Has this coaching staff ever been on the same page?

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
How is it even reasonable to think that our coaching staff, top to bottom, should have aligned in terms of schemes, techniques, philosophies? Shula was brought in at a time of the calendar year when it would have been impossible to go out and pick-and-choose a staff. At the time, I think the only reasonable choice was to keep as many of the coaches as he could get by with. I understand the need for some continuity or stability, but why would Shula be satisfied leaving his future and the future of this program (both of which I think he genuinely cares about) on the idea that, "Well, this was the hand I was dealt, my only choice is to make it work."

Who would ever fault him for saying, "Coach X is a hard worker, but he is not on the same page with the system we want to run."??

s3bass

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 2, 2006
Montgomery
www.shaunsebastian.com
They were all on the same page on the first day of fall practice, when they opened their coachs' 2006 handbook. but since then, they have been on different pages. some of them aren't even in the same book!

NOSty

Suspended
Nov 23, 2002
Houston, Texas
I see S3bass, I see a boot, anyone else can fill in the blank.

Exactly how are they not on the same page? It appears that all defensive coaches are on the same page and all offensive coaches are on the same page. What page should both the defense and offense be on? They are independent of each other.

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
When will the barners stop their bait threads?:conf3: :rolleyes:
First off, HuntsvilleTider, I'd like to point out that I appear to be doing a better job of following Coach Bryant's advice in your signature than you are: You've got over 1300 posts in 22 months of membership, and I've made just over 50 in 6.5 years.:biggrin2:

I'm a 2nd generation Bama grad and have been going to games since I was in diapers.

I guess I did a poor job of phrasing my question, for sure my wording left myself open for all the smart alleck answers.

What I meant by my question was this: What were the chances that all the assistant coaches that were retained (not brought in by Shula) had philosophies that matched exactly what Shula would have chosen if he had started with a clean slate? Why would Shula continue to have undying loyalty to any that are not performing? We are Alabama, and we should be able to expect to hire the best assistants that want to coach here. Is our O-line coach the best available for our program?? Do his techniques fit well into Shula's conservative offense? Is the special teams coach the best available to us?

I can understand a coach being loyal to a person that he hired. But, I'm looking down the road 15 months from now, if no changes are made but the results on the field are the same (close losses to our biggest rivals), I truly believe that Shula's tenure will be over. If that's the case, I would point to us not consistently winning the battle in the trenches as a key reason to the team's lack of offensive success. At that point, would Shula say or think to himself, "Well, I did the best I could with the coaches I had. The o-line coach was the guy that was there when I arrived, and it was really just best that I stick with him"??

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.