a few football tidebits...and where we are looking for the final 4 slots

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
Again, this is from Reggie...a guy very close to the program and one of the avenues Rodney Orr uses on TI to "unofficially" pass news along. It's very seldom that Reggie (BamaK on TI) will post something that ends up being wrong.

As I've posted previously, the staff's 4 top priorities are:

1. Lorenzo Washington (Private)
2. RB (Manson or Walker)
3. WR (Brown, Kendrick, or Hall)
4. DL (Mainord since Qualified)

This list has obviously changed with the loss of Mainord. I've been told that the staff will now take both HS WR's, Brown and Hall, if we can hold both. That tells me that they expect to hold only 1 RB since it is doubtful we could hold both. They have always stated that Manson was their top choice because of the philosophy of securing your local base thus discouraging out-of-state rivals. However, the fact is that though Manson has told the staff privately that he will switch from UF he hasn't pulled the trigger. If Darius has indeed settled on Bama then I believe that will close the RB slot but can't state with certainty that is the staff's position like in past posts.

Darius Walker is considered to be the better pure runner/football player of the 2 prospects so that's my personal preference. I've been told the staff has a plan even though the numbers seem too high to fit in 19 official slots in this class so just don't get too nervous.

By the way, what's the answer to the recent Riddle ?

-It's not too smart to attempt theft on a visit. Please just refrain from discussion on this but that's what evidently happened.

-More steam regarding Rader out of Birmingham sources but there has been assurances of no changes this year from official channels.

There will be info that I may decide to clarify relating to Memphis but likely after Signing Day but that's where things stand right now.

As always, I hope this helps......................................

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
A couple of notes I thought you might get a kick out of.

You guys saw how *contained* Coach Shula was on the sidelines this past season. "Cool as a cucumber" doesn't even begin to describe him, does it? When he commented the other day on the facilities he said "they make my eyes pop out." Belive you me, that's a statement coming from him. Now, take that and think about this...what on earth do you think the recruits and their family's think?

The only school that can say has a better (in this case bigger) facility is Nebraska. Bama could have built our bigger but Nebraska would have just added on to theirs to continue boasting "we've got the biggest in the NCAA." To say the least, our facilites take a back seat no one

Kudo's to Coach Moore for the job he's done on the additions.

Kudo's to Coach Randolph for our success reaching athletes in Georgia. He's done a great job getting Bama competitive in that area again.

Same goes for Sparky Woods. It's not officially announced...but he's serving as our off campus recruiting coordinator. Remember, we still are under sanctions and are short one coach on the road recruiting this season. That bodes well for Bama when you think about next year and the years to come.

And to think...all the pundits were asking "...but can Shula recruit?"

Close 'em down Coach!!!!

T

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the post Terry. My work firewall bans TI but let's me on here and other Bama sites. Weird, but I probably would have missed this post when I got home later tonight.

Bama-fo-life

1st Team
Jan 16, 2004
Mobile, AL. USA
yahoo.com
Wow!! I did not know that we are short one coach!! That get's me real pumped and speaks real well of our University!! Cannot wait to see what happens to recruiting next year when poor tubby misplaces his job!!

Whammer Jammer

1st Team
Dec 1, 2002
High Point,NC
Put me down for Walker...I am bothered by the lingering of Manson. Let him sit on the bench for three years at UF.

------------------
Things are looking up at the Capstone!

Whammer Jammer

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
Shula's goal was to close the borders of Alabama and for his first year I would say he was quite successful.

Just think what a winning record and maybe a bowl appearance/win will do for recruiting.

The Walker/Manson issue is very interesting. If indeed Walker commits tomorrow and Manson has given a silent commitment will they give him the ultimatum or drop him? It looks like 4 is the magic number.

Washington is in. Who will commit first, Hall or Brown. Mainord out, but will Neil Brown jump in before the WR's do? Very interesting, but this is better than last year when we had to wait till summer to pick up final commitments.

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
LOL! It's funny to see people get sour about Manson trying to choose between two schools. It was the same with Carnell when he chose Auburn, everyone slammed him. Oh well. I am sure he would be the best RB in the nation if he signed with Bama.

BTW, as many pointed out that he was me me me, it was kind of ironic he decided to not go pro.

TNTider

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 8, 2000
Nashville, Tn
I'll take Walker also, on a better note, I think that DJ Hall may just land with the Tide. He stated in an article in Bamamag.com that his father wanted him to go to Alabama. I think he sees the light, he wants quick playing time, we are the choice. If he wants to cover kicks like Chad "Waste of a Redshirt Year" Jackson, then go to Flordia. See you in T-Town DJ.

Roll Tide

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
I've gotten a big kick out of seeing comments on Manson. Let's be real about it...if he has the potential to be a great RB at Bama how could he not have the same potential at Florida. Granted, they have a stable of RB's...but it's a little duplicitous.

drjamesm

All-American
Nov 12, 2003
bham,al,USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TerryP:
I've gotten a big kick out of seeing comments on Manson. Let's be real about it...if he has the potential to be a great RB at Bama how could he not have the same potential at Florida. Granted, they have a stable of RB's...but it's a little duplicitous.</font>
Of course he has potential.....however,I can see why some fans are getting tired of his lingering facination with UF and Zook. It appears the staff is also getting weary and are begining to look elsewhere. Also, I am not sure Walker will sign with UA with his strong connection to ARK. I do know one thing with only 3 rb on hand we need a rb in this class and can not wait to the last min. and not get 1.
drjamesm

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
Arkansas isn't in the picture anymore. His dad said this morning the decision (Walker) is between Ohio State and Bama.

From TI's article this morning...

Given that Alabama is running low on scholarships and that Walker has canceled upcoming visits to Notre Dame and Arkansas, some might assume that Walker is headed to Tuscaloosa. But, according to Jimmy Walker, his son also had an excellent visit to Ohio State last weekend.

"You have to remember that the coach he's closest to is Coach [Tim] Spencer at Ohio State," Jimmy Walker said. "They have a real good relationship. And he likes Georgia Tech too."

drjamesm

All-American
Nov 12, 2003
bham,al,USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TerryP:
Arkansas isn't in the picture anymore. His dad said this morning the decision (Walker) is between Ohio State and Bama.

From TI's article this morning...

Given that Alabama is running low on scholarships and that Walker has canceled upcoming visits to Notre Dame and Arkansas, some might assume that Walker is headed to Tuscaloosa. But, according to Jimmy Walker, his son also had an excellent visit to Ohio State last weekend.

"You have to remember that the coach he's closest to is Coach [Tim] Spencer at Ohio State," Jimmy Walker said. "They have a real good relationship. And he likes Georgia Tech too."

</font>
OK I stand corrected,but I do not have the resources I wish I might.....But, it still looks like you could place OS in place of Ark in my last post.

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
Thing about OSU is they are already loaded at RB...and with Clarett coming back? We'll know soon...press conference is scheduled for 1:30 CST tomorrow.

Here's their depth chart.

30 Lydell Ross ** 6-1 225 Sr.
28 Maurice Hall ** 5-10 200 Sr.
5 Ira Guilford RB 6-0 190 So.
20 Roshawn Parker RB 5-11 219 Sr.
33 Colby Staubs RB 6-0 180 So.
36 Michael DeMaria * TB 5-9 190 Sr.

New commits

Erik Haw RB 5.7 5-11/205 23 Columbus, OH
Dionte Johnson RB 5.1 5-11/225 NR Columbus, OH
Tony Pittman RB 5.8 5-11/195 13 Akron, OH

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
A few reasons I think we are in good shape for Walker.

1.Friendship with Zo Washington, who's apparently headed to Tuscaloosa;

2.Closeness to his home (his mom mentioned that as an advantage for Bama in some earlier comments in contrasting it with Stanford, in particular;

3.Closeness to his brother, who is at Jacksonville State (this fact was mentioned in a previous "What's New" interview with Dexter Wood);

4.Early playing time at Bama; and (least important)

5. the fact that he apparently feels some urgency to commit publically only two days after visiting Bama (He's been told Bama has only 3 or 4 scholarships left; of course, Ohio State may have told him the same thing about their remaining scholarships).

Crimson Hawk

Hall of Fame
Dec 16, 2001
North Alabama
A quick question regarding Reggie's comments, not trying to stir the pot but, he says "More steam regarding Rader out of Birmingham sources......." What exactly is he infering? Not that it matters, but I believe Walker will get the slot. I think Manson really wants to be away from Tuscaloosa. We are in an enviable position at worst. Roll Tide!

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
I can't say for sure other than I know of several from the '61 team who know reside in Birmingham. That's simply a guess...but a good one I think.

TupeloTide

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 28, 2003
Saltillo, MS, USA
Walker will not commit to ND, mark it down. He isn't even supposed to visit ND until this weekend.

Bama or OSU, I'd bank on it.

------------------
RTR!!!

"We are not just anybody. We are Alabama."
David Palmer

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.