Kerry Wants to Send Troops to Haiti

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Support for Aristide is suprising. John Conyers(D) Ga. says that we must support Aristide because he is really a democrat.
John Kerry is outraged that Bush will not. The UN wants to send troops in but will not with out the US's help. John Kerry is angered by Bush because he will not support Aristide although Aristide has oppressed the Haitian people and intimidated many not to vote. Only ten percent voted in the 2000 election for fear of violence against them by Aristide paramilitary group. John Kerry said that if he were president then he would send in the military as peacekeepers.
Get it in the "Wall Street Journal".

Pachydermatous

All-American
Feb 21, 2000
Birmingham, AL, Jefferson
Still more dumbness. When Aristide was elected he was hailed by libs in this country as Haiti's savior. Apparently a lot of folks there don't hold the same opinion.

Face it. Haiti is a hopeless cause. Whoever is running the show will sooner or later be toppled. The only two who hung on for any length of time were Papa Doc and Baby Doc Duvalier, both absolute dictators. Aristide doesn't have a chance. Sooner or later they will get him and another target will be set up as president.

[This message has been edited by Pachydermatous (edited 02-25-2004).]

Bama's Belle

Scout Team
Feb 22, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Displaced Bama Fan:
What a nut. GWB made the right call and said no troops to Haiti and no Haitians to the US. Another two thumbs up for GWB.</font>
I dont think we need to send troops yet...I think that Aristede needs to go, and I think the people will get rid of him on their own.

But...I have a huge problem with the fact that Latino's and Mexicans can run over the border anytime they want to, but the Haitians cannot come here. Seems a bit...you know...But since his brothers wife is Mexican, I really shouldnt be surprised.

In my opinion, Bush is a hypocrite in that sense. He praises illegal immigrants, but I guess thats as long as they are Mexican or Cuban, the border from Mexico is Open, and you can float over here on a tire and as long as you are Cuban, you are allowed entry. I think its either you like immigrants, or you have your own agenda, and Bush seems to have his own agenda...

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Cap, That is why I have no use for Bill Maher. I find it funny that he would support military intervention there but not in a country where many more were being killed and tortured. Typical, he would bash Bush if he went in. He makes baseless comments. One of the worst things to call someone is racist. I am very sensitive to this because I have been called that on this board for being conservative. My family was placed under watch because my uncle had prosecuted some white supremecist and soon after their group bombed his office. Fortunately for us, he was not at the office but his best friend was and was killed.

Belle, you are way off also implying that Bush is racist. His amnesty act is not just for "Mexicans" as you put it. It includes Haitians, Cubans, The English, Romanians and all illegals that are currently here. I am suprised at you to stereotype as you did.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Belle - You know I'm in complete agreement with you. We need to have one single immigration policy - no illegal immigration. GWB has dropped the ball on this one, in general.

Bama's Belle

Scout Team
Feb 22, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Displaced Bama Fan:
Belle - You know I'm in complete agreement with you. We need to have one single immigration policy - no illegal immigration. GWB has dropped the ball on this one, in general.</font>
Exactly Displaced, I mean, It is absolutely unfair to have a policy on one group and not another, I dont like this country's policy on immigration. Dont have the border open period, and especially show one group a preference. Thats uncalled for.

Mama, say what you want, but I am of the opinion that for Bush, its okay for certain groups to come in, but when it comes to the haitian situation its, "absolutely none of them can come in"...and its really funny considering his stance on Mexicans and Cubans...Its okay. That just seems hypocritical to me. Just the other day, he was talking about the greatness of immigrants and creates programs for illegal ones to work in this country, but the Haitians its "no, they cant come in" but the border to Mexico and cuba is a joke. Sorry but I see the bias. But Like I said, His Family is part Mexican, so it all makes sense...

I say dont let any of them in, if you do it, It should be legal. I have no problem with immigrants, I have a problem with Illegal immigrants, and I also have a problem with showing a preference for having one group come over illegal but not another...

Belle, you're confused. First, Bush's sister in law is of Cuban descent. Second, there is NOT a seperate policy for Cubans and Haitians. Third, the same rule applies for both Cubans and Haitians. Basically, if you can slip past the Coast Guard and actually set foot on dry land on the U.S., you may apply for political asylum (which is usually granted). The Coast Guard is constantly on the watch for Cubans and Haitians trying to make it over here. This isn't a one time thing right now of patroling the waters looking for Haitians.

Fourth, while I don't agree with the President and the amnesty thing for illegals (of any nationality), the President has NOT opened the borders to Mexico wide open (yet anyway). Mexicans cannot "run across the border anytime they want to". We have a border patrol to handle that. Granted, they may be desperately undermanned and underfunded but that's their job.

Haiti is a hopeless basket case of a country, doomed to eternal stupidity. Installing our choice of a government only leads to more accusations world wide that we're involved in affairs that aren't our own. My brother is active duty Army and was in Haiti the last time we went in there. He says the general consensus at the time was "Oh good, the Americans are here. We'll never have to work again. They'll clothe, feed and house us. We'll get free health care for life. They'll handle all aspects of our lives from now on."

No, no, no! A thousand times no to sending troops to Haiti. It's a hopeless country and sending troops there would be an effort in spending good money after bad.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Belle, Your post sounds racist, though I have read your post enough to know that you aren't. You stereotype that all illegals are Mexican and that is just not true. In Atlanta there are alot of Romanian illegals but they look white and you don't hear people saying "damn Romanians." In L.A., when I lived there, I knew alot of English and Irish illegals and you don't hear "Damn English." They lived mostly in the Santa Monica area. In New York, there are many Nigerians who are illegal and I don't hear "Damn Nigerians." So why is it when we talk about illegals we always hear "Damn Mexicans"? I s it a prejudice that has been accepted? Also, many Hispanics are legal and get verbally abused. I mentioned before that on of my closest friends is Costa Rican. He was adopted when he was three by American parents and is well educated. Yet he will have people make illegal comments to him even though he has a very good job and dresses very nice. He speaks perfect English but still people will say to him "can you speak English?", yet he doesn't speak Spanish. Bush's amnesty law includes all these nationalities. White Black and hispanic are all allowed to stay. How is that racist? Why is it that when we talk about illegals, we must stereotype and only talk about the Hispanic population? Could it be that you have a bias?
I agree that we need to clamp down our borders, but to stereotype and single out Mexicans is wrong.

[This message has been edited by Mamacalled (edited 02-28-2004).]

Bama's Belle

Scout Team
Feb 22, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
TiderinVa, No she's not, she is Mexican, Check the link
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/666399/posts

I know Very Well, that there are people of other nations that are illegals in this country...I am not singling out Mexicans, it seems as though to me, our policy is far more relaxed when it comes to them than others.

Those haitians that all came over on that truck all got sent back, so no, its not that all of them who get over here get to stay...

I did not say the border is in actuality wide open, I'm saying it might as well should be considering our border policy with Mexico...

And No, I have no bias, its your president who seems to have a bias...

Where did I sterotype that all illegals are latins? Because thats false... What I said was that Bush seems to have a preference for them over any other type illegal, and thats not right...You treat them all one and the same I say...I know a bunch of immigrants who in fact feel this way, that the U.S shows partiality to Cuban and Mexican Immigrants, and these people are Asian, Jamican, Haitian etc...they honestly feel the U.S shows a preference, and so do I.

NatchezTider

All-SEC
Jan 13, 2000
Natchez, Ms. USA
Belle: You know I'm as conservative as they come, but I don't like Bush's immigration policy.
However, it has been your liberal party that has done nothing about illegal immigration over the years because the barrio votes very heavily for the dems! This problem didn't just crop up. The dems controlled Congress for forty years and didn't do a damn thing about illegal immigration save a few guards every 100 miles or so along the border!
The US has reached the "no turning back" point concerning illegals (especially those coming into the Southwest). Bush just succumbed to giving in, instead of continuing a losing fight against it. That's why Caucasians will be in the minority in this country by 2050. Thank goodness, I'll be dead by then. You, my dear, and your children, will have to live with it. Do you speak Spanish?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
As one of the few on this board that has had the "pleasure" of having been in Haiti, I can tell y'all that it is a deeply troubled country, and any intervention by the US military to prop up (or overthrow) Jean Bertrand Aristide will not likely have any lasting benefit. The "Macoute" or supporters of Raoul Cedras (the dictator Jimmy Carter and Colin Powell bought off in 1994) were a bunch of brutal thugs that abused the people ofthe country. The supporters of Aristide (the Lavalas or "Cleansing" Party) were slightly less brutal thugs. The practice of "necklacing" political oponents (putting an old tire around the victim's neck, pouring in gasoline and lighting it on fire) started with Lavalas supporters as the perpetrators and Macoutes as victims. Aristide's supporters have done some anti-democratic and unconstitutional things himself. It seems to me that supporting one tainted politician over other thugs is not worth a single GI's life, especially at this time, when our military is heavily engaged in Iraq and Afghanistan. This policy statement by Kerry sure looks to me like pandering to the Congressional Black Caucus. If Haiti is going to get better, the Haitians are going to have to do it themselves. In the meantime, maybe the French will take the island back ...

Bama's Belle

Scout Team
Feb 22, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NatchezTider:
Belle: You know I'm as conservative as they come, but I don't like Bush's immigration policy.
However, it has been your liberal party that has done nothing about illegal immigration over the years because the barrio votes very heavily for the dems! This problem didn't just crop up. The dems controlled Congress for forty years and didn't do a damn thing about illegal immigration save a few guards every 100 miles or so along the border!
The US has reached the "no turning back" point concerning illegals (especially those coming into the Southwest). Bush just succumbed to giving in, instead of continuing a losing fight against it. That's why Caucasians will be in the minority in this country by 2050. Thank goodness, I'll be dead by then. You, my dear, and your children, will have to live with it. Do you speak Spanish?
</font>
Oh You'll be around Natchez...I suspect you'll be around for years to come

But seriously, Yes I know, Caucasians will be in the minority by 2050 and also in Britain, they will be the minority quicker than that...Just something we'll have to learn to live with.

NatchezTider

All-SEC
Jan 13, 2000
Natchez, Ms. USA
Why thank you, Belle, for that vote of confidence. But, I'm 52 years old, and although I have a job that keeps me young (so to speak....teaching high school/coaching baseball), I really don't think I'll make it another 46 years!!!!!!!

But I promise you one thing, darling, I'm gonna live life to the fullest for the time I do have left! I've got lots of bass to catch, deer to kill, and one special lady to keep me occupied away from the classroom and playing field.

(See, there is a human side to me after all!!)

Bama's Belle

Scout Team
Feb 22, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NatchezTider:
Why thank you, Belle, for that vote of confidence. But, I'm 52 years old, and although I have a job that keeps me young (so to speak....teaching high school/coaching baseball), I really don't think I'll make it another 46 years!!!!!!!

But I promise you one thing, darling, I'm gonna live life to the fullest for the time I do have left! I've got lots of bass to catch, deer to kill, and one special lady to keep me occupied away from the classroom and playing field.
</font>
I'm Glad to Hear that.

What kind of fishing do you do? I caught a 12 pound Catfish this summer, I might even be able to post a pic

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.