Rate Doug Nussmeier at the halfway point

TidenLA

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2001
Sparks, Nevada
I liked the Tight formations that CJM used a lot last year to disguise what we were doing and throwing more on first down was good as well. I give him an A- for his first year.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Well, I agree, of course, but we've certainly seen enough to start making some judgments about tendencies and the like. As I said above, the ball looks spread around a bit more, but I don't see any real sea changes from CJM's philosophy, and it's one which matches Saban's expectations. I guess Bebes is happy with what he sees. I remember when he used to rail about Homer's "extended handoff" offense and call for more downfield passing...
I think you're basically right. We obviously had some coaching turnover, but I think for the most part it has been Nussmeier acclimating himself to what we do more than us making any major changes and implementing what he would have brought with him. Of course, though, I figure that was one of his big selling points anyway, in that he could transition in quickly with few changes because we ran similar schemes.

We'll see what happens on down the road. I've been pleased with the early returns, and at the very least he's not a dud (you hire someone like Loeffler, you know how bad it is almost immediately). That said, just not sure he can put together and call a perfect game like McElwain did against Florida in 2009 or LSU in 2011. I'm hoping the answer is yes, but that's just one of those things you have to see first. You've got to be bona fide and big-time to pull off something like that, so he'll have to prove himself in time.

I think we're a bit more versatile in the passing game now, like you mentioned in a separate comment, but I don't know if that's much of a philosophy change, if any at all. In the four years under McElwain we didn't have QB play nearly as good as we have now, and we had a few legitimate superstars at the skill position (Julio, Ingram, and Richardson). I think the offense at the time took that into consideration and the QB became more of a game manager who tried to get the ball in the hands of the star players. Now, though, I don't think we really have that same standout player, but we've got much better QB play and a lot of talent across the board, even if no one true superstar, per se, so we operate a bit differently. I still don't think that is much of a philosophical change, though, as much as it is just making some minor changes to fit current personnel.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: the screen game against LSU...

That's the easy anecdote for the armchair QB, but that typically doesn't work very well in practice.

Opposing DC's know they have you beat outside at tackle and that you will want to use the DE aggressiveness against them, so they know the screen game is coming. They then respond by playing the corners underneath in short zone and routinely have the linebackers scrape the flats. Everything gets compressed and you end up trying to lob a screen over a DE only to have a CB or a LB come in and blow the play up for nothing.

The better solution is to control with the running game and throw the football down the field on early downs, when DE's have to respect the run. That is how we beat LSU in NOLA last January, even though they were destroying our OL by using their quickness to shoot the gaps, and if we beat them in Baton Rouge in a couple of weeks that is how it will go down.

Against LSU, we'll have to throw it well again on first and secnod down, and avoid the third and long situations. If we routinely find ourselves in 3rd and 6+, that pass rush is likely to eat McCarron alive. The good news is that I think they are a bit softer against the run along the interior without Brockers, so hopefully the running game will be a little more successful this time around. Still though, their quickness is an issue there, too.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we're a bit more versatile in the passing game now, like you mentioned in a separate comment, but I don't know if that's much of a philosophy change, if any at all. In the four years under McElwain we didn't have QB play nearly as good as we have now, and we had a few legitimate superstars at the skill position (Julio, Ingram, and Richardson). I think the offense at the time took that into consideration and the QB became more of a game manager who tried to get the ball in the hands of the star players. Now, though, I don't think we really have that same standout player, but we've got much better QB play and a lot of talent across the board, even if no one true superstar, per se, so we operate a bit differently. I still don't think that is much of a philosophical change, though, as much as it is just making some minor changes to fit current personnel.
The last time I mentioned this little tidbit, I actually did comment that I thought it had as much to do with the QBs, even AJ his first year, he had to work with as philosophy...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: the screen game against LSU...

That's the easy anecdote for the armchair QB, but that typically doesn't work very well in practice.

Opposing DC's know they have you beat outside at tackle and that you will want to use the DE aggressiveness against them, so they know the screen game is coming. They then respond by playing the corners underneath in short zone and routinely have the linebackers scrape the flats. Everything gets compressed and you end up trying to lob a screen over a DE only to have a CB or a LB come in and blow the play up for nothing.

The better solution is to control with the running game and throw the football down the field on early downs, when DE's have to respect the run. That is how we beat LSU in NOLA last January, even though they were destroying our OL by using their quickness to shoot the gaps, and if we beat them in Baton Rouge in a couple of weeks that is how it will go down.

Against LSU, we'll have to throw it well again on first and secnod down, and avoid the third and long situations. If we routinely find ourselves in 3rd and 6+, that pass rush is likely to eat McCarron alive. The good news is that I think they are a bit softer against the run along the interior without Brockers, so hopefully the running game will be a little more successful this time around. Still though, their quickness is an issue there, too.
After the NC game, Saban made the remark that "I told them (our offensive staff) that they were going to have to throw on first down."

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I won't grade this offense but I will say this,we have moved the ball well for the most part put up more points scored more in the red zone and lost some good players in the process.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We've had a good scheme. We've moved the ball pretty well.
We've stopped ourselves a few times. It's been us performing to our abilities.

We haven't faced a serious challenge yet. Several teams that were supposed to challenge us
turned out to be pretenders.
Several teams with top rated (at the time) quarterbacks, folded when they played us.
Was it our Defense, or were these guys only average. Hyped but average is my guess...

Our schedule is back loaded, with the better teams in our conference, so we will be tested soon.

So far... CDN has been up to the challenge. I expected no less.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I anticipate a little more screen passes against LSU. Like everyone said, that isn't the only answer though because it can be defended if they know its coming or at least likely to be called. We will probably roll the pocket more, chip with the TEs on pure drop backs, and try more quick timing passes over long developing crossing routes.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I'm not as high on coach Nussmeier as I was a couple of weeks ago. AJ has something to do with this but overall we haven't gone to our strength, which is the run often enough imo.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
I give him a B. I think he will settle in next year. Still the O is OK. I will say that every year the experts say the O is our strength, we end disappointed with the over all results.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The only difference I see is that we go vertical more, of which I'm happy. I think our Secondary is just too tired and we are unable to get the stops late in the season. I give him an A-

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.