Hurricane Charley - Cat 3 MAJOR

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
I worry if people are taking this storm seriously. He is going to be bringing storm surges of around 13 feet to the area, winds sustained at over 120mph (that's knocking on the door of a F-2 Tornado)

Mobile homes will be destroyed, as will poorly built frame homes, signs, trees, cars, etc. Landfall is estimated to be at 7:00pm CDT.

Watch it live at http://www.wtsp.com/news/live.asp

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
What's scary is this:

1. Winds progressively increase to the 120 mph sustained level, coming from the SW. Gusts exceed 145 mph.

2. Storm surge brings in 13 feet of water progressively, this combined with torrential downpours means areas that are not 20 feet above sea level are under water.

3. Sporadic and frequent tornadoes will be dropping, most in the F-0 to F-3 range. (Moderate to Severe damage to WELL CONSTRUCTED buildings.)

4. Winds abate then return from the NORTHEST at 130+ mph, effectively levelling structures damaged by the opposite flowing winds.

We are talking BILLIONS in damage and, God forbid, hundreds of lives if people to not take the storm seriously. This is no hurricane Danny.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Update

Now 125 mph sustained winds, moving at 20 mph on NNE track. At present, landfall expected between Sarasota & Ft. Myers (Charlotte Harbor).

Landfall around 6-7:00 pm.

TexasTide

All-SEC
Jan 11, 2002
Navasota,Texas,USA
Is it going to make landfall and cut accross FL or parallel the coast then hit the panhandle? The latter would be devastating. Instead of just damage to one area it would be all along the western and southern coasts of FL.

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
I feel confident that the esteemed and learned gentlemen paying the players of Knoxville's Professional team will endeavor to ensure that the players are adequately compensated.

Now, Charlie looks like he is going to put the smack down, I still hope everyone in the Ft. Meyers area and surrounding areas are taking him seriously. I heard that there were some who were planning a hurricane party changed their minds and now it is too late... they are stuck there.

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
It is a beautiful place. The storm surge alone is decimating their beaches and I shudder to think of the wind damage with gusts of 175mph being reported from NBC-2 out of Orlando.

The rain bands have already kicked off one tornadic bow echo, and several "violent" waterspouts in area waters. And it is just getting revved up.

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
A Cat 1 or Cat 2 is funny, being that they cause fairly minor damage and so on. This cat 4 is no joke. It is walking the coast, edging inland, with the leeward side over land and drawing strength from the Gulf.

Mar 12, 2003
Talladega, AL.
www.line-man.com
i wouldnt say that....irene wasnt a strong storm and it caused major damage in miami i know i was there workin;) they had over a million out of power there.....this is goin to be a mess if it goes up the coast cuz all the crews are in florida.....i know of guys from illinois and michigan already in florida.....the carolina's will be awhile to get power back

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.