Sen. Ben Sasse unloads on Congress at Kavanaugh hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
This sorry story is another of the many reasons why a government that long ago escaped it's constitutional walls is so dangerous. With a small, limited government it would hardly matter who is on the Court; the scope of their authority would be very narrow. Now that the genie is out of the bottle, it rampages virtually unchecked.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Gotta admit, at least the White House is being transparent on this one. (note: I normally don't link this source, but their headline pretty much nails it)

White House says FBI didn’t investigate Kavanaugh’s drunken blackouts because only Democrats care

Principal Deputy Press Secretary Raj Shah told CNN that the investigation included just nine comprehensive interviews and no examination into whether the nominee may have lied to the Senate Judiciary Committee when he denied ever getting so drunk that he blacked out and had memory lapses. Shah claimed that the White House had simply had the FBI investigate what the Senate was “interested in,” but then clarified that by that he only meant Senate Republicans.

Asked why the FBI was not permitted to investigate whether Kavanaugh had memory lapses — as his former Yale roommate and other former classmates have alleged — Shah argued that no Senator who matters wanted to know.

“All the folks that are demanding this type of investigation in the Senate are Democrats who have already pledged to vote no. They don’t want additional information to make a decision. They want to delay this process.”

Raj also argued that the multiple allegations of memory lapses are unimportant because Kavanaugh testified in last week’s hearing that he liked alcohol.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I'm pretty sure those that are getting labeled are the right/left wingers who only seem to be able to parrot right/left wing talking points. Context is important.
Pretty sure you're incorrect as many of us more in the middle have been repeatedly labeled as libs, libtards, typical lefties/libs, etc. on here. You musta missed that context.

ETA- I'm sure some others have gotten lumped in the other way too. Not counting the ones that are "not Trump supporters" that totally support everything he does basically.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Forgot to ask .... How do you guys and gals think this will turn out.

Any way Trump pulls the nomination? IMO, no. Not at this late hour.

Any chance enough Repubs vote against? It would be amusing to see a few jump ship before Trump finishes taking it to the bottom.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I don’t trust the vote - too many have proven how hackable the voting systems are and to think they haven’t been compromised is just naive, to me.
But you’re right - since voting is not mandatory and historically I don’t think we’ve ever seen 50% turnout, so trusting the outcome to those who do vote is a fool’s errand, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chinese spies reportedly inserted microchips into servers used by Apple, Amazon, and others.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/4/...icrochip-hack-servers-apple-amazon-supermicro

This is being widely reported on Bloomberg and CNBC this morning. Just to support your concern that hardware could be implanted at strategic locations that would enable gathering and manipulating voting data.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Pretty sure you're incorrect as many of us more in the middle have been repeatedly labeled as libs, libtards, typical lefties/libs, etc. on here. You musta missed that context.
i thought we were supposed to be paying attention to the big picture. now i have to add context. context being "government is bad, m'kay"

it's hard keeping up. i guess i should clap and make myself feel better.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Nope. I do find it amusing that some leftists consider them moderates. Context confusion and whatnot. But, ok.
You don't know me. Unlike your big government stories you haven't worked in my life for years and years so get over yourself. Moderates are only being called leftists because the right has gone further and further fascist/nationalist.

Let's go arrogance clapclapclapclap.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The midterm elections will depend on an overwhelming turnout from independents, male and female. I guess my "glass is half empty" attitude shows, but I honestly do not trust the American voter to do the right thing and rid our country of the scourge in Congress and the White House.
I'm going to get a lot of pushback on this, but I place a heavy weight on the shoulders of those independents who claim that "both sides are the same," and idealists who vote third party for #reasons. In 2018, only an idiot thinks both sides are the same. And in 2018, voting for a third party candidate is no different than voting in favor of the current administration. It frustrates me when otherwise intelligent people who claim to oppose the current administration decide in the same breath to abstain from choosing between the only two paths our country can take. It's a conscious decision to leave the choice in the hands of the less informed, and every step down this current path is a step away from whatever idealized vision their symbolic votes are meant to support.

I may not be an Florida fan, but I'll damn sure pull for them when they play Tennessee. One of the two will have to win, and supporting a team that isn't even on the field is meaningless.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Forgot to ask .... How do you guys and gals think this will turn out.

Any way Trump pulls the nomination? IMO, no. Not at this late hour.

Any chance enough Repubs vote against? It would be amusing to see a few jump ship before Trump finishes taking it to the bottom.
I am becoming suspicious of anything I hear about polling. I just heard polls this morning that the Republican backlash to the Kavanaugh hearing is putting several red state Senate Dems into serious trouble, implying that the Senate might swing more Republican. This just seems counter intuitive to me that people could be outraged at the treatment of Kavanaug.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
You don't know me. Unlike your big government stories you haven't worked in my life for years and years so get over yourself. Moderates are only being called leftists because the right has gone further and further fascist/nationalist.

Let's go arrogance clapclapclapclap.
LOL! You seem upset. It's too early in the day to be upset. Never said I knew you. I'm not a right winger; never have been. Context and whatnot. If you want to call yourself a moderate, ok. Call yourself whatever label pleases you. Or don't.

Let's sing it together:

If you don't belong to a tribe
The clapping doesn't apply to you.
clap clap clapclapclap

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This sorry story is another of the many reasons why a government that long ago escaped it's constitutional walls is so dangerous. With a small, limited government it would hardly matter who is on the Court; the scope of their authority would be very narrow. Now that the genie is out of the bottle, it rampages virtually unchecked.
Nice "big picture" commentary, Bodhi.

You don't that very often here.

Refreshing!

:D

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
I'm going to get a lot of pushback on this, but I place a heavy weight on the shoulders of those independents who claim that "both sides are the same," and idealists who vote third party for #reasons. In 2018, only an idiot thinks both sides are the same. And in 2018, voting for a third party candidate is no different than voting in favor of the current administration. It frustrates me when otherwise intelligent people who claim to oppose the current administration decide in the same breath to abstain from choosing between the only two paths our country can take. It's a conscious decision to leave the choice in the hands of the less informed, and every step down this current path is a step away from whatever idealized vision their symbolic votes are meant to support.

I may not be an Florida fan, but I'll damn sure pull for them when they play Tennessee. One of the two will have to win, and supporting a team that isn't even on the field is meaningless.
I understand that POV. But, my default position is that voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil. A politician has to earn my vote. Hence, the last time I voted D or R was for Clinton in 1992.

This current sorry states is testing my default position, however.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I am becoming suspicious of anything I hear about polling. I just heard polls this morning that the Republican backlash to the Kavanaugh hearing is putting several red state Senate Dems into serious trouble, implying that the Senate might swing more Republican. This just seems counter intuitive to me that people could be outraged at the treatment of Kavanaug.
Let's play it out: the flipside to the GOP overtly politicizing SCOTUS by ramming Kavanaugh through after he spouted anti-Democrat conspiracy theories on live television is that it gives the Democrats every justification to throw out the norms once they're back in power. There have been rumbles on the far left that McConnell's refusal to hold a hearing for Garland and the GOP now forcing Kavanaugh through the confirmation process should be countered by the Democrats expanding the court once they again hold power. Those rumbles will become more mainstream if Kavanaugh sits on the court. If it happens, of course, the GOP would respond in kind by doing the same once the pendulum of power swung back to them.

This move -- and I don't think I'm overreacting -- will destroy the legitimacy of the Supreme Court and turn it into just another political body.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
LOL! You seem upset. It's too early in the day to be upset. Never said I knew you. I'm not a right winger; never have been. Context and whatnot. If you wan't to call yourself a moderate, ok. Call yourself whatever label pleases you. Or don't.

Let's sing it together:

If you don't belong to a tribe
The clapping doesn't apply to you.
clap clap clapclapclap
I'm not upset, however your post was clearly aimed in my direction as if you know where I stand on every subject. I didn't call you a right winger in the quoted post I only stated that people that have traditionally been more in the middle are being called leftists because the right is further right. I don't call myself anything in particular until people start trying to place labels upon me as happens repeatedly on this forum.

If you don't want people to think your clapping applies to them being part of a tribe then maybe stop dropping it into a forum where people are constantly being assigned positions on the political spectrum and labeled by other posters? Why don't we call it context resolution?

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I understand that POV. But, my default position is that voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil. A politician has to earn my vote. Hence, the last time I voted D or R was for Clinton in 1992.

This current sorry states is testing my default position, however.
I also understand that point of view, but I can't help feeling that we're on the edge of a knife. To keep with a football analogy: which victor in this game will help your ultimate goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.