Maybe its time to go back to basics on Offense.

Bama1970

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2007
Lucedale, Ms
Not trying to be funny or sarcastic here, but we are having way too many breakdowns on the offensive side of the ball. I know Houston isn't a "cupcake", but maybe its time to just go back to basic pounding SEC style football.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Not trying to be funny or sarcastic here, but we are having way too many breakdowns on the offensive side of the ball. I know Houston isn't a "cupcake", but maybe its time to just go back to basic pounding SEC style football.
That may get us a win or two against the weaker opponents but will do nothing to help us against the likes of LSU or AU. We've got to be able to throw the ball which will then open up the running game.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
one poster last night said the lights to the indoor practice field were on. so the back to basics process may have started last night.

Bama1970

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2007
Lucedale, Ms

Nothing to do with basics of football. but we do have a stable of running backs and our passing game isn't doing so well. Here lately its been run for 8 yards on first down then throw 2 incomplete passes and punt. The point i'm getting at is i think we have the backs to just pound the ball enough to eventually wear down defenses and make them respect the run enough to open up the passing game more.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Nothing to do with basics of football. but we do have a stable of running backs and our passing game isn't doing so well. Here lately its been run for 8 yards on first down then throw 2 incomplete passes and punt. The point i'm getting at is i think we have the backs to just pound the ball enough to eventually wear down defenses and make them respect the run enough to open up the passing game more.
Block, tackle , run, catch, throw, is it not that simple if you make your assignments all should run smoother?

Bama1970

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2007
Lucedale, Ms
Block, tackle , run, catch, throw, is it not that simple if you make your assignments all should run smoother?

One would think that any player at the college level would know the "basics" by now. What i'm refering too is basic SEC smashmouth, run in down their throat football. It has been noted too many times to count on this forum how Bama has seemed to have abandoned the running game too early the past 2 weeks. I'm just saying if you keep giving a D-Line a steady dose of Coffee, Upchurch, Johns, Huber, and Grant, sooner or later, your going to wear them down. That is what i meant by basic offense.

boilerbama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2003
Kimball,TN USA
You have a point. Look at UGA's offense. The I-formation with the tight-end in motion is as basic as it gets. Pound it with the tailback, play action to the t-end, then run the screen. Do anything but pass for 2 yard gains and out patterns for 4 yards. That is all UGA did this past weekend against Ole Miss. Wear them down. Pass enough to keep them honest, run the play action, but hammer them up front. RTR

in_the_'hood

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
Canton, GA, USA
Here lately its been run for 8 yards on first down then throw 2 incomplete passes and punt. The point i'm getting at is i think we have the backs to just pound the ball enough to eventually wear down defenses and make them respect the run enough to open up the passing game more.
Uh, you may want to pull out the tapes to our last few games and watch them again. Run for 8 yards on 1st down? Not quite. We haven't been able to run the ball at all except late in the game when we've been behind. Grant had one decent run in the FSU game and Coffee didn't have any until the late in the 3rd quarter.

Bama1970

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2007
Lucedale, Ms
Uh, you may want to pull out the tapes to our last few games and watch them again. Run for 8 yards on 1st down? Not quite. We haven't been able to run the ball at all except late in the game when we've been behind. Grant had one decent run in the FSU game and Coffee didn't have any until the late in the 3rd quarter.

Was being mildly sarcastic........ I just think we've been giving up on the running game too early. JMO.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
up the gut, sweep toss, bubble screen, 3 yard out/in, deep pass down the sideline.

seems to me our offense IS pretty basic.

this is not meant as a major complaint, but rather, a statement of what i see on the field. i'm no football x and o genius by any means, but i don't even see anything that would qualify as a "wrinkle" in our offense, much less anything to make me view it as advanced.

i've seen nothing that would give any good defensive coordinator difficulty in figuring out.

it's probably a function of the new system, the type of players/talent we currently have, and so on, but at present, our offense is pure vanilla extract.

BamaSteve999

1st Team
Oct 22, 2004
Go back and watch the few trap/counter plays that we ran against FSU. Very successful the very few times we tried it. Seems to help our

Also, if I'm a DC, the worst "wrinkle" I can think of is knowing that the offense I am preparing for is simply going to come out and knock ours in our watch pockets and run the ball. There's no scheme for getting knocked in the dirt that I am aware of, other than commit more folks to the box and open yourself up to big plays elsewhere.

At base, football is a really simple game if you don't screw it up.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Go back and watch the few trap/counter plays that we ran against FSU. Very successful the very few times we tried it. Seems to help our

Also, if I'm a DC, the worst "wrinkle" I can think of is knowing that the offense I am preparing for is simply going to come out and knock ours in our watch pockets and run the ball. There's no scheme for getting knocked in the dirt that I am aware of, other than commit more folks to the box and open yourself up to big plays elsewhere.

At base, football is a really simple game if you don't screw it up.
no doubt about it. the nebraska teams of the mid-90's basically lined up and told the defense "we're running the option off left/right tackle...we dare you to stop it." and few teams did.

unfortunately, we don't have that kind of dominating running game or road grader offensive line.

and although i understand that in football you often have to take what the defense gives you in certain situations, what was the deal with the passes to wideouts 2 yards passed the line of scrimmage on saturday?

we had guys running a total of like 25 yards on a crossing pattern and they'd catch the ball half a foot over the line of scrimmage.

all in all, the offensive effort on saturday was atrocious, and there were so many things wrong with it that it's basically impossible to blame anyone player or grouping on the offensive unit. bottom line is that the offense was embarrassing and made fsu's defense look like the 85 bears.

if the offense performs like that against lsu the game will be totally out of hand.

yellowhammer13

1st Team
Feb 1, 2005
Tallassee, AL
I can understand the thinking of wanting to see some "power" formations more often. We saw them earlier in the season... even though against weaker opponents. As I've stated on some other threads out here... I'm not a big proponent of the "single back" pro set that we've slowly migrated more and more to over the last few games. I miss seeing JJ or Huber linning up in the FB position and leading some good runs like before or adding extra protection in passing situations. I definitely think it would have helped against UGA and FSU who obviously had stronger defenses than we had faced before. I just feel we tried too hard to out finesse them with the one back when we should have maybe tried some power plays in the first half instead. We have too many good backs not to it try more often.
JMHO

RT1941

1st Team
Jul 16, 2003
Montgomery, AL
One would think that any player at the college level would know the "basics" by now. What i'm refering too is basic SEC smashmouth, run in down their throat football. It has been noted too many times to count on this forum how Bama has seemed to have abandoned the running game too early the past 2 weeks. I'm just saying if you keep giving a D-Line a steady dose of Coffee, Upchurch, Johns, Huber, and Grant, sooner or later, your going to wear them down. That is what i meant by basic offense.
I get what you're saying. IMO, run the football to help out a struggling QB is what is needed right now. And, Houston may just be the team to do this on. I hate to make an Auburn comparison. But, they played NMST at just the right time. They had a poor offense, QB, RB & WR's were horrible in the 2nd & 3rd game of the season, resulting in loses. They play NMST & shore up the offense, get the QB & RB's confidence back and look what happened in the FLA game. I hope we can see some of the same results with Houston. JPW & the entire offense needs a boost right now. Saturdays game may give them the boost to take on UM & UT.....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.