Oscar question

bwdial

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2000
Tampa, FL
With all of the movie talk, I'd like to get peoples' opinions on who won what, and if it was deserved.
I've seen opinions that Charlize Theron and Sean Penn weren't really deserving. Anyone have an opinion?

Although I didn't see Mystic River or Monster, I feel that Charlize pretty much deserved her win, while Sean Penn was a toss-up. I was firmly behind Bill Murray for Best Actor.

What shocked me was Return of the King winning Best Adapted Screenplay. I know they were going for the sweep, but there seemed to be stronger choices in that category.

Everything else was pretty much expected. My hopes of Peter Jackson winning Best Director were solidified when Sofia Coppola was given Best Original Screenplay.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bwdial:
With all of the movie talk, I'd like to get peoples' opinions on who won what, and if it was deserved.
I've seen opinions that Charlize Theron and Sean Penn weren't really deserving. Anyone have an opinion?
</font>
Charlize Theron--no question, deserved to win.

Sean--Hard to tell, since I haven't seen Lost in Translation. But I suspect that to some degree this was an "oops, we screwed up when we didn't give you best actor for Dead Man Walking" deal.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Dead Man Walking. . . now that was a stupid movie.

To paraphrase the film:
"I killed and raped a bunch of innocent people, but now that I'm going to be punished, I feel bad. . . . wah wah wah, boo hoo hoo."

LOTR winning so many awards was kinda silly, but it is nice to see that type of film get some attention. Normally movies don't win unless there's a lot of snotty crying involved. Too bad Sean Austin and Andy Serkis didn't get anything, as they were the show-stealers (Christopher Lee and Ian McKellan were also good), for sure. RE the best adapted screenplay, if you've ever read LOTR, you have to admit that it's pretty amazing that they were able to transfer it to the screen as well as they did. They basically got it right.

Woulda been nice to see Johnny Depp win. His best roles have been those that will never gain him an Oscar (Ed Wood, Once upon a Time in Mexico, Gilbert Grape, Ed Scissorhands). Then again, Penn was great in "Sweet and Lowdown." Admit it, oscars are usually never given for that which they are supposed to be (see Clint Eastwood for Unforgiven/about a million films, Russell Crowe for Gladiator/The Insider).

Speaking of "Mexico," I think it should have gotten best cinematography, but "Master" was good in that regard.

I haven't seen Mystic River, Lost in Trans, Cold Mtn, or Monster, so I probably shouldn't even be commenting. :p

Brtraker

1st Team
Nov 5, 2000
Decatur, Ala.
I have not been to all the nominated movies for best picture, but I did see Seabiscuit and it was a helluva movie.

------------------
ROLL TIDE! -- Drown the Aubies, stomp a mudhole in the Vols - and beat everybody else!!!

CrimsonNan

BamaNation Hall of Fame
Oct 19, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Alabama, USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brtraker:
I have not been to all the nominated movies for best picture, but I did see Seabiscuit and it was a helluva movie.

</font>
Thank you, thank you, thank you, I agree with you. I haven't seen the other movies that were nominated, but like you, I saw Seabiscuit, and I haven't shut up about it yet. I'm sure the members on this board wish I would......

------------------
"And though she be but little, she is fierce"

A quote from Shakespeare's play "A Midsummer's Night Dream".
Act III Scene II

O, when she's angry, she is keen and shrewd!
She was a vixen when she went to school.
And though she be but little, she is fierce.

CrimsonNan

BamaNation Hall of Fame
Oct 19, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Alabama, USA
Brtraker: Yes, I know the quote from the movie was...

"Though HE be but little, HE is fierce",

But the actual quote was "she", and that suits me.

------------------
"And though she be but little, she is fierce"

A quote from Shakespeare's play "A Midsummer's Night Dream".
Act III Scene II

O, when she's angry, she is keen and shrewd!
She was a vixen when she went to school.
And though she be but little, she is fierce.

crbama92

Scout Team
Dec 12, 2000
The South
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bwdial:
</font>
I didn't see Monster so can't comment on her, but I did see Mystic River and think Sean Penn was excellent.

That said, I enjoyed his role in 21 Grams much more. I think he, Benicio Del Toro, and Naomi Watts all deserved recognition for that film.

Pachydermatous

All-American
Feb 21, 2000
Birmingham, AL, Jefferson
Yep, Jack ---

I think LOTR was a smash because "Old Hollywood" didn't get its hooks into the film. With standard screen writing and direction you would have had a real "snotty crying" flic.

Also, the film's cast were relatively unknown and not packed with Hollywood retreads. Imagine Marlon Brando as Sauron and Robert Redford as Frodo --- with maybe Clooney tossed in as Aragorn and Britney Spears subbing for Arwen.

As it is, every time I see Liv Tyler I think "she elf."

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Liv did say that she wore nothing under the elf garb...

I am an avid movie fan and see close to 50 films each year. It is hard to argue with $2.8 BILLION in ticket sales worldwide. LOTR was a special series and the last movie got the credit for the entire series. This is why it swept - the academy knew that it deserved more recognition in the previous 2 years (IMO).

I also liked Sean, Tim and Renee in their roles - didn't really have a strong preference with the best actress as I missed Monster.

This is the first year in which I have felt that politics was absent in the awards - both in the winners and in their speeches.

BigAl99

Jan 20, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL
www.godo.8k.com
The only two categories that upset me at the Oscars were Best Song and Best Actress.

First song, that Annie Lennox song sucked compared to the other 4. She's done some good work in her time, but her song could not stand up next to Elvis Costello's (which I was rooting for). I loved Sting's as well as the song from "Triplettes from Belleville." Even though I knew it had no chance of winning anything, "A Mighty Wind" was one of my faves from last year, so an upset would have been nice in this category... an upset by ANYBODY!! (Especially Elvis C! I'm a huge fan)

Also, I can't stand Charlize Theron. I've never seen a movie with her that I liked, so I was definitely rooting for Diane Keaton. I've liked her in every movie I've ever seen of hers. I'm tired of beautiful woman gets ugly or semi-ugly and naked in indie thriller and wins Oscar. Halle Berry anyone?

Anyway, those were my two rants. (And I wanted to see Sophia win best director, but i knew it wasn't going to happen)

Any thoughts especially on the song?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.