Biggest Rival

PBOrange

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 22, 2004
Bradenton, FL, USA
This may be common knowledge to you Bama fans, but I have no idea. Who do you consider your biggest rival? Auburn? Is that for basketball as well? How do you feel about UK and Florida? I live in Florida and personally despise all Florida U. sports. Despite his connection to the bIg East, Billy Donovan is perceived by most SU fans as a lying cheating rule-breaking slime-ball, and I'm not even sure why. Did I leave anything out?

Our biggest rival used to be G-Town in the 70's and 80's, but in the 90's has shifted to UConn....in basketball. Football I suppose it's been Miami, which obviously is about to change.

TruCrimson

All-SEC
Aug 26, 2002
Selma, AL
Allbarn is in anything. But I love beating UT(Tenn.) Viles just as bad.

------------------
"I think that our team is made up of some great guys with some courage and some character. That’s one thing we have. That’s one thing we try to recruit." Coach Gottfried

!!!ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Let me put it this way...if we were to play Auburn in table tennis... it would have a good possibility of getting ugly. Regardless the sport or event, they are public enemy number #1. The same goes for Tennessee.

However, we've really developed a basketball rivalry with Mississippi State over the past couple of years. The schools are seperated by about 80-90 miles, and both coaches don't really care for each other. It has spilled over into recruiting and now the fan bases as well.

PBOrange

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 22, 2004
Bradenton, FL, USA
I know how that hatred towards your rival feels. The disdain that Cuse fans have towards UConn is at an all time high. I always find it interesting though, that if UConn is playing OOC (out-of-conference), I find myself pulling for them, but as soon as they oppose the Cuse the hatred fire burns strong!

I can recall several games as a teenager with G-Town, during the Patrick Ewing and John Thompson eras. Screaming at the TV, about the thugs and what-nots! I would have never thought that rivalry would ever die, but when the G-Town program declined, so did the rivalry. See, unlike yourselves we have no natural in-state rivalry. St.John's was pretty intense in the 80's, but they have since fallen completely off the b-ball map.

TruCrimson

All-SEC
Aug 26, 2002
Selma, AL
Well I pull for Allbarn....NEVER!!

------------------
"I think that our team is made up of some great guys with some courage and some character. That’s one thing we have. That’s one thing we try to recruit." Coach Gottfried

!!!ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

bnhonest

All-SEC
May 28, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Al, USA
I'll break in front of Auburn fan at chick-fil-a. I have several auburn friends, and we dont even talk sports, because we know the end result will be not speaking for months. I pull against auburn in everything. I can't really say for sure, because Alabama is all that I have ever lived, but I dont think you will find 2 schools or fans that hate each other as bad as the Alabama/Auburn Rivalry.

------------------
"Old Mexico...that sounds like the test of all test if you ask me....I'm in!"

BamafaninAu

Feb 6, 2002
I attend Auburn University and I have gone to games with some of my auburn friends trying to get in the school spirit and pull for them (when they arent' playing us and their win wouldn't hurt us only of course). I can't do it. I really can't stand florida and i remember watching the last Auburn vs Florida matchup and even then, i found myself pulling for florida as the lesser of two evils. So your statement that you pull for your biggest rival in ooc games leads me to suspect that you, like most of the rest of the country, vastly underestimate the intensity of tsdtr's inferiority complex and our disdain for them.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
In the late 80's early 90's, we had really started to be come rivals with Arkansas, when it was the Plaid Palace vs the 40 Minutes of Hell.....but that sort of withered away under Hobbs....

I think if we develop a new INTENSE rivalry with anyone it would be with MSU....I enjoyed watching them lose in a way.....I don't like Stansbury......and well.....I pull for the SEC usually....

But......how many of you are really crushed that UF, UK and MSU are gone? Not too many. I was pulling for USC and Vandy......

Mar 12, 2003
Talladega, AL.
www.line-man.com
well most people dont understand the hatred we have with aubarn. thats why the football series was halted back in the day. and like that other person said if we played the barn in ping pong good possibliity there will be a riot.

------------------
rip zach culpepper(1980-1998) well miss u #42

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
In basketball, it has been Arkansas and Kentucky, although with Kentucky being in the other division and Arkansas without Nolan, they're not what they were. Our coach in the '70s was CM Newton, who played for Rupp.

Bama Mac

BamaNation Citizen
May 30, 2000
Montgomery, AL
You did leave out a couple things re: Billy Donovan.

1. Vastly overrated as a coach.

2. Little known fact, but, as a child, played the role of Eddie Munster.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BamafaninAu:
I attend Auburn University and I have gone to games with some of my auburn friends trying to get in the school spirit and pull for them (when they arent' playing us and their win wouldn't hurt us only of course). I can't do it. I really can't stand florida and i remember watching the last Auburn vs Florida matchup and even then, i found myself pulling for florida as the lesser of two evils. So your statement that you pull for your biggest rival in ooc games leads me to suspect that you, like most of the rest of the country, vastly underestimate the intensity of tsdtr's inferiority complex and our disdain for them.</font>
I went to an Auburn-Florida game with my cousin who is a big barn fan. He had an extra ticket and kept on me to go till I finally gave in. It was hillarious. Steve Superior's bunch put up 56 points(if memory serves me correct), on munchkin Bowdens boys.

I wore my Bama baseball cap to the game and got plenty of stares. I to tried to pull for the barn against the gators for my cousins sake, but it was impossible. Every time the gators scored I'd have to look away from him. He was curseing and I was grinning from ear to ear. Needless to say we left with about 10 minutes to go in the game cause of him and I was having a large time myself.

RTR!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by wastedmason (edited 03-25-2004).]

tidedog67

Scout Team
Aug 15, 2003
Bear,DE,USA
Pborange,

Penn State WAS the biggest rival for Orangemen football--before Paterno beat it to the Big Ten. Remember Bill Hurley, Art Monk, Joe Morris and Don McPhearson--who by chance broke the Syr. losing streak.

As a Alabama graduate, my vote for the Tide's arch rival is now Tennessee and Phat Phil. You see, Auburn is this cute little ole school down in the Plains somewhere. Rank 'em 1A on the list.

ROLL TIDE.

The Butcher

Scout Team
Nov 6, 2003
Huntsville, AL, USA
I would say that in basketball, Mississippi State is quickly becoming our biggest rival. It has been us and them at the top of the SECW for the last few years. We recruit the same area. They are only 90 miles away. With the current state of AU basketball, I would say that MSU is our biggest competition and rival.

RTR,
The Butcher

------------------
butcher , noun
  • One that kills brutally or indiscriminately.
  • One who bungles something.

Rabid BAMA Fan

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 17, 2002
If Bama and the barn were to play a pin-pong match at a neutral site, and they advertised it on the local networks, there would be a very good chance that the football stadium would be sold out. That's not a joke, but a fact. Most Bama fans would rather loose to any school other than allbarn, or tennersee. We all want to beat allbarn at everything we do, but most of us absolutely hate UTee.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.