Alabama's Recruiting List (I think)

TampaJim

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Tampa, FL, USA
It's impossible for me to say with any amount of authority who Alabama is (or is not) recruiting at this stage. But I do have the powers of reason and deduction (unless I'm talking to my wife), so here is a list of prospects to keep an eye on:

QB - Brandon Avalos (commit)

Graeme McFarland (Mt. Brook)
Brandon Cox (Trussville)
Mark Guillon (Orinada, CA)
Kele McKamey (Artesia, NM)

RB - Kenneth Darby (commit)

Jason Allen (Muscle Shoals) - DB?
Ronnie Osborne (Piedmont, OK)
Deshawn Wynn (Cincinnati, OH)

WR -

Benjamin Obomanu (Selma)
Titus Ryan (Tusc. Co.) - DB?
Charlie Vample (Cincinnati, OH)
Grant Brigham (Mt. Brook)
Lance Hamilton (Washington Co.)
Jemalle Cornelius (Ft. Meade, FL)
Xavier McGuire (Dallas, TX)
David Thompson (Memphis, TN)
Tee Milons (Starkville, MS)

TE -

Justin Bruce (Lindale, GA)
Lawrence Lilly (Montevallo)
Richard Freeman (Brentwood, TN) - DE?

OL - Gavin Dickey (commit)

Tony Ugoh (Houston, TX)
James Newby (Athens)
Quintin Harris (Courtland) - DL?
Jeffrey Allen (B'ham Huffman)
Ryan Carter (Groveland, FL)

DL - Chris Harris (commit), Kyle Tatum (commit), Christopher Browder (commit)

Henry Smith (Aliceville)
Jeremy Clark (Daphne)
Ben Grubbs (Elmore Co.)
Tommie Jackson (Opelika)
Raymond Chaney (Mobile Shaw)
James Adams (Tusc. Co.)
Ramon McCullough (Daytona Beach)
Kedric Golston (Tyrone, GA)
Lance Carson (Garden City JC, KS)

LB - Juwan Garth (commit), Derrick Pope (commit)

Garnett Smith (Arlington, TX)
Ernest Nance (Courtland)
Darius Wilder (Aliceville)
Nick Luke (Phenix City) - FB?
Larry McSwain (Prichard-Vigor)
Larry Brackins (Dothan)
William Beckford (Belle Glades, FL)
Chris Herring (Batesville, MS)
Patrick Lowery (Davie Co., NC)

DB - Ramzee Robinson (commit)

Elvis Gallegos (Richland Park, TX) - WR?
Chauncey Malone (West Morgan)
Montavious Pitts (Loachapoka)
Roshawn Pope (Galvaston, TX) - WR?
Kenji McNair (Pelahatchie, MS)
Vickeal Vaughn (Plano, TX)
Sammie Autrey (Wilcox Central)
Ronnie Elliot (Huntsville Lee) - WR?
Tyrone Hicks (Huntsville Lee)
Will Herring (Opelika)
Jeffrey Temple (Montgomery)
Willie Andrews (Longview, TX)
A.J. Davis (Durham, NC)
Demario Minter (Stone Mtn, GA)
Mikhal Korneguy (Madison Co., FL)

Again, this list is hardly exhaustive. It appears that there are more surprises on the horizon. But this list gives everyone a starting point.

RTR!

BOUDIN

Jul 25, 2000
NASHVILLE,TN USA
Thanks for the info Jim. What's the word Deshawn Wynn from Ohio? I've heard he is really good. Do we have a good chance to sign him?

Also, what do you think our chances are of signing Henry Smith, Ben Obomanu, and Jason Allen?

Thanks again

RTR

Boudin

bilbo@work

All-SEC
Dec 9, 1999
atlanta, ga
TJ- excellent post as always
Brandon Cox at QB would be HUGE and Benjamin Obomanu at WR would be as well....

------------------
"I like the situation we're going to be coming into next year. Everybody is going to be sitting back and looking right past Alabama. We're going to sneak right up and smack 'em in the mouth."

gimme3

Apr 26, 2001
Nashville, TN, USA
I'm not the expert Tampa Jim is but I doubt seriously that Brandon Cox is anywhere on our board at QB. We have our QB in Brandon Avalos and I'd suspect will use the rest of our available scholarships on defense and at WR. I would not be surprised to see us pursue another RB. Nothing against Cox, I'm sure he's a good prospect (although waaay overvalued by that nimrod guru at the Bham News, Ron Ingram). Look for Cecil Hurt's Sweet 16 in a few weeks to get a more accurate read on the top players in the state. I have no inside source, but I'd guess we have at least 25 players instate rated as a higher priority than Cox.

bamafan4ever

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 8, 2000
Paulding County, Ga.
gimme3,

Excellent response. I agree with that line of thinking 100 pct!! (you need to post more often
). If Bama is facing any sort of reduction in scholarships, Mr Avalos may be all we can "afford" at that position this year. We really take a hit by graduations this year at wide receiver and need to get that position stocked, even if Fran has a run oriented offense.

Roll Tide!

------------------
Any day is a great day to be an Alabama fan!

TampaJim

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Tampa, FL, USA
Don't let gimme3's modesty fool you; the man knows his football.

I also do not expect Alabama to offer Cox. Stranger things have happened, but I think that Cox is not a good fit for Coach Fran's multiple offense.

I think we will stand with Avalos, unless some real big names suddenly come banging on our door. There is always the chance that we could sign an "Athlete" and start him off at QB, with the option of eventually moving him to WR or DB. Keep an eye on Florida and Texas in this regard.

I think we have a pretty good chance of signing Obomanu. Smith has some academic work to do, but I hear we lead right now. Jason Allen is either really manipulating the recruiting experts or he is somewhat wishy-washy about Alabama. I've read some encouraging things, but I've also read some discouraging things. For now, I would say we have as good a chance as any of the other teams (i.e. Georgia, Tenn, LSU).

I am not holding my breath on Deshawn Wynn, but you never know. We are in his top 10 and realistically the front runner has to be Ohio State. One thing in our favor is that the Buckeyes already have a commitment from another top local RB. And last year they signed two top RBs (Lydell Ross of Tampa and Maurice Hall from Columbus).

Another factor may be that we offered his best friend (and teammate) Charlie Vample (WR). From what I've read about Vample, he was injured as a sophomore and played his first full season last year as a junior. Most schools want to take a look at him in action this Fall before offering. Our coaches have already bit the bullet and offered. Again, lots of things can change between now and February, but it's good to see we are competing for some top national recruits.

RTR!

WISHBONE67

Scout Team
Dec 7, 2000
Cleveland, GA
Thanks TJ!! We need some DL help. With loosing Means and some of our other DL guys, I think our depth could use some building up. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
I agree about the QB situation, but disagree about the RB situation. If I am correct after this year we will have 1 sr, 3 jrs, and 1 so. I think we will go after at least 2 this year.

bocephus7

REGISTRATION ON HOLD - CHECK EMAIL
Nov 2, 2000
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Guys, I have to say, if you believe Avalos is D1 quarterback material, you have obviously never seen him play.

Avalos is a fine young man and a very good athlete, but he has no chance as an effective D1 quarterback.

Having seen Avalos and Cox both in person, and having the luxury of watching both play several games each, Cox is hands down the better of the two. It's not even close.

I have gained a lot of respect for the opinions of some of the posters on this particular thread, but you guys are WAY off base in the assessment of these two players.

gimme3

Apr 26, 2001
Nashville, TN, USA
You might be correct (and the way our luck has run on recruiting evaluations you probably will be), but Dennis Franchione, Les Koenning, and a couple of other Bama coaches disagree. They had the chance to evaluate both Cox and Avalos first hand at their camp this summer. They selected Avalos. I've heard some people opine (most of whom have seen Cox) that the staff selected Avalos due to his versatility, or his escapability, his being the best fit for Franchione's offense, or ability to run the ball. One wag even suggested it was because Avalos is a far better centerfielder than Cox.

I've not seen either play, but the coaches in whom I've place my trust have and they had their choice and selected Avalos. I'm about to get out of the business of projecting high school athletic success onto the college level anyway. I saw Travis Stephens play twice in HS and told ALL my Tennessee friends that he MIGHT make a decent WR or even CB on the college level with a good weight program, but there was no way he'd ever project into being an SEC capable RB. He was just too small and too slight of build to ever be durable enough. In my paper this morning he was not only leading the SEC in rushing but was number one in the country in rushing attempts per game.

bamajohnny

Oct 13, 2001
alabama
It's time to look to recruiting when the team we yell for is in a slump. I hope this coaching staff does better than some in the past. I saw Dre Fulgham and, a few years ago, Chris Jordan in action. I wasn't there so they could impress me, but they sure wasn't very impressive. They should have opted for a division 1-AA school. All this to say, we should give Coach Fran and the rest of the staff a fighting chance. ROLL TIDE!!!

BamaRock

Jul 14, 2000
Pensacola, Florida
TampaJim,
Previously you had mentioned Gavin Dickey as a possible QB prospect, now I see he is not on your list. Is this for a certain reason or did he just slip your mind?
Thanks in advance.

Roll Tide and God Bless

bocephus7

REGISTRATION ON HOLD - CHECK EMAIL
Nov 2, 2000
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gimme3:
You might be correct (and the way our luck has run on recruiting evaluations you probably will be), but Dennis Franchione, Les Koenning, and a couple of other Bama coaches disagree. They had the chance to evaluate both Cox and Avalos first hand at their camp this summer. They selected Avalos. I've heard some people opine (most of whom have seen Cox) that the staff selected Avalos due to his versatility, or his escapability, his being the best fit for Franchione's offense, or ability to run the ball.
</font>
gimme3,
I agree completely with the above statement.

Steve Spurrior called Brandon Cox, last night, and offered him a scholly to play for the Gators. I think you would agree, Spurrior is a pretty good judge of QB talent, also.

I'm not against Avalos. I just wish we had taken them both. That's all.

gimme3

Apr 26, 2001
Nashville, TN, USA
Bocephus,

I agree with you, but we'll have to trust our coaches on this one. I got it on pretty good authority that it was not a one Brandon over the other type decision. Everything I hear about Brandon Cox leads me to believe that he's an even better person than a prospect. Couple that with the fact that he'sBama to the core and it becomes even more painful. I wish him well in the future and just pray it's not at Awbun.

I just hope its not one of those decisions thatcomes back to bite us you know where.

Rukus

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 7, 2001
Gadsden, AL. USA
Pardon me if I missed something, but are we looking at any JC transfers who can come in and provide immediate help (at least depth-wise) at DL and LB? What about DBs - what's the outlook for next year both from a development standpoint (Ward, McBride, Dixon, Bacon, Bolden, Jones, Andrews, and especially Peprah, Madison, and Harper)? Can we find 8 or more for a rotation out of that group, or are we looking at some JC transfers? Thanks upfront for any help!

RTR!

RTRinNC

Scout Team
Nov 24, 2000
Shelby, NC
A little info on Bama recruit that you mentioned from this neck of the woods. A LB prospect, Pat Lowery, Davie Co., NC, visited UNC this past weekend. I hope he brought his No-Doz...wern't enough cheering Carolina fans there to keep anybody awake.

From what I hear, although Lowery is not on anybody's "Dream Team", he is very solid and many up here think very underrated by some of the so called "experts". Lots think UNC is Lowery's first choice. But, the Heels are looking to sign 3 LB's, with 2 verbals in the house. They seem to be holding out for the big name, e.g. Nicholson.

With Lowery, Bama just may slip up here and "steal" a very good player. Hope so.

Thanks again for your always great comments on Bama recruiting.

RTR!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.