Some thoughts after tonight's game

rolltide92276

1st Team
Jan 8, 2002
Hueytown, Alabama, U.S.A.
1. Our effort, our hustle and our overall showing are things about which I was pleasantly surprised.

2. I was glad to see CMG use some full court pressure defense. With our quickness we should be able to force some turnovers.

3. Our glaring weakness right now is rebounding. While we did better than I expected, Pitt was able to get quite a few second chance points.

Overall I am very optimistic about this season. We are a work in progress but I am very proud of the effort our team put in tonight. I think we will win our share of games and maybe even surprise some people along the way. RTR!

countrytider

Suspended
Mar 19, 2001
Marion Co., AL
yeah, i agree, you could defintely tell that Winston wasnt 100%. I think we're going to suprise some people, especially when they get a few games under there belt and KW gets healthty. I appreciated Dickie V's kind words about Alabama though, especially the comments he made about the football team, and Coach Shula, sayin he was a man of class, and integrity, and he would have Bama back on top of college football before too long. RTR

Normally, I'm not a doom and gloomer, but I didn't give us much of a chance before this game.

Even though we lost, I was thoroughly impressed with the team, especially since they looked a tad bit uninspired during the exhibition game. Chuck Davis REALLY stepped up to the plate in this game. As Vitale said, his confidence grew as the game progressed. I'm real glad he took the initiative. If we can have players do that throughout the season, we'll be fine. I remember last year how it was Emmitt Thomas who stepped up to the plate. Good to see we at least tried to start with a bang.

There are a number of good but young and inexperienced players for the Tide this year. They'll learn the tricks of the trade and only get better. I'm sure there will be some growing pains this year, some stupid mistakes that can be chalked up to inexperience but a year from now, I expect these guys to be dramatically better. The front court guys are athletic but need to beef up. That takes time.

micah_07

1st Team
Nov 5, 1999
Dallas, Tx.
Once the young guys (Davidson, Davis and others) get more time they will be good. Chuck Davis eminds me of Vin Baker a little. Ken Winston will be fine. We have to remeber that he just had surgery. They played and looked better coached than they did all of last year!!!

CrimsonCreature

Nov 9, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
I was extremely impressed and pleasantly surprised. Like the rest of you, I was expecting the worst. Pitt is an excellent team that will contend for their conference title and definitely be in NCAA tourney. If we can just survive the pre-conference schedule (Oregon, Wisconsin, Providence and Xavier are really tough) we should surprise some people in our conference. We will be a much improved team in a month. CMG and staff have to happy with how we looked.

Patriot_81

Suspended
Jun 25, 2001
tuscaloosa, alabama, USA
I think what really hurt us is that we don't have any big men down low that could battle Troutman. If Davis, Brock, Rambo, Taylor, Davidson, and Atkins will push each other to get bigger and stronger then we might have a great inside game. We are a young team and in 2 years we might have the best team in the SEC.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
We definitely got killed on the boards by their more physical inside players, but I thought we played pretty darn well for a team with little experience. We got back to standing around on offense in the second half and I think that hurt us, but we should be a fun team to watch. I just love watching our point guard(I can't believe I am drawing a blank on his name right now). He was a walk on who earned a scholarship and has he ever deserved it. Pettway! Whew, I was afraid I was losing my mind for a minute. Antoine Pettway is a prime example of why I love college sports.

PsychoJoe

Suspended
Jul 5, 2002
Pelham, Alabama
I too liked a lot of what I saw. We definitely have something to build on. Still, the points others have made about our lack of bulk inside are glaringly true. Reed at Ole Miss, and Killingsworth and Robinson at Auburn, Loreda at LSU, will shove our guys around this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.