recruits

CrimsonFever

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 20, 2001
Montgomery, Al
The only real good bet that I'm aware of is LB Demeco Ryans (of the recruits that will qualify). H. Smith could, but he is not qualified. Most of the visitors have other visits scheduled after this weekend (that worries me). Supposedly, there is a decent chance that Clark and Williams will commit sooner or later. I will be, and many other Bama fans will be extremely disappointed (maybe devastated) if we don't get one or both of these 2 DTs or at least two decent DLs!

CrimsonFever

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 20, 2001
Montgomery, Al
I forgot to mention. There is speculation on another board that TJ Jackson and Ben Grubbs (at one time or another or still considered AU leans) may try, while here, to influence Clark or others to attend AU. Supposedly, this has happened in the past and is a sore spot for those that know about it & feel it is pushed by certain folks connected with AU.

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
I believe in Fran and Torbush. I don't think these kids can convince the others to go to Auburn. All we have to do is show them our depth chart. They will be starting 1 yr.

Assuming that Williams shows up in August in shape, I would say that he has a great shot at considerable playing time next fall. I really like Jarret Johnson and Kenny King has done an admirable job at the other DT, however, there was a serious drop off in the talent level behind them. David Daniel sounds like a nice young man and he really tried hard but he was too small other than a few snaps.

Anthony Bryant never seemed to get on track this past season. I'm sure he'll be better next year with another year of conditioning and another Spring and Summer drills behind him.

The result was that JJ and KK had to play almost the whole game with no rest. I think that Coach Torbush would like to constantly rotate the DTs. JJ and KK are clearly the starters but I'm guessing that CCT would like to rotate freely the second DTs (Bryant and hopefully Jimmy Williams) in and out, so that JJ and KK can maintain a strong pass rush the whole game and not tire at the end when it counts.

COME ON JIMMY WILLIAMS!!!! THE PLAYING TIME IS HERE!!!!!

visceralbamafan#1

Apr 11, 2000
Mobile, AL
I know there is still time before the signing deadline; however, I am going to be very disturbed if we can't get the MOST TALENTED DL in the entire nation. There are only 3 immutables facts:

1)Death

2)Taxes

3)Self-centered "great" athletes looking for the soonest playing time on TV for the earliest exit to the NFL.

If this coaching staff can't sell immediate playing time at the University of Alabama; folks we are in serious, serious trouble.

Forget the NCAA. Who needs a scholarship; if, in foregoing a paid 1st year you get one the next year and if good enough, the NFL the 2nd year. Shoot, we are having to convert Def ends to def tackles. In fact, Alabama should be able to walk onto any campus in the nation and get starters at obscure other football teams to leave and go to Bama.

What is the alternative for the blue chip player? Get a paid scholarship and play on the scout team until the starter graduates??
Since it's understood by everyone that the 1 deficit for our future is not enough depth on theDL to stop the run and pressure the QB to nullify the passing game, then this is the only area of immediate focus right now.

There is no excuse losing DeMarcus Johnson and Chris Browder in any recruiting battle;
unless, the coaching staff sees a better opportunity getting better players.

visceralbamafan#1

Apr 11, 2000
Mobile, AL
Can anyone enlighten me about the signee Ramzee RObinson from Huntsville
5'10" at a wopping 177 lbs??????????

Let me reprocess:
only 17 scholarships to give....worse CB crop in Alabama history (all 4 CB's returning from said unit)...PROVEN PAST HISTORY of total failure with all of these 5'8-10" 165-175lb CB's who lead the nation in YAC yards, pass interference penalities,and in the technique of running from the ball carrier and tackling around the neck and jersey grabbing...

HOW THE FANS, WHO WE HAVE REPEATEDLY BEEN TOLD THE REASON FOR OUR HORRIBLE CB PLAY THIS SEASON IS POOR TALENT.......CAN BE IMPROVED BY GIVING THIS YOUNG MAN A SCHOLARSHIP??????

Questions:

1) PLEASE, PLEASE , PLEASE TELL ME HOW THIS GUY IS SOMEHOW DIFFERENT;

2) SINCE WHEN DID BAMA GET AN ATHLETE FROM HUNTSVILLE, TENN. (HUNTSVILLE, ALA. YOU SAY?? APPARENTLY THE FINE PEOPLE OF HUNTSVILLE HAVE FAILED TO KNOW THIS PIECE OF GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION BASED ON THEIR PREFERANCE OF SEC SCHOOLS) THAT UT DOES NOT GET; HAS EVER BEEN A COUP FOR BAMA???

[This message has been edited by visceralbamafan#1 (edited January 13, 2002).]

BamaGoat

Sep 10, 2001
Tusacaloosa, AL, US
Okay, I see where you are coming from, but I'm really tired of the "too small for the SEC" argument for DBs. Size. in and of itself, is overrated. Fernando Bryant is 5'10" 185, and he is starting and doing quite well in the NFL. Deshea Townsend is about 5'9" 175, and he's still in the NFL. Antoine Winfield is 5'8" and is a shutdown corner for the Bills. CBs require speed, instincts, quick hips, a nice vertical, good coaching, and the cocky attitude to play on an island. Size is a trait, but it is absolutely not the end all and be all of the position. I trust Coach Torbush knows what he is doing and I'm sure Ramzee will contribute to the university in the future.

visceralbamafan#1

Apr 11, 2000
Mobile, AL
BamaGoat,

OK. I'm OK with using the NFL as the measureing stick for determining sucess in this area as it relates to size (cute hip moves, vertical jumps for joy feats, speed needed to run from ball carriers etc. aside).

Let's make a bet. I'll count up the # of NFL DB's that are >6'0" and 195 pounds and you add up the # of <5'10" 175lb DB's and who ever comes up with the smallest #'s of players in their respective categories has to pay the other person $500. Want to bet??

[This message has been edited by visceralbamafan#1 (edited January 14, 2002).]

Enough griping Visceral. I've heard nothing but good things about this kid. If he can cover he can cover. Look at Thurman Ward for instance, he's a taller DB, thicker than most, but does that mean he plays any better than Brooks Daniels who weighs in at 185? Apparently not 'cause Thurman hasn't shown me anything. Bottom line is, Brooks is small for a defensive back, and he was the best defensive player on the team this year, excelling at the rover spot, which is a defensive back/linebacker hybrid suited for larger players.

I took the liberty of scanning the current nfl depth charts (nfl.com) for the first few teams on the list just for fun (Baltimore, Buffalo, Cincy, Cleveland and Denver): 8 of the 10 starting corners were less than 6 feet tall, and 7 of the 10 weighed 190 or less.

People love big corners but somehow I just don't see such a large number that make it to the league. Maybe it's just me. I don't care what size a guy is if he can contain and tackle.

PS-If you like the bigguns, watch out for Charlie Peprah--

http://www.tidefans.com/recruiting/2001/2001sign/peprah.html

I'm not sure I'd want a kid that is smaller than 5-9 but IMO, speed, quickness, athleticism, ability to deal a lick and at least a little bit of cockiness are the key ingredients to having a great CB. The height thing is WAY overrated in the college game.

I hear how the big receivers have such a huge advantage over a 5-10 CB, but IMO, that only happens in situations where the ball is thrown flawlessly. In the college game, that is very rare. NFL, sure it happens fairly regularly but not in the college game.

Let's give the kid a break. If he's fast, quick, can cover and will tackle, that's good enough for me. He hasn't even stepped foot on campus and some are bashing this kid already.

BfloTide

Dec 4, 2000
Buffalo,New York
BamaGoat--I,m a Bills season tix holder and have had the pleasure of watching Winfield play for the past 3 seasons.You're absolutely right in saying he's a shutdown corner--the kind that the TIDE could use.His size,a supposed handicap,has proven to matter very little.He hits like a train and has great cover skills.Comparing supposedly "undersized" corners to Kecalf Bailey is not only erroneous but silly.KB just never had the right stuff,he could have been 6'1"and still have come up lacking--he just never hgad what it takes to play on an island.If Alabama signs good ATHLETES (the Shontua Ray experiment not withstanding)--they should be fine.Speed kills and always will,especially at DB.

RTR!!!!!

mbutcher

Jul 27, 2001
huntsville, al, usa
hey visceral, well i know of one recruit out of huntsville that alabama would probably love to have another chance at, d.hicks running back at middle tenn. state, doak walker canidate the past two years. and i dont hear you complaining about ken darby out of huntsville. good thing the only impact you have on recruiting is to show your a#@ on here.

Attachments

visceralbamafan#1

Apr 11, 2000
Mobile, AL
Nate- come to think of it, you are right. For instance, continuing with your insight about how height is overrated. Like those midgets George Teague 6"2" 190; Sam Shade 6'1" 190; and Antonio Langham 6'1" 170.

Yes, Nate, we all know the failures they have been in the NFL when compared to Kecalf Bailey 5'10 164; and Roberto McBride 5'9" 165 and the plethora of NC rings in their possession. (I'll admit that the numbers on Bolden 5'10' 190 and Dixon 5'11" 185 should meet the size criteria; but apparently they are clueless that they have it). BTW, where did have read Daniels is 185 lbs?

For your info, Daniels is 6'3", 200 pounds.

Homework assignment Nate look up the difference between "griping" and "facts". It typicallly is found in an instrument known as the Dictionary.

mbutcher-did I miss something??? How many carries has Darby have in Division I??? I'll match my misguided, uninformed status along with the coaching staff at TN as it relates to talent with your rectally oriented genius anytime. BTW, hemorrhoid butcher, have you looked to see which SEC team has 28 players (2nd only to Fla. 34) in the NFL ??

SEC teams only get what TN let's any one have from Huntsville Ala. I hope I'm wrong, I'll be the 1st to celebrate. But, for the time being, history is mine.

I'll take Deshawn Wynn-you can have Darby. And HemorrhoidButcher, some idiots (compared to you) are projecting that Darby's only contribution to the running game will come from interception returns (LB).

Re: NFL CB's my bet was how many "DB's" were >6'0" 195 vs. <5'10" 175 which would have included both CB's and safties). But using only CB's (the other would have been a run away for me) are as follows:

less than or equal to 5'10" 175lbs=4 less than or equal to 6'0" 195lbs=33

Of the total # of CB's in the NFL; there would be 77 that would fall between these brackets.

[This message has been edited by visceralbamafan#1 (edited January 15, 2002).]

uachris

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2001
mobile alabama
visceral,

i agree that we need size at cornerback, but really all i wanted to say is brooks daniels is not 6'3 200. i am a student at UA and i see him quite often. you would probally never recognize him without pads. i would say 6'2 no more than 185. just thought i would pass that info.but he is a very good player, as ramzee robinson will be

http://www.tidefans.com/football/2001/spring/01ps_lb.htm

According to TideFans he was listed at 184. Trust me, I did research. And as for all your continuing b.s. about tall corners being better than short ones, that's all good and fine. I never said George Teague wasn't awesome, I was just pointing out some smaller guys that also had success.

I'm not trying to diss you or anything. I respect all my fellow bama fans to the utmost. I just hate listening to people complain and complain about stuff. From what I hear our coaches were blown away by Ramzee's coverage skills.

The point is, if you think you can do a better job recruiting, given the current climate of the program (i.e. new coaching staff, ncaa investigation and reduced scholarships) then by all means put in an application. I'll support you all the way.

Until we see this kid in action we should give him the benefit of the doubt. Who knows, he could end up being the best corner we've ever had. Let's hope for that instead of being so damn pessimistic.

From one fan to another,
NateDogg

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.