A ? on the effect of barner's move...

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
How will recruiting be affected by TT firing both coordinators? Seems to me like the timing could not be worse...

I don't think that there is ever a good time to fire an OC or DC but the timing for AU was TERRIBLE. I would assume that this will hurt their recruiting. Some players really want to know who their OC or DC will be in order to figure out if that school is going to run a D or O that they like or feel that they can thrive in.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
*IF* they were going to make a change, they made it at the only possible time. AU coaches had a come-to-the-lord meeting with the powerbrokers after the UA-AU game and it leaked out. If the decision had already been made to axe Lovett and Mazzone -- I contend it was made before the bowl, but the coaches could have earned a reprieve and didn't -- then waiting until after signing day would have simply allowed rumors to fester over the course of the recruiting season. This news hurts them in the short term, but there is enough time to repair the damage especially if they hire some big names within the next 7-10 days.

The Spurrier resignation will hurt them a little, as practically any coach would prefer the situation in Gainesville to the morass that awaits any coach heading to a job at AU under the current state of that program. On the other hand, they are helped by every day Alabama doesn't receive its judgment from the NCAA.

------------------
Jess Nicholas
Editor-In-Chief
TideFans.com

But Jess, chances are AU will bring in some guys that are ice cold on the recruiting trail and the potential recruits know nothing about them and vice versa. I'm not saying that ground cannot be made up but it's tough to do. Yes, Coach Fran did an admirable job in his first season on the trail but it was pretty tough. Some of the guys he landed were from near super human effort (i.e. Brodie Croyle).

Rumors of those guys being fired and still recruiting are better than bringing in guys with 4 weeks (or less) in the recruiting season that are ice cold.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Just remember that the coordinators rarely recruit off-campus anyway. It would have hurt them worse to lose Joe Whitt.

As it is, their relationships with individual recruiters stay the same, and the recruiters can sell them on the prowess of any big name they bring in. That's why it's not automatically a negative.

------------------
Jess Nicholas
Editor-In-Chief
TideFans.com

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.