Where is Roy Upchurch?

Aries

2nd Team
Jul 13, 2001
Mobile, Al
He's fallen off the radar...I know he has been in the dog house in the past, but nothing is being said of him. Is he still on the team?

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
He is still with the team but apparently is finding himself somewhat buried on the depth chart behind Coffee and Co. Based on recent comments from Coach Saban, one can surmise that the rotation at RB will be something like Glen Coffee/Terry Grant, Mark Ingram/Roy Upchurch. Then you have Matchett and Jordan (now at linebacker). According to practice reports, Ingram has been impressive and may have moved ahead of Upchurch, but that is just speculation at this point. I'm not sure he's in the doghouse, but there is just stiff competition at the RB position now. I'd think he'll get some playing time though as Coach Saban has stated he likes having 3-4 backs to rotate.

crimson_blood

All-American
Jul 22, 2006
Helena, AL
He is still with the team but apparently is finding himself somewhat buried on the depth chart behind Coffee and Co. Based on recent comments from Coach Saban, one can surmise that the rotation at RB will be something like Glen Coffee/Terry Grant, Mark Ingram/Roy Upchurch. Then you have Matchett and Jordan (now at linebacker). According to practice reports, Ingram has been impressive and may have moved ahead of Upchurch, but that is just speculation at this point. I'm not sure he's in the doghouse, but there is just stiff competition at the RB position now. I'd think he'll get some playing time though as Coach Saban has stated he likes having 3-4 backs to rotate.
You got it, CC. It's not that he's doing anything wrong or not working hard...he just can't unseat the guys above him...and that's actually really good news for us.

The good thing about RU is he's got a ton of good experience and he will be able to come in and be a contributor if we start having injury problems. He's still in the rotation...don't give up on him just yet.

drjamesm

All-American
Nov 12, 2003
bham,al,USA
He still gets a few carries each scrimmage,but he is running 4th at this time.Also,N Stover is alittle father up the depht chart at 3rd WR.To be honest,I like that we are getting some depht now!:)Its nice to know we got 4 rb's to carry the rock,and 9 different wr's to throw to that can catch the thing.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
He's still on the team, but it does not look like he'll be in the RB rotation.
Upchurch is in the rotation but at the present seems behind Coffee, Grant and probably Ingram. Any injury to another running back or improvement on his part would make his stock rise and fall. But the off the cuff remark it doesn't look like he will be in the rotation is wrong.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Something tell me he is a gamer - sort of like Shaun Alexander. If he could get a decent amount of carries in meaningful situations during a game, I think he would impress us. I am not aware of his practice habits but to me he has shown flashes when he has been in the game. But he probably needs 5-10 carries in a game to get a rhythm going.

Athletically, he reminds me of Roy Hudson.

I personally think that if we were running the West Coast/Split Back Formation this year that we have the talent back there this year to replicate the Cadillac/Brown production AU had a few years ago.

I think we will see him contribute at some point in the year. Ingram probably is running ahead of him in practice right now. But you get these coaches in a big game and in the moment they will select game experience over everything else. RU has that and MI doesnt yet.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.