South Carolina signee charged with armed robbery

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
Another one to add to the criminal report.

A South Carolina signee charged with armed robbery in Savannah, Ga., has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and could have the charge removed from his record.

Dorian Capers, 18, was fined $400 and sentenced to six months of probation after pleading guilty to the lesser charge of theft by taking, according to court records.

South Carolina signee pleads guilty to misdemeanor

It will be interesting to see how South Carolina and Holts handle this situation.

You remember how Holts handled the Bama recruit K.T. Mainord situation. He was sent home early from his Bama visit for allegedly stealing a wallet. Holts then signed him to a scholarship even after knowing the situation of the Bama visit. I would link the story about how Holts handled the situation but it is not on the USC Gamecocks site anymore.

Here is a recent article from The Post-Herald.

"The more we can educate ourselves, whether it's our players, hostesses or coaches, anyone that is involved with these student-athletes that come in here, we can stay ahead of potential problems before they happen," said Shula. "And it starts with bringing the right kind of guys in here."

Shula showed this winter that he and his players are always on guard. Following a misunderstanding involving a co-ed's purse at a campus party, Shula sent Coalmont, Tenn., defensive lineman Kevin Mainord home early from an official visit. Mainord, who later denied any wrongdoing, eventually signed with South Carolina.

"We had a guy that came in, and we (thought) he was a thief," Tide senior linebacker Cornelius Wortham said of Mainord. "We didn't want to have a guy with that kind of character around, so we went to Coach Shula — and he put him on a Greyhound bus home."

Scroll down to the article.

Winds of change: College recruiting set to get major overhaul

[This message has been edited by Crimson Surfer (edited 05-25-2004).]

SemperDuc

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 2, 2003
New Philadelphia, Ohio, U.S.A.
Perhaps if was just an "off-the-cuff" example, but what is wrong with feeding potential recruits steak? As a non-athlete at a state university, I can recall steak being served at the dorm cafeteria about once a month. Of course it was obtained from the ag school and you couldn't have seconds, but a recruit is only there for a day and there is nothing wrong with "putting on the dog" for them. Hmm, didn't the A-Day loser have to eat hot dogs instead of steak a couple of years ago? RTR

BamaArrived2006

All-American
Apr 2, 2003
Marietta, Georgia
Now SC is a thug school too, no surprise they're a little to close to UcheaT and OBknoxville to not be!!!!!!

------------------
I Remember '55

"Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself." Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

"I can't tell you what it means to me to be dressed and in that tunnel and running onto the field at Bryant- Denny Stadium." #56 Todd Bates, Senior 2004.

I BELIEVE

SoonerInFla

May 21, 2002
Pensacola, Fla. USA
Would be hard to form an objective opinion on the recruit that got sent home from Bama just based on the info provided. I see the word "misunderstanding" and a player saying the kids a theif. I will say this though. I'd be surprised to learn that Lou Holtz is running a thug program these days. During the 1978 Orange Bowl, Holtz suspended 6 starters from an Arkansas team going up against one of the better Sooner teams I've ever seen. Suspended as in...you guys are not playing in our Bowl Game tonight... as opposed to you're sitting out the first series. Arkansas went on to stomp OU's butts all over the Orange Bowl that night in what could have been a National Championship game for OU. Some freshman replacing a suspended player is probably still running through the Sooner endzone.

Bodizatfa

Banned
Apr 23, 2002
You need to remember whose house you are in.

Consider this your second strike.

TerryP

[This message has been edited by TerryP (edited 05-30-2004).]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.