Parcells out at Dallas (link). Which college coach would be interested?

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Can I go with Cowher????;) :biggrin2:
Of the 2 you mentioned above, that is a VERY tough decision because they have both been very successful in their area of expertise. I guess I would rather have Turner because of his success with young QB's, the improvement and success of the Bears' offense and his HC experience.
Supposedly Cower is taking a year off. Who knows though? The Cowboys would have to give Pittsburgh some draft compensation to hire him this year. Next year, his contract expires and he won't cost the team that hires him anything.

One hot assistant that I forgot is Norm Chow. He might be a good possiblity too.

RIVATIDE86

1st Team
Feb 2, 2005
Charlottesville, Va
Yes, 6 NFL, which I believe isn't as many as last year.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2716498

22 in college.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2636054

So as a Cowboys fan, would would you like to see them get? The only two "hot" NFL assistants remaining would be Ron Turner and Ron Rivera of the Bears.
I think it is interesting to look at these numbers. I would love to get a look at them from the last few years. 16.8% (assuming the Cowboys don't hire a college coach) of Div 1 college jobs turned over and 18% of NFL jobs did. So, just about 1 in 5 NFL teams will have a new coach next year, and since more positions changed hands the year before, 2/5 of the coaches will not have been with their teams for more 1 season at the beginning of next season. I would love to see more stats on this, but that seems crazy. How do owners expect consistency while cycling coaches like this?

CnW

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Someone posted on another site that Tubbs was spotted at Home Depot- Maybe he was buying a truckload of pine now that the Dallas job is open?
Maybe he is finally building that pine box he would be carried off in from Ole Miss.

What's already done? Jerry contacting Fisher? Fisher still doesn't have a long term deal. His option was picked up for next year, but Fisher could be trade bait. Bud can be very unpredictable.
I agree with your views on Bud Adams, although I do recall the reason Fisher's deal was extended was due to Dallas showing interest in him and Tennessee having a far better season than anyone thought they would. Stranger things have happened and a deal could be worked out, but I don't see Fisher leaving Tennessee for Dallas at this point.

I still think it's going to be a coordinator that gets this job. If it wasn't for the fact Dallas would have to throw some big money to Pittsburgh, I'd put Bill Cowher on the top of the list.

Again, any coach that does come to Dallas will have to work under the condition that Jerry Jones has the ultimate say on how the football team operates. When Dallas hired Switzer, Jones basically was saying, "We can win without Jimmy Johnson. I can get anyone off the street to be the coach and still get another championship."

Spot Dailey

Suspended
May 31, 2003
Los Angeles
www.JohnTown.com
When Dallas hired Switzer, Jones basically was saying, "We can win without Jimmy Johnson. I can get anyone off the street to be the coach and still get another championship."
And how long did that last? Switzer won one Championship with Jimmy Johnson's players and staff and then fell into the void when he was on his own merit. Jerry Jones in a moron and comparable to George Steinbrenner with the Yankees. He's a control freak that doesn't have the football expertise to back it up. His ego will keep the Cowboys in the tank for as long as he's in charge. He's the main reason I'm no longer a Cowboys fan. The signing of T.O. (Terribly Obnoxious) sealed the deal for me.

TideRoller

Banned
Sep 20, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
I agree with your views on Bud Adams, although I do recall the reason Fisher's deal was extended was due to Dallas showing interest in him and Tennessee having a far better season than anyone thought they would. Stranger things have happened and a deal could be worked out, but I don't see Fisher leaving Tennessee for Dallas at this point.

I still think it's going to be a coordinator that gets this job. If it wasn't for the fact Dallas would have to throw some big money to Pittsburgh, I'd put Bill Cowher on the top of the list.

Again, any coach that does come to Dallas will have to work under the condition that Jerry Jones has the ultimate say on how the football team operates. When Dallas hired Switzer, Jones basically was saying, "We can win without Jimmy Johnson. I can get anyone off the street to be the coach and still get another championship."
Thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't heard about Dallas expressing interest earlier.

And how long did that last? Switzer won one Championship with Jimmy Johnson's players and staff and then fell into the void when he was on his own merit. Jerry Jones in a moron and comparable to George Steinbrenner with the Yankees. He's a control freak that doesn't have the football expertise to back it up. His ego will keep the Cowboys in the tank for as long as he's in charge. He's the main reason I'm no longer a Cowboys fan. The signing of T.O. (Terribly Obnoxious) sealed the deal for me.
You may be right, but he has 3 Super Bowl championships under his belt. I'm no fan of the Cowboys, and I do think Jones has caused a lot of harm to the franchise... but still, like Steinbrenner, you cannot discredit their dedication to winning and being the best. A lot of people give Jones and Steinbrenner flack, but if I'm a sports fan, I want an owner that will do absolutely anything to win. In Jones' case, though, a lot of that has not turned out the way he wanted since Johnson left.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.