Perry, Lester, and Milliner Respond to Theo Riddick's Comments About Bama Secondary

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Yep. Technically we're the underdogs being ranked 2nd.
Technically the favorite or underdog is based on who the bookmakers (Vegas) say is the favorite. That is Alabama, make no mistakes about that. We as a program should be passed the idea that we need to be underdogs to show up to play. We are Alabama and we are Champions. Now go out and get what is OURS!!!!!

Last edited:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Ah, ND has lifetime winning record against the SEC including 5-1 against the Crimson Tide. They have made a habit of beating SEC teams that were supossedly going to destroy them.

It will be a tight game Monday night

;)
THIS Notre Dame team has ZERO history against the SEC or Bama. The last time ND faced an SEC team was 2006 - before any of these players were in college, before either of these coaches were on our respective campuses - and they got POUNDED by LSU 41-14 (which also happened to be the last time ND played in a BCS bowl).

Unless something's changed and we're playing a "Legends" game, that "habit" you speak of is non-existent; and in no way, form or fashion can be used to predict a tight game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
All this stuff about history and such is meaningless to these players. Most of these guys were not even born the last time Alabama and Notre Dame played. Many of their parents weren't even adults the last time the two played for a title.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Our weak link is our defensive secondary and our defense is ranked:

• 1st nationally in opponent red zone scoring percentage at 62.96%
  • 1st nationally in passing plays of 10+ yards allowed for the season with 78
  • 2nd nationally in passing yards allowed per game at 166.2 ypg
  • 2nd nationally in opponent field goal percentage at 41.7%
  • 2nd nationally in total passing TDs allowed at 7
  • 6th nationally in pass efficiency defense with an efficiency rating of 101.5
  • 11th nationally in total opponent first downs by passing with 103
  • 13th nationally in overall completion percentage allowed at 54.3% (196 of 361)
  • 14th nationally in passing yards per attempt allowed at 6.0 ypa
  • 16th nationally in opponent 3rd down conversion percentage at 32.42%
  • 17th nationally in total interceptions at 17
  • 28th nationally in opponent red zone touchdown percentage at 51.85%

Individually:

• Dee Milliner is ranked 1st nationally in passes broken up with 18 total
  • Dee Milliner is also ranked 4th nationally in passes defended per game at 1.67
  • Robert Lester is ranked 29th nationally in interceptions with 4 total

To say that this is our weak link seems like a compliment rather than an insult. :biggrin:

Last edited:

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
I wouldn't call the Bama secondary a weak link. When your run defense does a good job of stopping the run the pass becomes the only means a team can move the ball. That doesn't make the secondary weak, just the best means available.

In college football overall, the secondary is the most exploited unit for every team. It's a big step from HS football to College football especially for defensive backs.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Our secondary, outside of Milliner, is the weak link. Most Bama fans I know agree with this assessment. I thought the coverage improved as Geno Smith developed a larger role late in the season, but the better QBs we faced late made some plays and picked up some yards on us. Our DBs are still pretty good, but truthfully we faced mostly sub-par QBs this year.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Message boards are you kidding? Let me enlighten you: Herbstreit ESPN's #1 College FB analyst "For ND to have a CHANCE in this game, Everet Golson is going to have to make plays and and play the BEST game of his life."

I can site a WHOLE bunch more in the media too. Does not bother me because they have been wrong ALL YEAR about ND and they will all be wrong again.
Perhaps, but can you cite a WHOLE bunch more... :)

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
...but the better QBs we faced late made some plays and picked up some yards on us. Our DBs are still pretty good, but truthfully we faced mostly sub-par QBs this year.
I agree with this but the key words there are "better QB's". Unless Golson has a Mettenberg moment he will definitely not be counted in that group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
Our secondary, outside of Milliner, is the weak link. Most Bama fans I know agree with this assessment. I thought the coverage improved as Geno Smith developed a larger role late in the season, but the better QBs we faced late made some plays and picked up some yards on us. Our DBs are still pretty good, but truthfully we faced mostly sub-par QBs this year.
Questions on this one: Is Golson one of the better QBs we've faced? I say no.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
"weak" is based on what here? Passing is easier than running the ball vs Bama? compaired to other teams secondary the opponent has faced? A National comparison of teams secondary statistics? Perception?

Weak is a subjective and broad word here.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.