Three star kicker could be right move

Allen Smith(3-star player) from SC. seems very interested in coming to play for the tide. I read that he made 47 out of 48 PAT including a 51 yard field goal. This sounds like a great deal if we could get him. but the tide didn't offer him anything. My question is what happens next? does he walk on and earn a scolly? I think we could use him.. (see- Tennessee game and others)

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
There are several options. The best option for the Tide would be for him to walk on and then be given a scholarship from somebody who leaves or actually who has left the team. We can't give him one from our current allotment, but we can give him one if somebody leaves the team. It's one of those bend but don't break the rules kind of situations. We aren't allowed to give him one, but we can tell him that he can earn one very quickly...like spring practice...knowing all along that we'll have one available. He'll just have to pay for his first 6 months of school.

------------------
"I can take mine and beat his and I can take his 'n beat mine."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
There are several options. The best option for the Tide would be for him to walk on and then be given a scholarship from somebody who leaves or actually who has left the team. We can't give him one from our current allotment, but we can give him one if somebody leaves the team. It's one of those bend but don't break the rules kind of situations. We aren't allowed to give him one, but we can tell him that he can earn one very quickly...like spring practice...knowing all along that we'll have one available. He'll just have to pay for his first 6 months of school.

By the way, we need the BEST KICKER WE CAN GET! I am totally in favor of using a scholarship on a kicker if he's that good. Kicking has cost us at least 2 games this year alone and possibly 3!

------------------
"I can take mine and beat his and I can take his 'n beat mine."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
The problem is even if they are the highest ranked kicker in the nation that is no guarantee that they will perform at the same level in college. For example, see Mike McLaughlin. The blue chip kicker on scholarship. If a kicker doesn't pan out there isn't another position they can contribute to, therefore a waste of a scholarship.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Danny Haynes was another kicker that had a hard time adjusting to college kicking. He finally transfered and is kicking at Memphis St. I think, but he lost his accuracy when he first came to Alabama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.