Rivals.com experts predict commitments

Pedro Dynamite

Jun 22, 2007
Re: Experts weigh in on committments

I'd be good with that, although I'd love for Harris to follow in Demeco, Derrick, and Cornelius' footsteps...

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
heard on the radio tonight that glen harbin will most likely go to so car. said bama wont have room for him.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
heard on the radio tonight that glen harbin will most likely go to so car. said bama wont have room for him.
Us nor Fla either . I was afraid this might happen to him . Next year we won't be able to sign near as many players so the ones who are offered better get on board when have the chance or they may end up at some dump like smu or a perennial power such as tulane . :rolleyes:

I think if they were to bother with checking , Troy will make a spot for them . RTR/GT :smile:

Last edited:

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
South Carolina won't be the only school to benefit from us not having enough room for everyone. It's nice to finally be in a position to be so selective though.

LSUFan21

Suspended
Jul 23, 2007
[Next year we won't be able to sign near as many players/QUOTE]

Why is that? You won't be able to sign the 25? That happened to LSU a few years ago when we were up against the 85 scholly limit and we could only sign like 14 or so. Is that what you're talking about?

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006

Why is that? You won't be able to sign the 25? That happened to LSU a few years ago when we were up against the 85 scholly limit and we could only sign like 14 or so. Is that what you're talking about?
yes thats what he is talking about.

RunBamaRun

1st Team
Jun 7, 2006

Next years graduating class will be one of the sanctioned classes when only 17-18 scholarship recruits could be signed. The 85 total was filled in by awarding scholarships to walkon's.
This years graduating class was reduced also but undoubtedly it is attrition and walkons awarded schollies leaving that allows us to sign more. Who knows, the same situation (as this year) could occur and us have more than we expect available next year.

Last edited:

Good question! I would think redshirting would be a possible culprit for that to happen. The less you redshirt the more you can recruit and sign. I would hope, at least for most positions that eventually redshirting will be a rare thing! 85 max and 25 max each year! Taking on "Projects" I would also expect to deminish big time now that coach Saban is here!

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
A couple of the other guys are a bit of a surprise.

The RB, D. Scott I thought was SoCal bound from the word go. But now it looks like a 4 team race and USCwest is not among them. I'd like to know what the LSU fans think their chances of landing him are? He is a beast and will be a terror if he reaches the SEC. I hope he ends up at UT-Austin.

Omar Hunter was also a bit of a surprise, I thought he was destined for UF as soon as he left ND, but now it looks like UGA might have just as good of a shot as UF. I had even heard at one point he was a silent commit to UF, any word from our Gator friends?

Also, kind crazy, but of the 13 remaining players, an SEC school is listed as a finalist for all but 1 player. And over half are expected to sign with an SEC school. Looks like the SEC rules again!!

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I tried to post this a few days ago to get some numbers thrown out there...

At the very least, even if we bring in 25 kids this year and that pushes us to literally 85 scholarship players, we're still going to bring in quite a few kids.

We have 15 scholarship players who will be leaving (eligibility expires). Moreover, we are probably looking at around two players moved to medical scholarship. Chris Lett is a possibility and Cody Davis (shoulder), I think, is a lock, and there could be someone else. Then, you have to factor in the fact that, at the very least, we're probably looking at two or three guys leaving the program of their own volition.

Moreover, some of the mods around here have speculated that the attrition number could be much, much higher. One of them, I believe, said he thought around eight players sounded about right.

Even if no one leaves in that fashion -- extremely unlikely, but still -- we should have around 17-18 spots open, and we would probably oversign with about 20 to take into account the academic casualties. And if the attrition gets really bad, we may very well sign 25 players or more again in 2007.

Just how big it will be will depend on how many players leave over the course of the next year, but at the very least it won't be as small as the one LSU21 was talking about that they had to sign several years back. At bare minimum, we'll bring in 19-20 commitments, and likely many more.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Well, most of them think the kid from Gadsden is going to the Barn.
More importantly... all of them think Julio is coming to Alabama. In all fairness, I think everyone would be shocked if Julio did not come to Alabama, and not just the 'Bama people.

Moreover, three of the four think we get Alonzo Lawrence as well.

I'd love to have all three, but if we can land both Julio and Lawrence, I'm not worried the least little bit if Harris does not come here.

We, in all fairness, probably need both Julio and Lawrence more in the short-term than Harris. Both Julio and Lawrence would probably start as true freshmen, but Harris is going to have to bulk up a lot to play for us at linebacker. He probably needs to add another 15-20 pounds before he can legitimately play like we would want him to. 215 pound guys just don't get it done in the 3-4, even at outside linebacker.

Last edited:

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.

Both Julio and Lawrence would probably start as true freshmen, but Harris is going to have to bulk up a lot to play for us at linebacker. He probably needs to add another 15-20 pounds before he can legitimately play like we would want him to. 215 pound guys just don't get it done in the 3-4, even at outside linebacker.
If we are fortunate enough to sign Harris, he will play a lot as a true freshmen and even start a few games. I am not saying he will be a game 1 starter, but he will be a starter at some point next year if he comes to Alabama, mark it down. :smile:

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
You know that rumor about Saban cutting players? Well during spring training and training camp, they'd better work and not give him a reason lol:p

Legal troubles from players that don't contribute a lot, beware. :eek:

I wouldn't be surprised if a QB or so left.

BAMA504

Suspended
Jun 28, 2007
If we get the 2 they predict I will be more than HAPPY

JJ and AL is just what we need to have the greatest year I have ever seen!!

drjamesm

All-American
Nov 12, 2003
bham,al,USA
There is ALWAYS attrition every year with players transfering,giving up football,injuries,etc...............so one thing is certain we can sign only 25 per year. However,we do have 2 back counters in this group,1-2 may get Byrant schollies(so can't play for 2 years),and you can bet 1-2 at least will fail to get in for academics. IF you add that up 26-5/6= 20. I would say 4-5 more max that could be added to this class.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
There is ALWAYS attrition every year with players transfering,giving up football,injuries,etc...............so one thing is certain we can sign only 25 per year. However,we do have 2 back counters in this group,1-2 may get Byrant schollies(so can't play for 2 years),and you can bet 1-2 at least will fail to get in for academics. IF you add that up 26-5/6= 20. I would say 4-5 more max that could be added to this class.
You can sign more than 25. We will sign more than 25 this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.