Stolen files of Shanks

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That misses the point entirely. If, as has been reported, they took the Cottrell defense files - in case he were indicted - then they have obtained a look inside at what really had Cottrell and his lawyers worried. This is priceless. It can't be obtained by discovery and, even if it doesn't yield material which can be introduced, it provides leads to avenues for corroboration, where the knowledge gained can be "massaged" into admissible evidence. The damage to Cottrell's case could be major, really major. Whoever masterminded this knew exactly what he was about...

TideFaninFl

1st Team
Jul 26, 2003
Merritt Island, FL, USA
Would not the break in also be known by the judge? Even if there was evidence found to hurt Cottrell, isn't part of the case the ncaa found against him made up (such as the odometer)? Part of the case against the ncaa is that they broke their own bylaws to do this, even if Cottrell was guilty, it does not change that the ncaa broke their own rules......

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Let me explain. Every case has its weak points - the things the (in this case) defendant and his lawyers worry about. If the reports are correct, the people who oppose Cottrell now have a "snapshot" of what his lawyers consider to be their main weaknesses. It's really hard to explain what an advantage this bestows. They don't have to guess any more. They now have sign posts directing them as to whom they need to contact and which points in whose stories they need to attack. It's really hard for me to get across how much this can benefit them. It's a real windfall, looked at from the defense lawyer's standpoint. Someone in another forum commented that Gallion now sounded "scared." I understand why.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My fear would be that the weak points in Cottrell's case would also bear directly on Williams' case, and, perhaps, Young's. It's really worse news than most realize...

Bama12NC

Oct 29, 1999
Dothan, AL USA
Not knowing much about the technical legalise of law, how would a judge look at this knowing that MAJOR information had been stolen from an attorney's office having to do with a case that he was presiding over?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Any judge worth his salt would bar evidence which obviously came from a breach of law. However, the type of material stolen might, for example, indicate which witness might be ambivalent or have temporal conflicts in his testimony. How could a judge ever know that? Gallion's remark that the element of surprise had been taken away is very apropos...

rtrcam

All-SEC
Sep 23, 2003
Boaz, Alabama, USA
I'm getting sicker and sicker the more I find out about this. I truly believe you can't do wrong and get by; at some point, its going to catch up with you. I, now more than ever, hope that these people pay for all this. I'm young, so I wasn't aware of the corruptness of the tennessee "justice" system.

I don't know, the news of Shank's assault has changed my line of thinking. I used to be in the camp of "I wish this would all just go away." But now, I realize its not going away and in fact the ones who really want it to disappear are the ones who did this to Mr. Shanks. Hopefully, justice will be served.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
In the files stolen was an outline of the questions Shanks would ask certain witnesses. Since this whole affair has been planned and rehearsed by the actors guild in Tennessee with the supporting cast of the NCAA, now they possibly have the script for the upcoming play. They will be able to rehearse their answers to any questions Shanks and Cottrell may ask them. This is disturbing indeed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.