questions about DL

MUSSO

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 9, 2001
Tallahassee, FL
It is my understanding that Mark Anderson (6'6" 220) was initially recruited as a DE/TE but was moved to LB due to depth concerns.

Does anyone estimate that he will be moved back to DE? It just seems to me that a guy who has the agility and speed to be considered a possible TE and a valid LB ought to be a dominant DE provided he adds the necessary weight to his ideal DE frame.

Maybe for this to happen we need to sign as many as 3 LB studs who will be ready to contribute early.

Any feedback please!

MUSSO

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 9, 2001
Tallahassee, FL
Anderson's presence at DE now seems even more necessary now due to our depth concerns at DE. I am more convinced now that we need to focus on LBs and DTs this recruting season so that we can allow him to eat everything in his sight and free him from his LB duties next season to play DE.

whatchu think?

BamaKam

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2002
Orlando, FL
Apparently, Torbush REALLY likes Anderson's potential at Rover and has made him kind of a personal project (Torbush is over LB's as well as D coordinator). It is probably still possible that he would move to DE, but I think we will be fine there depth-wise.

Next year's rotation @ DE:

NML, A. Odom, T. Bates, C. Harris, K. Tatum, C. Browder (possible if he gets his ACT score)L. Williams and possibley J. Clark (DE/DT combo type player). Let me know if I missed anyone...

[This message has been edited by BamaKam (edited September 14, 2002).]

MUSSO

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 9, 2001
Tallahassee, FL
BamaKam,

Well, the problem isn't that you missed anyone, just that you included everyone, DE and DTs! lol

some points to remember:

1. L. Williams was initally recruited for DE out of high school but has had extreme difficulty bulking up. Currently, he is hovering around 200 lbs and plays only on special teams.

2. C. Browder has yet to make the grades, and even if he does, he has a lot of weight to add to play on the DL. Odds are, he'll start out at LB until he has enough weight. Again, he's not on the roster so we cannot assume his eligibility.

3. T. Bates will continue to be hampered by his groin injury likely for the duration of his college career which raises questions about his effectiveness and durability.

4. C. Harris has potential to contribute next year, but needs to add mass and muscle to his excellent tall frame.

5. Tatum and Clark were recruited for DT, but might be effective at DE until they acquire the strength and size for the interior. Problem is, who backs up Bryant and Childress at DT if Tatum and Clark are at DE?

6. Odom and McKay-Loescher are the only "men" at DE, but the undersized McKay-Loescher is largely ineffective against quality OTs.

[This message has been edited by MUSSO (edited September 16, 2002).]

BamaKam

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2002
Orlando, FL
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MUSSO:
BamaKam,

Well, the problem isn't that you missed anyone, just that you included everyone, DE and DTs! lol[This message has been edited by MUSSO (edited September 16, 2002).]
</font>
Not really. I noted that Browder had not qualified yet.

1. L. Williams was initally recruited for DE out of high school but has had extreme difficulty bulking up. Currently, he is hovering around 200 lbs and plays only on special teams.

Actually, he has been in the rotation some, mostly in garbage time, but he will probably be put in in pass rushing situations

2. C. Browder has yet to make the grades, and even if he does, he has a lot of weight to add to play on the DL. Odds are, he'll start out at LB until he has enough weight. Again, he's not on the roster so we cannot assume his eligibility.

I noted that in my post

3. T. Bates will continue to be hampered by his groin injury likely for the duration of his college career which raises questions about his effectiveness and durability.

He is already playing better THIS year. What info do you have that makes you think that this will be a career long injury? He gets almost equal snaps as the starters do now.

4. C. Harris has potential to contribute next year, but needs to add mass and muscle to his excellent tall frame.

I agree he needs to add mass, but he will play a good bit next year and he reported to campus this year at around 230; he should be 245+ next year and will contribute.

5. Tatum and Clark were recruited for DT, but might be effective at DE until they acquire the strength and size for the interior. Problem is, who backs up Bryant and Childress at DT if Tatum and Clark are at DE?

I noted that Clark would probably be a combo DE/DT in my post, I thought that Tatum was a DE all the way. We may have to use frosh on the interior (Grace and hopefully Lee in particular)but Herrion still might play DT next year and Taylor Britt is sitting out this year and projected at DT

6. Odom and McKay-Loescher are the only "men" at DE, but the undersized McKay-Loescher is largely ineffective against quality OTs.

NML spends a LOT of time in opposing backfields, I disagree with that point and Odom? He's just a man, period.

Thanks for your time, I'll be here all week!

MUSSO

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 9, 2001
Tallahassee, FL
BamaKam,

correct me if i'm wrong, but the point of your initial post was to substantiate Bama's sufficient depth at DE.

well, L. Williams' 200-pound body disqualifies him as a viable DE. He is primarily used on special teams but occasionally may be used at DE in spot duty if we ever acquire comfortable leads in games. For all intents and purposes, he's barely a LB that we use at the DE position because of current depth problems.

Browder's current ineligibility disqualifies him from being listed. We just don't know if he'll be available, and if he does become eligible he will have needed to gain a substantial amount of weight. He was slightly over 200 lbs when he signed with us, and that doesn't cut it in the SEC.

Unlike Watts' groin injury, Bates' condition is different. It existed before signing with Bama and was diagnosed as a rare problem. I forget the medical term for it, but his problem has been documented by media. He'll have to deal with this during his entire athletic career.

Nearly every recruiting publication that I could get my hands on, both national and local, forecasted Tatum as an eventual DT. A few however listed him as a TE prospect. Who knows where he'll end up, but he might possess enough mobility and athleticism to play both at end and tackle depending upon our need. The problem is that our depth at DT is just as critical as DE. We'll experience a numbers crisis along the DL unless we can work some magic with recruiting this upcoming year.

Simply put Jeremy Clark's future is at DT, period. He's got the ideal frame for the interior.

Harris as I said has potential but needs to bulk up. And as we have seen with Odom who is of similar build, adding weight to such a large frame takes time.

So, in summary, all of these factors cause our DE depth to be suspect. That's why I would like to see Anderson moved back to DE if we are able to cover his loss at LB.

[This message has been edited by MUSSO (edited September 20, 2002).]

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that Bama will probably have to make due with the DEs of Nautyn, Todd Bates, Antwan Odom, Chris Harris and Tatum. Nautyn has done pretty well so far, Bates and Odom have played a number of quality snaps, and Harris will beef up enough to play. Tatum is probably already big and strong enough to play now but I understand the desire to RS the kid. That means that you have 5 SEC calibre DEs. IMO, not much of a problem barring injuries.

BamaKam

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2002
Orlando, FL
Musso, well, maybe we are gonna agree to disagree here. My point is that we are at the very least solidly 3 deep and probably a good 5 deep at DE, but let's just go with a projected 2 deep at DE next year:

NML, Harris
Odom, Bates

Harris is already at least as big as Anderson, and probably bigger by now. He has a bigger frame from the pics and film I've seen of him.

We have essentially 3 starters coming back at DE, with Harris expected to be a solid backup. I agree that Williams is nothing more than a situational player.

I agree that Clark is DT bound, but many have said that he would be a combo; but I would expect his time as a DE would be when we run some variation of a 3-4.

Anderson is Torbush's special project, that is why he will stay at Rover and not DE. He is naturally thinner than Harris IMO, and would present the same problems that you state with Harris, Browder (if qualified of course) and Williams.

At least let's agree that Fran and Torbush/Eggan will find a way for the mix to work and be glad that neither one of us is making the football decisions, what do you say?

MUSSO

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 9, 2001
Tallahassee, FL
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BamaKam:
At least let's agree that Fran and Torbush/Eggan will find a way for the mix to work and be glad that neither one of us is making the football decisions, what do you say?
</font>
lol ... well i'd be lying if i said that i didn't hope to be the coach of Alabama football in my next life.

i believe that Fran & Co. will do their best to create the best product possible with what they have to work with, but there's nothing wrong with fans brainstorming, critiquing, proposing, and speculating. that's what makes NCAA football and Bama football so special--so many people are so deeply interested with the specifics of the game.

let me say this because i think the real difference with our opinions is what we each consider to be good depth. Fran and Torbush have both said that in the SEC a team needs to be at least 3 deep in each position. i've always felt that way. and if you look at your top teams like FSU, UF, Tenn., Tex, OU, etc. with the exception of the QB position, they are 3 deep at nearly every position. the grind of a football season requires a team in a good conference to have this kind of depth, especially in the trenches. that's why i'm so concerned about our DL.

wardrf

Jul 5, 2000
Jackson, Miss. U.S.
Guys,

Lets not forget about Mario Lane. He is commited and the coaches gave him a decision regarding whether he'll play DE or TE. He said he wants to be a DE. He is already 6'5" and 250+. He could very easily come in and get some very good playing time. Also, J.P. Adams is a walk on who is 6'4" and is 245. Although, he is probably a long way from a starting position, he could give us some Playing time. Also, from what I have heard Taylor Britt does not have near the bulk for DT. He could possibly play DE if he has enough speed, which he probably doesn't. It is safe to say that right now he lacks the speed and size for SEC ball. Not saying he won't bulk up during the off season. He needs to start working out with Antwan Odom.
Before this season I was VERY worried about depth on the DLine. CDF seems to find ways to develop this depth. If anyone hasn't noticed, Bear and Childress have been playing as much as the starters most of this year so far. I think that next year we will be a more balanced defense, but still very good. Our young DB's should be much better and LB's will be out of this world. The DL may not be as good but we will make up for it in other areas. Domiminic Lee is as key as any of the big time recievers. He could help us immensely next year as could A. Grace. We will be fine.

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
Side note: Bryant is a Senior next year, but has the option to file for an extra year. He was a partial qualifier his freshman year.

Same goes for Anthony Madison.

Also, Childress is only a Sophomore so we will see Bryant/Childress for 2 more years. They are playing better each game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.