Will we ever win a Heisman!

GAMEFACE

1st Team
Feb 6, 2001
Cahaba Heights, Al. USA
And does anyone care? I read something the Bear once said and got to thinking. What would you rather have a couple of Heismans or a fist full of championships? Me, I had rather have the later any day! What do you think?

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
no, Alabama has always been about team, and not individual, but two reasons guarantee this forever,

one: Everybody hates Alabama and the South and the Highsman is a popularity contest

two: Highsman usually play on teams that don't have that much and have to hand them the ball every time, be they a QB, RB, or WR. Alabama will never be that one dimensional

(although the duce probably deserved the highsman his last year, I can't imagine anybody doing more for a team)

micah_07

1st Team
Nov 5, 1999
Dallas, Tx.
Thats like asking if awbun will ever win a national title.....Probably not! I agree with bamaslammer, we are all about team. Maybe if more colleges were like us they would have less heisman winners and more national titles!

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bamalaw92:
Wasn't it Coach Bryant that said, "Our players don't win awards. Our teams win championships."?</font>
Yes.

It's a different mentality...one of those "traits" Bama fans have that carries the label *arrogant.*

Reminds me of a Gamecock fan who gladly threw that stat in my face a few years ago. He didn't seem to grasp the concept when I asked him how many conf. or national titles the Gamecocks were able to claim. (notice, able to claim)

His retort, "but how many hypeman awards?" George Rodgers was a great running back for USC in his day. In fact, they have his locker enclosed in glass and a street named after him close to Williams Bryce stadium.

Again, notice the different mentalities. Locker in glass as compared to a museum honoring decades upon decades of players and coaches. Streets named after a player compared to streets, fields, buildings, etc. named after some of the greatest figures in Southern football.

Just on a side note...the USC fan quickly retreated when one fan asked him if there was still cocain residue on that locker.

[This message has been edited by TerryP (edited 05-06-2004).]

Rukus

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 7, 2001
Gadsden, AL. USA
I hope we never have a Heisman winner at Alabama! That being said, I feel like we have had the best college player at least twice, maybe more.

Cornelius Bennett was the best player in the country one year, and I think Chris Samuels was the best player during his senior year. I don't need the Heisman trophy voters to tell me that.

Don Hutson played before my time, but I understand that he was pretty good as well.

RTR!!!!

BamaCarol91670

1st Team
Jun 22, 2003
Paris, Tx
I don't think we'll ever win one. I do think Shaun Alexander and David Palmer deserved it. As did Bennet. One of the funniest things I remember is when Peyton Manning lost and everyone knew he was going to win. It still cracks me up! I much prefer a team trophy.

BAMMAR

All-SEC
May 15, 2002
atlanta ga usa
As long as noter damit and nobodyaska is around we will be considered a small school with no talent other than a coach we used to have and everyone keeps telling us we are nothing without him. So will a bunch of yankees ever give us a heisman.
NO, But they can choke on our record.
I want to be the school of champions not Individuals.
RDT

Mussofan22

1st Team
Jun 24, 2002
Huntsville, AL, USA
I don't care if an Alabama player ever wins the Heisman. These days, this award is nothing more than a popularity contest fueled by public relations and media hype. Besides, the media in general hates Alabama football, and will do anything to keep that from happening. As long as we are winning SEC Championships and National Championships, I'm happy. The Heisman Trophy can go to whoever they want to give it to. I simply don't care.

------------------
"Always expect the unexpected" -- Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

37bamagrl

All-American
May 6, 2003
Foley, AL
I will admit i really wanted Shaun to win the Heisman. He deserved it, the numbers were there, and such a great guy. He broke all kinds of records, was the leading rusher in the SEC, led in TDs. He had the necessary 'big' games on national television (the florida game for one). He should of won...BUT he should of at LEAST been invited to New York. To say he was not in the top five was just insane. Ever since then i lost any respect i had for the award, i could care a less if we ever win a heisman.

now i would be happy for the player if we did win one, because i know he had to of earned it. i don't really see bama doing another heisman 'campaign' media blitz for a player.

RTR!

[This message has been edited by 37bamagrl (edited 05-06-2004).]

GAMEFACE

1st Team
Feb 6, 2001
Cahaba Heights, Al. USA
Yea Ive quite watching the show itself for sometime now. I think the last was when Palmer was invited. I was in Gatlinburg during the one where payaton was the fav and got beat out. There were some mad tudorsee fans that night up there. I remember a little smile came to my face after I heard the news and heard a few of them cussing and complaining. Made my week. I personally hope that we never ever even push anyone for the award. Why pay the price for the campaign anyway? I remember a 10 story builboard with Harrington, the oregon qbs full torso plastered on it. Palleeezzz!

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
The University has never had, and probably never will have a media relations department that is dedicated to Heisman propaganda/promotion. It's never been a priority with our school, unlike other less successful ones.

Suits me. I like team honors much better and I believe we recruit players with that in mind.

------------------
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.

- Phil Pastoret

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I'd love to see our entire offensive line win a Heisman for allowing 0 sacks on our 3000 yard passer and leading 4 1000+ yard runningbacks in a 5000 yard rushing offense that scores a total of 100 TDs(25 of them vs. the viles).

------------------
"I've never been quarantined, but the more I look around the more I think it might not be a bad thing." -- George Carlin

TiderinMiss

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2000
Clinton, MS
My philosophy is this:

If one of our players is outstanding enough, like Shaun Alexander or David Palmer were...then great! I'm all for it.

But, I won't cry a tear in my beer if we never win one. I would rather have the Sear's Trophy any day!

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
While I think everyone would aagree that team championships and awards are much more desirable, don't forget that not all heisman winners are publicity hounds or glory boys. There isn't a bigger team player than Jason White.Whether or not you think he deserved the award last season, nobody has sacrificed more for his team than JW. He's humble, he's quiet, and shys away from publicity.

elizabama

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2003
elizabethton,tn.usa
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GAMEFACE:
And does anyone care? I read something the Bear once said and got to thinking. What would you rather have a couple of Heismans or a fist full of championships? Me, I had rather have the later any day! What do you think?</font>
If it happens it happens, but it shouldn't be promoted. It can be a big distraction to the Team. By the way Coach Bryant's quote is my signature.

------------------
"Alabama players don't win Heisman Trophies, Bama Teams win national championships"
(Paul "Bear" Bryant)

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TiderinMiss:
My philosophy is this:

If one of our players is outstanding enough, like Shaun Alexander or David Palmer were...then great! I'm all for it.

But, I won't cry a tear in my beer if we never win one. I would rather have the Sear's Trophy any day!
</font>
Well said!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.