What Embarrassing Episode Happened At The 2001 LSU Game?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Please note: a Bama fan of 30 years, I was in medical school in 2001, so I only got to see snippets of games at best. But I came across this on the Net and wondered if somebody could tell me what it's about (esp. since our coach was the LSU coach in that game):

The following week's LSU game was fairly close, but nothing short of an embarrassment for reasons I need not remind anyone of.

This is from Roll BAma Roll (Or something like that) and going over fRan's tenure.

What happened in the 2001 LSU game that was so terrible?

thanks.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
Alabama gave up 528 yards passing in the game and 611 yards of total offense.

LSU won the game 35-21.

I'm pretty sure this is the most passing yardage Alabama has ever given up in a single game. I'm not sure if it's the most total yardage given up by an Alabama team. It was 611 yards, so I would hope that's the most we've given up in a single game.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2001-2002/bama09.html#GAME.NEW

Last edited:

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Fran broke the clasp on his bra & had a run in his hose .

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
Yeah... the embarrassing thing was watching our secondary let Rohan Davey and Josh Reed rewrite the SEC single game passing record book.
I remember going to this game with my Dad. Rohan Davey kept throwing this quick hitter to Josh Reed, who would turn upfield and run for a first down. They did this, I swear, no less than 15 times. Worked every time.

I would be willing to bet that Josh Reed had at least 100 yards of receiving from passes caught at the Line of Scrimmage. It was the most infuriating game to watch.

nivekstan

1st Team
Dec 9, 2005
Rising Fawn, GA
I remember that game vividly, this post made me extremely curious as to exactly what josh reed's stats were for that game.

So a quick check, and as I remembered, Reed had 19 receptions, for 293 yards and 1 touchdown.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Well, I could offer up that it was also the first time in 30 years that Bama had lost to lsu IN baton rouge. I think that was the icing on the cake. I was also there to witness that. Brutal.
Right era for the 1st loss in Red Stick, but the particular game mentioned was in BDS. exiled, jr. & I went. He was in 8th grade, and he was calling the short out to Reed ahead of time. It was brutal. To make it worse, the guy we went with was an LSU fan, and when we had to split up to find tix he wound up sitting next to--get this--Van Tiffen! We come out of the stadium, meet him, & he says "you know a guy named Van Tiffen? That's who I bought a ticket from & sat with..."

Would've been a nasty day all around, but I did get to go to BDS w/ my son, which is always awesome...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Is that the game where the two LSU "guy" fans were shown on TV being a little too affectionate in celebrating?
That would be after the OT loss in 2005.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJP6KH3ZOo8]YouTube - LSU vs BAMA kiss[/ame]

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
Right era for the 1st loss in Red Stick, but the particular game mentioned was in BDS. exiled, jr. & I went. He was in 8th grade, and he was calling the short out to Reed ahead of time. It was brutal. To make it worse, the guy we went with was an LSU fan, and when we had to split up to find tix he wound up sitting next to--get this--Van Tiffen! We come out of the stadium, meet him, & he says "you know a guy named Van Tiffen? That's who I bought a ticket from & sat with..."

Would've been a nasty day all around, but I did get to go to BDS w/ my son, which is always awesome...
By chance, was Leigh with him? Leigh at that time would have probably been about the same age as your son.

Redline

Scout Team
Aug 31, 2008
Smith Lake, AL
It was after and during that game I realized that we had a very long road back to recover from the DuBose years. I just didn't realize how long it would take.

What I specifically remember was how outclassed we looked on the field. Every LSU player looked to have at least 4 inches, 30-50 lbs, and half a second more speed at every position. I did hate playing those guys, because I knew our chances were always going to be lousy unless big changes were made in our program. This game is the one I remembered when CNS was hired.

Nice to be on the other side now. Am I the only one who gets this big, stupid involuntary grin whenever I see Saban in Crimson?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Which begs the question how did a team coached by Franchione on his way out of Tuscaloosa go to Baton Rouge in 2002 and destroy a CNS coached LSU team?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The answer to Fran and 2002 was that the game was a personal vendetta for Fran. He wasn't coaching for Bama's benefit, but for himself. He'd bought into that dumb fake story of CNS's supposed locker room speech. That clearly showed in his little postgame tantrum...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.