Coaches and players don't know when to stop talking to the media

Mussofan22

1st Team
Jun 24, 2002
Huntsville, AL, USA
Am I alone in thinking Rader, Darby and other people with this team need to let the media and our opponents figure out for themselves what our plans are in the next game? DuBose use to give away his game plan before almost every game. For all the wrong he did our university, Coach Fran never gave away his plan for the next game. Shula did it some, and now in the article below from the B'ham News, Rader and Darby are talking about our offensive plans against OSU.

I was at a press conference in 1981 before the Cotton Bowl and a sportswriter asked Coach Bryant what his plans were for Texas. Bear looked at the guy like he was an idiot and said "I'm not gonna tell you what my plans are against Texas. Why would I do something as stupid as that?".

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1166620524165300.xml&coll=1

BamaJoker

Scout Team
Sep 7, 2006
Memphis, TN
Well, most folks seem to hate that Shula never revealed anything to the media (game plans, discipline, player status, etc). And this is one reason "everyone" wanted him gone.

Me, personally, I LOVED that! I can't stand the media's 'ego' thinking that they should be in all of the decisions of the football program and bashing the coaches who don't bend over for them...

I can tell you that if I was coach, the media wouldn't like me either...

Tide64

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2004
Yes, you're alone. The whole point of the article was that no one knows what to expect.

Mussofan22

1st Team
Jun 24, 2002
Huntsville, AL, USA
Someone needs to work on their reading comprehension skills...
Read the quote below and tell me that again. This is not as damaging as DuBose telling the media exactly what we were going to do, but it's more than I would like to see us say.

"We're adding a little more running to our schemes now," tailback Kenneth Darby said. "(Rader) can change his mind all of a sudden, but as far as I can see, we're going to run more."

alatider

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
The center of Alabama
Bear would use the media to his advantage. I remember he used to put the word out that certain key players were hurt, but then they would end up plying in that week's game.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Read the quote below and tell me that again. This is not as damaging as DuBose telling the media exactly what we were going to do, but it's more than I would like to see us say.

"We're adding a little more running to our schemes now," tailback Kenneth Darby said. "(Rader) can change his mind all of a sudden, but as far as I can see, we're going to run more."

Considering there's a 50/50 chance that the next play is going to be a run or a pass, the above quote really doesn't reveal much.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
Doesn't look like I'm alone to me. Some other here agree. ;)
I think the problem with this debate is that you are looking at it from a stange angle. To say we're going to run the ball more doesn't give away ANYTHING. For all we know, it could be a lie from Darby trying to throw OK STATE off...or it could mean we're going to run the ball more, but we're going to be much more creative in our running game. In other words, what he says doesn't really say much at all.

For all we know we are going to run more, but the schemes our line uses to block or the formations we use prior to the play could be 100% diffferent. It could also mean that we're going to run more out of the shotgun or we're going to run more with one back sets. Do you see my point? Just saying we're going to run more doesn't tell anybody anything.

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL

And?? Given that we have no back-up QB, it's not a surprise.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
FWIW, Johns is firmly entrenched now as the #2 QB... if anyone had doubts about the situation. If his wrist holds up, I can see them working him in with the ones on occassion.

paul02085

All-SEC
Sep 12, 2004
Loganville, Ga.
Well, most folks seem to hate that Shula never revealed anything to the media (game plans, discipline, player status, etc). And this is one reason "everyone" wanted him gone.

Me, personally, I LOVED that! I can't stand the media's 'ego' thinking that they should be in all of the decisions of the football program and bashing the coaches who don't bend over for them...

I can tell you that if I was coach, the media wouldn't like me either...

Maybe there was nothing to reveal.:eek2:

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Kines has given a different stance. He has said thar we weren't going to change things up much. I think it is still going to be a mistery.

BamaJoker

Scout Team
Sep 7, 2006
Memphis, TN
Kines has given a different stance. He has said thar we weren't going to change things up much. I think it is still going to be a mistery.
I agree. It won't be that much different.

I've heard some folks (like that idiot Kim or Kelly or whatever-her-name-is on JOX) say that they think that Bama will "revamp" the offense for the bowl game.

My response is: "HUH???????" :conf3:

It is a BOWL game. It is for ONE game. They do not have the time or enough practices to "revamp" anything. The play calling in certain situations may change. A few gimmick plays may be thrown in for fun (it is a bowl game after all). They may run a little more or throw on third and one (vs the Jumbo package). But a "revamp"... Gimme a break. :rolleye2:

Bama63

1st Team
Oct 25, 2000
Louisville, KY, Jefferson
To me, this says it all

<< Rader: "In this situation, I think there's a little more pressure than usual because Mike Shula, in my opinion, is an excellent play-caller. >>

I agree with that, and I don't look for a lot different in the play calling. Let's just hope there is better execution.

RTR

:BigA:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.