
You are 100% right. I bet if we win at least 10 games again this year (I think that is a very good possibility myself) there will still be negativity shown by some on here.

kwftide

1st Team
Oct 20, 1999
Mebane, NC
While I am a strong supporter of Coach Mike Shula, I also understand that there are reasonable people who may disagree with me on certain issues. If there weren't disagreements, tidefans.com would quickly become a boring dustmagnet.
Disagreement is fine with me.

What I have a problem with, is people posting negative comments without even trying to understand what our coaches are trying to do.

Case in point:

gvilleBama brought up zone blocking and that this is the first season we've tried it. It is obviously working but our backs still have a little adjusting to do, to thrive with the new style. Those positive adjustments from our backs will certainly come in short order.

But to hear some negative posters tell it, we always run UP THE MIDDLE and then punt. That is just not true and is extremely misleading to someone who hasn't caught on to our zone blocking techniques and the fact that our line and our backs are still learning that system.

With all the hoopla surrounding our "catch and hinge" style blocking over the last 3 seasons, you'd think there would be UNANIMOUS PRAISE for the changes made to our O-line blocking techniques in the off season - especially when you factor in that most of the best college and NFL rushing teams utilize this approach. But, nope, the negative nellies say we run up the middle every other play. That is pure BULLHOCKEY and they should know this.

That is what gripes me about the negativity. It is totally uninformed and it is not because there is a lack of information freely available on the subject. They just DON'T BOTHER TO READ IT!!!

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
With so much to discuss about our team and the new players, all I've heard this week is about the punishment of Juawn Simpson. It reminds me of last year after the Florida victory all many had to talk about was should we have taken our players out of the game.

Hang em with a gold rope until they complain no more.

:BigA:

Hinez 57 Part II

Scout Team
Oct 19, 2002
Clinton, MS
I just posted some of this info as it was pertinant in another thread, but I've seen no one else actually throw out the #'s. A look at the #'s is a dose of sobering reality for anyone with an understanding of the D1 college game. Of 85 available scholarship players, 55 of Bama's team members are Fresh. or Soph. A full 39 of them are Freshmen. In football, as with all competition, if all things are equeal I'll take experience over inexperience everytime, cause it's gonna win 9 out of 10 times. What I see on the field is a fundamentally sound football team. Obviously we've seen at least one unit underperform over the past couple of years. I'm not going to make a judgement about this years prognosis due to one game. Simply put, to do so would be irresponsible.
What I do know is that a team as young as this, no matter how promising the talent may be, shouldn't be expected to exceed expectations week in and week out. I expect this team to lose a game it probably shouldn't, I only hope it grabs a few victories from the jaws of defeat also! Anyone not expecting to see struggles this year will be sorely disappointed and unrealistic.

PM

Ps Is that Sylvester Croom in the photo?

"Tell your mama and your daddy I'm a little school boy too" Mississippi Fred McDowell

BamaMan12

Scout Team
Feb 11, 2005
Huntsville,Alabama
www.myspace.com
You know what crim&kent is right bunch of loud mouths & as@! holes!
The media & press always gives us Underdogs to lose against teams like Florida.

Wait! the score 31-3 we beat Florida again 3X times in a roll Twice in 1999. Another example the Sugar Bowl 34-13 win over Miami.

It seems to me we are the Underdogs against bigger teams.
What makes this to turn around well that is why we are Roll Tide!

We ROLL all over the Media,Press,etc. :BigA:

crimsNkentucky

Scout Team
Jan 15, 2006
www.RollCrimsonTide.com
Originally Posted by NYBamaFan View Post
Best comment yet and there are an awful lot of people wasting their time. I am one of them for wasting my time reading some of these threads.
The point of this post was to get others who are supportive of the team and coach Shula and are not filled with negativity to speak up. I have accomplished that goal. I am not trying to get people to always see my way, I'm just expressing my views. I posted this to be constructive. What is the point of the destructive post?

GrayTide, your screen name portrays your outlook on things well. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.