Hoover High Investigation

bmcklv

All-American
Nov 27, 2006
Huntsville, Alabama
link
A senior football player may have been allowed to take a final exam three times, Craig said. Hoover's 2006-07 teacher handbook states that seniors may re-take a semester exam once if a higher grade will allow the student to pass for the semester and if conditions outlined in the student handbook are met.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
There are few things that bother me about that article. First and foremost, I am not in favor of anyone having grades changed...it doesn't help anyone and the studen will likely never make it though a full year in college anyway if they can't pass High School.

Second and to be very disturbing is this math teacher who seems to have a problem not only with the grade changes (which again is fine with me) but moreso with how coaches are paid and how they handle their own camps. Granted many coaches today don't teach classes, but I'll guarantee you they work longer hours than 99.9% of the teachers at the school and in general aren't paid anymore than any of the teachers. Yes, Rush Probst is paid quite a bit more than most of the teachers, but his salary was underwritten by the Hoover High Football Booster Club...no different than what Alabama does to pay for Saban. The money used DOES NOT COME FROM THE UNIVERSITY and in Rush's case, does not come from the City of Hoover or the Educational system of Alabama beyond his salary for his tenure at school. If he were in the military it would be said that he is being paid in direct correlation with his pay grade (from the city).

The paragraph above is from my understanding of the situation. It was very different from Joey Jones who was paid quite well directly from the City of Mountain Brook Board of Education.

bat123

All-American
There are few things that bother me about that article. First and foremost, I am not in favor of anyone having grades changed...it doesn't help anyone and the studen will likely never make it though a full year in college anyway if they can't pass High School.

Second and to be very disturbing is this math teacher who seems to have a problem not only with the grade changes (which again is fine with me) but moreso with how coaches are paid and how they handle their own camps. Granted many coaches today don't teach classes, but I'll guarantee you they work longer hours than 99.9% of the teachers at the school and in general aren't paid anymore than any of the teachers. Yes, Rush Probst is paid quite a bit more than most of the teachers, but his salary was underwritten by the Hoover High Football Booster Club...no different than what Alabama does to pay for Saban. The money used DOES NOT COME FROM THE UNIVERSITY and in Rush's case, does not come from the City of Hoover or the Educational system of Alabama beyond his salary for his tenure at school. If he were in the military it would be said that he is being paid in direct correlation with his pay grade (from the city).

The paragraph above is from my understanding of the situation. It was very different from Joey Jones who was paid quite well directly from the City of Mountain Brook Board of Education.
I have the distinct feeling Mr. Quattlebaum probably spent some time in lockers as HS student...............

Blanda's Shoes

1st Team
Mar 27, 2003
Forrest Quattlebaum!?!? :eek:

The math teacher's name is Forrest Quattlebaum? You've got to be kidding.

Who's hiring these guys, Flannery O'Connor?

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
Forrest Quattlebaum, a Hoover math teacher, has said a player's grade was changed incorrectly to a higher one and done without Quattlebaum's consent. Quattlebaum has said he was told by two staff members the change was made after a computer error incorrectly rounded the grade down, jeopardizing the player's eligibility.
Forget the rest of it, what a name!!!

TideAlum

1st Team
Jun 29, 2007
I'm not sure where you get the idea that the math teacher brought up the coaches' pay issue. The article certainly didn't state that. It seems that the payment for running camps is something else that the Hoover Superintendent is considering.

Bluff Park Tide

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 5, 2007
Bluff Park in Hoover, AL
Guys, come on. That's his name...not like he had much choice in the matter.

I am VERY close to this investigation as someone in my family has already been interviewed by Mr. Pointer. The lack of ethics is rampant among the administration at both Hoover High School and Spain Park for that matter. And, since the Board of Education (appointed by the City Council) has chosen to rid themselves of any competent person with backbone over the last year or so, it goes ALL the way to the top -- and I mean Superintendent, Board of Education, City Council AND Mayor (Tony Petelos).

As a member of this community with children in the system. I just hope Mr. Pointer's investigation gets to the bottom of things so they can be cleared up. If things are just swept under the rug, it will only continue to get worse.

Bluff Park Tide

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 5, 2007
Bluff Park in Hoover, AL
Oh...another thing I meant to post in my first response...coaches not only get teacher pay in Hoover, but they also get a coaching supplement. I don't know the amounts, so I'm not saying it's a large amount. However, they do get paid above and beyond what teachers get paid.

AND to say that the Hoover High School Booster Club is subsidizing Rush's salary...well, first let me say that I am sure that it's true. BUT, it is against the rules of Hoover City Schools, if not illegal! The State Department of Education has VERY strict rules regarding how employees receive compensation.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
I'm not sure where you get the idea that the math teacher brought up the coaches' pay issue. The article certainly didn't state that. It seems that the payment for running camps is something else that the Hoover Superintendent is considering.
True it didn't state that per se, but it seemed a bit odd who they went from Quattlebaum to Craig and immediately began talking about a topic that to date was never brought up anywhere. I simply put two and two together and granted it may not equal four in this case, but the issue was raised by someone and it was either Quattlebaum or the ex Athletic Director who was the one who started most of this.

Again, I've got no problem whatsoever with the investigation into grade changes...I just don't like how things went from that to Coaches income. And certainly it is possible it was just a 2nd part to the interview, it was just put together in such a manner that it seemed as though (and again, I'm reading between the lines and that can be dangerous) someone, either Craig, Quattlebaum or Browning decided to make it an issue. However, when Browning was interviewed and Craig was interview neither seemed to believe there was a problem. Therefore, as I said I put a few things together that may or may not have been correct.:conf3:

TideAlum

1st Team
Jun 29, 2007
True it didn't state that per se, but it seemed a bit odd who they went from Quattlebaum to Craig and immediately began talking about a topic that to date was never brought up anywhere. I simply put two and two together and granted it may not equal four in this case, but the issue was raised by someone and it was either Quattlebaum or the ex Athletic Director who was the one who started most of this.

Again, I've got no problem whatsoever with the investigation into grade changes...I just don't like how things went from that to Coaches income. And certainly it is possible it was just a 2nd part to the interview, it was just put together in such a manner that it seemed as though (and again, I'm reading between the lines and that can be dangerous) someone, either Craig, Quattlebaum or Browning decided to make it an issue. However, when Browning was interviewed and Craig was interview neither seemed to believe there was a problem. Therefore, as I said I put a few things together that may or may not have been correct.:conf3:
Looks to me like the problem is likely the poor reporting by the Birmingham News. You shouldn't have to do mathematics while reading a sports article.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Judging from the responses here and the general vitriol against anyone who questions whether athletics perhaps is given a bit too much priority in our schools, it's no wonder that we're sitting next to Mississippi on the educational bench.

First, it seems that an unsupportable implication was made against a mathematics teacher.

Then, a bunch of unjustified classless remarks and personal jabs followed that implication.

I have immense respect for teachers. They have to get kids... many of whom do not want to be there and many that do not care... to perform at a certain level mandated by the state and federal regulations. Athletics is a sideshow. Education is the main feature and the only basis on which this state will move ahead and provide an environment in which we can prosper and provide for our families.

Some people in this state need to grow up and get their priorities in order.

TideAlum

1st Team
Jun 29, 2007
Judging from the responses here and the general vitriol against anyone who questions whether athletics perhaps is given a bit too much priority in our schools, it's no wonder that we're sitting next to Mississippi on the educational bench.

First, it seems that an unsupportable implication was made against a mathematics teacher.

Then, a bunch of unjustified classless remarks and personal jabs followed that implication.

I have immense respect for teachers. They have to get kids... many of whom do not want to be there and many that do not care... to perform at a certain level mandated by the state and federal regulations. Athletics is a sideshow. Education is the main feature and the only basis on which this state will move ahead and provide an environment in which we can prosper and provide for our families.

Some people in this state need to grow up and get their priorities in order.
I could not have said it any better.

BamaScooter16

1st Team
Aug 2, 2006
McCalla, AL
Guys, come on. That's his name...not like he had much choice in the matter.

I am VERY close to this investigation as someone in my family has already been interviewed by Mr. Pointer. The lack of ethics is rampant among the administration at both Hoover High School and Spain Park for that matter. And, since the Board of Education (appointed by the City Council) has chosen to rid themselves of any competent person with backbone over the last year or so, it goes ALL the way to the top -- and I mean Superintendent, Board of Education, City Council AND Mayor (Tony Petelos).

As a member of this community with children in the system. I just hope Mr. Pointer's investigation gets to the bottom of things so they can be cleared up. If things are just swept under the rug, it will only continue to get worse.
Bluff Park Tide, this story has been drug through the air for the past two week on Finebaum's show. My initial reaction to it was that it was yet another barner attempt to discredit Bama. Is there any validity to the accusation that CKS tried to get certain teachers to allow UA signees to retake exams so they could qualify? Or was that part just thrown into the mix by the barners to cover up their grade change scandal in Mobile?

tidebanker

1st Team
Oct 10, 2002
Hoover, AL USA
Granted many coaches today don't teach classes, but I'll guarantee you they work longer hours than 99.9% of the teachers at the school and in general aren't paid anymore than any of the teachers.
I usually enjoy your posts Alan but this one bothered me a lot. I guess you've met like 2 teachers. Below is the average life of the 99.9% of teachers you referenced.

Read it twice so you understand it thoroughly. I wouldn't want you to reply on what you thought you read.... but then have to go back explain your lack of reading comprehension again.

7:00 Arrive, tutor, meetings, prep
8:00-3:15 Classes (18 minute lunch)
3:15-4:00 Tutoring
4:00-5:30 Extra curricular program they "volunteer" to sponsor
6:00 See the fam, eat some dinner
8:00 Grade homework or tests
8:30 Parent calls
9:00 Get online and read negative posts about their life from people have an opinion but no perspective.

My spouse is a teacher AND a coach. The disrespect in this thread is upsetting and unfortunate.

TideAlum

1st Team
Jun 29, 2007
Bluff Park Tide, this story has been drug through the air for the past two week on Finebaum's show. My initial reaction to it was that it was yet another barner attempt to discredit Bama. Is there any validity to the accusation that CKS tried to get certain teachers to allow UA signees to retake exams so they could qualify? Or was that part just thrown into the mix by the barners to cover up their grade change scandal in Mobile?
I'm confused as to why your assumption is that the universities (UA & AU) are the sources of these controversies. Seems to me that we're finally learning some information about the effort that some schools go to to promote their product by passing on unprepared/unqualified students to the "big time." This isn't a new thing. High schools (heck, middle schools) have for years gone out of their way to make sure that their star athletes can be star athletes at a higher level.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've been assured by multiple sources that it will not involve Bama at all. This was all a smoke screen by Barners. But there's more than just Mobile involved. It's a real possibility that this little scandal will turn around and bite AU in the rear...

Tide Tales

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2006
I've been assured by multiple sources that it will not involve Bama at all. This was all a smoke screen by Barners. But there's more than just Mobile involved. It's a real possibility that this little scandal will turn around and bite AU in the rear...
We can always hope!:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.