The South Rises Again

GrandBayTider

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2004
Prattville, AL
All of the contenders from the Southern Bracket of the playoffs won their game. I wonder if that has happened before? Lots of good games and an exciting finish to a good season.

UAEngineer113

All-SEC
Jan 25, 2005
Tuscaloosa
I believe the Super 6 ended with the south winning 5 of the 6 games. I do believe Cordova is from the northern bracket seeing as they're near Jasper.

I went 6/6 on my Super 6 prediction though. ;)

pvilleguru

1st Team
Feb 2, 2007
yes, they are in the northern part of the state, yet are in the south bracket. the south went 6-0 this year.

drjamesm

All-American
Nov 12, 2003
bham,al,USA
yes, they are in the northern part of the state, yet are in the south bracket. the south went 6-0 this year.
They may be in the south bracket,but Cordova is not a south Al. team.That said the south still went 5/6 which is outstanding.IMO,the best HS football is played in the Mobile and B'ham areas as always in Al.
For example.Hoover,Vestavia,Spain Park,Briarwood,Homewood,sometimes Pelham.
St. Paul,Mcgill T.,Daph.,Foley,UMS,etc.
I would not consider Prattville a southern Al. team they are more a central Al. team,and Cordova is a northern Al. team.
However,as a rule Mobile and the areas close by seem loaded.

pvilleguru

1st Team
Feb 2, 2007
when we start having a north/south/central playoff, then we'll consider prattville a central team. the middle of the state is clanton. prattville is south of that.

drjamesm

All-American
Nov 12, 2003
bham,al,USA
when we start having a north/south/central playoff, then we'll consider prattville a central team. the middle of the state is clanton. prattville is south of that.
Man..you really consider Prattville a south Al school,they may be in the south brackett,but it is north of Montgomery last time I checked!

UAEngineer113

All-SEC
Jan 25, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Man..you really consider Prattville a south Al school,they may be in the south brackett,but it is north of Montgomery last time I checked!
Geographically, the Clanton, Thorsby, Jemison region is the halfway mark of the state from north to south. Prattville is definitely in the south.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
IMO,the best HS football is played in the Mobile and B'ham areas as always in Al.
Here in West Alabama, we had more than our share of poor football teams this year.

However -- both American Christian (2A) and Central (4A) hosted semifinal games on the same night. Both games were decided in the final minute, with Central eventually winning the championship.

Tuscaloosa County, the best West Alabama team IMO, didn't even make it past the second round.

Hard to explain.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
All of the contenders from the Southern Bracket of the playoffs won their game. I wonder if that has happened before? Lots of good games and an exciting finish to a good season.
The most recent that I could find is:

6A Vigor 19-13 Shades Valley
5A Greenville 21-20 (OT) Russellville
4A Elmore County 28-7 Alexandria
3A UMS Prep 28-7 Oneonta
2A Reeltown 9-7 Winston County
1A Montgomery Acad. 13-6 Billingsley

The closest that the North Bracket has come to a sweep was in 1995, when Clay Co. edged Hazlewood 7-6 in the 2A final for the only South victory that year.

(from Alabama High School Football Historical Society, www.ahsfhs.org)

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Congrats to the Prattville Lions on back to back 6A titles. Kudos to the Prattville fanbase on an awesome showing in Birmingham. From the pregame Lion Walk to the post game parade in downtown, a great crowd and environment.

I also got to see the Clay/Cordova game, two evenly matched teams made for a good game to watch from a spectator point of view. It looked like Clay was going to send it to overtime but Cordova's D made terrific plays on the last two downs.

Congratulations to all 12 teams that made it to the finals, there were about 372 other teams that would have liked to have been playing there this week.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There`s just not that many 3A schools in the southern part of the state so the ahsaa has to put one of the regions from the northern part of the state in the south bracket to even up the divisions.
I see why the AHSAA would have to place Cordova in the south bracket, but Clay County is south of Cordova. Can someone please explain how they ended up in the north bracket?

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
I see why the AHSAA would have to place Cordova in the south bracket, but Clay County is south of Cordova. Can someone please explain how they ended up in the north bracket?
My guess would be that the majority of their regions teams were up in the northeast to central/east part of the state.

Clay County
Glencoe
Hokes Bluff
Leeds
Lincoln
Munford
Walter Wellborn
Weaver

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Using Clanton as the geographic center of the state, there are many more 3A teams NORTH of Clanton than there are SOUTH of Clanton.

Also, if you draw a line from east to west across the middle of Jefferson County, the two regions which include Cordova (region 4) and Clay Co (region 5) have half of their teams NORTH of that line, and half SOUTH of that line.

So the finalists could just have easily (from a geographic perspective) been Greensboro (region 4) vs Hokes Bluff (region 5). That wouldn't have been as confusing.

Here's a link to the current 3A Region map:

http://www.talismanred.com/ratings/highschool/class3a_labels.jpg

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.