Poll: Who Should be the 14th Member of the SEC? (If the TAMU deal happens)

Who Should be the 14th Member of the SEC? (If the TAMU deal happens)

• Clemson

Votes: 37 11.7%
  • FSU

Votes: 90 28.4%
  • Ga. Tech

Votes: 21 6.6%
  • Mizzou

Votes: 39 12.3%
  • Va. Tech

Votes: 99 31.2%
  • Other... (Please State if Other)

Votes: 31 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
FSU will not happen because (1) they would not expand the TV market and (2) the University of Florida will not allow it.

Best bet would be teams from North Carolina or Virginia.

FSU will not happen because (1) they would not expand the TV market and (2) the University of Florida will not allow it.

Florida can whine all they want, but one team cannot block an addition. You have to have 25% of the conference to do that.

North Carolina or Duke won't leave without each other.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Hey, why stop with Missouri? Yes, the Saint Louis and Kansas City markets would be great, but we could do so much more!

I'd vote for:

Temple! The coveted Philadelphia market
Northwestern! Chicago is the third largest market in the U.S.
Rutgers! Lots of eyeballs in North Jersey!

Of course, this would bring in a bunch of mediocre teams to the conference, dilute the SEC regional brand, disrupt traditional rivalries, and generally usher in poorer play to the SEC. But, hey, a bigger TV contract! Yay!

In other words: I really, really do not understand why fans of existing SEC schools would be excited about this. An SEC super-conference would be good for the bottom line of member institutions. But it is going to be BAD for SEC football fans and BAD for college football fans in general.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
IMO if they were to jump into the SEC they would be a perennial middle of the pack team much like Arkansas and USCe.
I dont know about all that.... they are recruiting as well as anybody, and the environment of mentally and physically tough football is probably what makes us and the rest of the SEC good. I think FSU would do juuuust fine.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
If Texas A&M does in fact join the conference (count me as unconvinced at this point), I can guarantee you that the 14th team we add will tap a television market that is currently untapped. That's the absolute bottom line for this decision. Conference expansion is ultimately about revenue generation and nothing else. So that rules out teams like Georgia Tech, Florida State, Clemson, etc. I think it would be either Missouri/Oklahoma, or a school from North Carolina or Virginia. And from those possibilities, I think it's more likely that we wind up with Missouri or Oklahoma. I don't think the type of ACC school we would want to add (read: Virginia Tech) wants any part of playing in a tougher conference with a tougher path to BCS titles, whereas the Big XII is more volatile at this point and may end up being dissolved entirely (although they've got a pretty sweet deal themselves now with Nebraska and a conference title game out of the picture).

Now, that would create an interesting situation as you would have to essentially add two teams to the Western Division and shift someone to the East. The Mississippi schools would really have a tough road to hoe with games against Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma/Missouri every season.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I just can't understand everyone's interest in FSU. This is about money, not having the cool schools in the south or all the schools in FL or something silly like that. FSU brings absolutely nothing to the table we don't already have in FL. FSU would be about as helpful as adding Louisville or Southern Miss.

The TV contract negotiations would be real short and go something like this:

Mike Slive: Now we have FSU in the SEC. How much extra are you going to give us for that?

TV negotiator: Nothing. The SEC already owns the FL markets. You should have added a school in an area where every TV isn't already tuned into SEC games.

Mike Slive: But, everyone likes going down there and they have that cool Indian that rides that horse and all...

TV negotiator (under his breath): Idiot

Last edited:

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005

We invited FSU before back when we added Arky and USCe, and on that occassion UF actually lobbied FOR bringing FSU into the conference...

I just can't understand everyone's interest in FSU. This is about money, not having the cool schools in the south or all the schools in FL or something silly like that. FSU brings absolutely nothing to the table we don't already have in FL. FSU would be about as helpful as adding Louisville or Southern Miss.

Mike Slive: Now we have FSU in the SEC. How much extra are you going to give us for that?

TV negotiator: Nothing. The SEC already owns the FL markets. You should have added a school in an area where every TV isn't already tuned into SEC games.

Mike Slive: But, everyone likes going down there and they have that cool Indian that rides that horse and all...

As Stewart Mandel just tweeted, if that was the case... the Big 10 never would have added Nebraska. Money/TV is the driving force, but even I'll admit there will be other factors at play. (And I've been championing the money/tv angle for a while)

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Again...if we brought aTm to the SEC and got a big portion of the Texas market...I don't think the emphasis would be on another big TV market for a 14th team. Remember that you have to put a good product on the field/court if you want people to tune in. The only reason the SEC has the TV money we have now is because of our dominance over the past decade and the fact that we continue to do well in every major sport.

I think people are getting too caught up in the TV markets. The more BCS bowl teams, NCAA tournament teams, and College WS teams we have in the conference...the more money we get for everyone to share. With aTm you get a quality team and a huge TV market. I am not so sure you can come close to that with any other team being mentioned in this thread. I say go for a quality university that can deliver in the major sports.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

I agree and disagree.....yes, the SEC wants markets. We agree.

But, this is not SOLELY about markets. If it were, we'd add Virginia due to their location and alumni base; but who in the world wants them? The team also has to have at least a little sex appeal. I think fsu brings that. They have actual fans, unlike miami. Maybe you go up to va tech (instead of uva) and draw in that market, buyt I think I still like the fsu angle.

edit. I'm reading that, depending on who you listen to, the SEC won't be adding a team from a current state....so not ga tech, no fsu, etc.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
VA would never leave...they are academic snobs. VT could...would be a better match. Short of going to the Northeast for a BC I see the best match as Clemson. I lived there for 12 years...great football fans. They will struggle for a few years...not as good as they think they are...but they bring fans to everything. They think they get a bad deal on officiating in basketball (not unfounded) but they would really have to adjust to SEC rougher style of play.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
VA would never leave...they are academic snobs. VT could...would be a better match. Short of going to the Northeast for a BC I see the best match as Clemson. I lived there for 12 years...great football fans. They will struggle for a few years...not as good as they think they are...but they bring fans to everything. They think they get a bad deal on officiating in basketball (not unfounded) but they would really have to adjust to SEC rougher style of play.
I've batted that idea around...clemson. And as much they were a good club in 1985, I just don't see it. I can't put my finger on it....but I just don't see them in the SEC.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
We invited FSU before back when we added Arky and USCe, and on that occassion UF actually lobbied FOR bringing FSU into the conference...
I don't recall that, but I know that FSU definitely had a chance to join up in the early 90's. That was before Florida really starting humming under Spurrier. They now want to preserve their status as the only team in Florida that can offer recruits playing time in the SEC. Their AD, administration, and powers-that-be will definitely oppose FSU now.

conturbo

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
You guys are crazy. Why on Earth would FSU jump to the SEC? They are going to be dominating the ACC for the next few years. There is no reason for them to jump. Now, Clemson or Ga Tech? Sure

conturbo

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Really thinking about it, Missouri would be really good match. They get prestige of SEC and SEC gets St. Louis and Kansas City markets. Mizzou has nothing to offer recruits that OU or Texas couldn't now.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Yes, same market but FSU fans are not watching SEC, they are watching ACC. A lot more eyeballs would be added to the SEC if FSU was added.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
It seems to me that the winners in Texas A&M coming to the SEC are Texas and Oklahoma. They basically have a one game season(against each other) to make it to the National Championship game. That would not be a tough situation to be in for those two teams. It would be a whole lot easier than winning a 14 team SEC.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
usc, so we can grudge stomp kiffikins every year.

Seriously, the Ags and Sooners, TarHeels and Hokies. I'm not sold on waiting to go from 14-16 teams for negotiating purposes because when it all starts going down we could lose out on some top level universities and have to settle for some not so attractive TV markets.
UNC will NEVER leave the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.