Honeymoon Over

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This is the first game where I have held Coach Shula totally responsible for a loss.
You can't really blame lack of recruits or probation for this loss, this was totally on a poor choice of play calling, not going with the hot hand, or sticking with the cold one and just an abundance of poor choices.

I didn't see a multi milion dollar coaching job tonight, I saw one that resembled a Dubose led squad.

This could be the beginning of the end.

SGC

Banned
Sep 7, 2006
This is the first game where I have held Coach Shula totally responsible for a loss.
You can't really blame lack of recruits or probation for this loss, this was totally on a poor choice of play calling, not going with the hot hand, or sticking with the cold one and just an abundance of poor choices.

I didn't see a multi milion dollar coaching job tonight, I saw one that resembled a Dubose led squad.

You got it, my friend. This one is on Shula, plain and simple.

If Mike Shula does not make fundamental changes to the way he coaches a football game, this level of mediocrity is what we should expect. I haven't given up on him as the long-term answer, but I'm approaching that point very rapidly.

ONLY4UA

Scout Team
Nov 8, 2004
I am completely with you in being severely disappointed in the coaching of this game...but we are coming off a 10-2 season, Cotton Bowl Victory, and were a point away from being 4-0....how can you say "Honeymoon Over"?

ColoradoTide

Banned
Nov 19, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Agreed. I said at the beginning of the season that Shula has this season before he's on the hot seat if we don't see some improvements. Sure, we're a young team, but I mean improvement in context. The players did their part today. Shula did not.

Shula should have pulled Darby when he failed to produce.
Shula should have pulled Tiffen when the misses started to get into his head.
Shula was too conservative in the red zone late in the game playing for a FG.

If Shula loses to FL, TN, LSU and AU this year - I'll join the ranks against him.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am completely with you in being severely disappointed in the coaching of this game...but we are coming off a 10-2 season, Cotton Bowl Victory, and were a point away from being 4-0....how can you say "Honeymoon Over"?
Yes we did, but where is the consistency? Shula seems to be very stuborn about change or being adaptive; from coaching changes to benching a player to not running up the middle when it's not working, he is too young to be so stuck in his ways.

We were 10-2 last year, but I never felt that we were a top 10 ten after the Prothro injury and one player should not make or break a team that way.

TRUTIDE

All-SEC
Oct 14, 1999
Spanish Fort, AL
If this is the beginning of the end of anything, I think it is for Darby and Tiffin. The coach put them in position to make plays and they did not step up. Dary has been a totally different back from years past. Johns comes in and runs the same plays and get 5-6 yds while Darby has trouble breaking the line of scrimmage.

I think we are still seeing the effects of probation on the defensive side of the ball. We are getting better each week but are still giving up too many yds on the ground.

I think Shula calls a good game. He just needs to make a few adjustments in the players he puts in the positions to make the plays.

We will be fine.

TidenLA

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2001
Sparks, Nevada
dang straight, this one is on Shula, PULL the kicker after the THIRD MISS....what we have here is Tiffen = Vaughn I do feel for the kid, but Shula is a total idiot for letting him kick the game winner.....jeez

babyray

1st Team
Aug 7, 2002
Pell City, AL USA
I don't know that it is neccesarily the beginning of the end. i do think that BAMA has everything it needs to be successful. We have the facilities. We have everything in place. i truly appreciate CMS for getting us through the probation but that's over now. It's time to start beating the crap out of sorry teams like the one we played today. Hope he starts coaching with guts because BAMA has everything in place to get a top notch staff in there. If he doesn't start bringing his guts to the game with him, he won't be there because ALABAMA can get a coach that will bring his guts to the game. I know that is harsh but that is how I feel about it. I truly want him to be there. He is one of my all time favorite players. I want him to sucessful and be there a long time.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I don't know that it is neccesarily the beginning of the end. i do think that BAMA has everything it needs to be successful. We have the facilities. We have everything in place. i truly appreciate CMS for getting us through the probation but that's over now. It's time to start beating the crap out of sorry teams like the one we played today. Hope he starts coaching with guts because BAMA has everything in place to get a top notch staff in there. If he doesn't start bringing his guts to the game with him, he won't be there because ALABAMA can get a coach that will bring his guts to the game. I know that is harsh but that is how I feel about it. I truly want him to be there. He is one of my all time favorite players. I want him to sucessful and be there a long time.
again, well said, baby ray. if we supposedly have all of this talent, then why aren't we dominating on the field of play against mediocre/lower tier teams?(and don't one of you DARE try to get on here and say arkie is upper end sec team!) its either we don't have the talent that we think we have, or we are not getting the right coaching, or both--it chisels down to that. period.

raynaldy

Sep 18, 2006
I have one rule, Do Not Depend on the Kicker to WIN a game because you chances of winning are against you. Run or pass the ball down their throat inside the twenty yard line. do what has worked all day long.

Tide-one-on

All-SEC
Aug 14, 2003
Pensacola, FL 32514
Shula put us in position to win this game 3 times and a guy didn't get the job done....no excuse for missing an extra point! Everyone of the snaps/ holds and placing of the ball were done perfect! Needed to make 1 measly kick...

Ramah Jamah

1st Team
Sep 17, 2002
Mobile, AL
Shula put us in position to win this game 3 times and a guy didn't get the job done....no excuse for missing an extra point! Everyone of the snaps/ holds and placing of the ball were done perfect! Needed to make 1 measly kick...
No, we were in the position to win the game when Brown had single coverage and CMS/CDR decided they were going to run the ball up the middle and put a freshman FG kicker in to win the game.

babyray

1st Team
Aug 7, 2002
Pell City, AL USA
You do make a very good point but this game should not have come down to a kick. arkansas sucks. period.

At least in the Swamp Dubose let the Offense go for it. But I get what you mean. :BigA:

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
He put us in the position to kick a field goal instead of going for the throat and getting the TD! I expect to see you out on the pactice field next week to tryout for kicker since it is so easy!

TIDEFAN17

All-American
Mar 20, 2001
Tennessee
I still don't see how you guys think running Shula out of town is going to better the football program. If you think it was bad during the probation and coaching changes, how much intense diseray do you think it would be in after losing ANOTHER coach, having to AGAIN go through system changes, new staffs, maybe even another 3-4 win season. I couldn't and dont want to handle that. No good coach in his right mind would take over the Alabama job if Shula was ever let go. No one would. Some of you need to think about certain circumstances. I see the end of Alabama football not in the hands of a head coach, or Atheletic Director, but in the hands of the fans.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.