News Article: Sugar bowl to be host of SEC-Big XII champions game

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It's a little confusing. What started out sounding like a new game in a new location is now an old game in and old location. I guess I can't complain though...
It sounds good to me, keep the Sugar Bowl but have a tie in with another top conference. The small market teams can't complain anymore because the playoff is open to all? That's all I can figure in how we could do this. This is one less BCS Bowl for Boise State.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Awesome. Glad the SEC has a clear-cut opponent in the game now rather than an at-large. Maybe we can get paired up with Texas again sometime soon.
We will be playing in the 4 game playoff every year, so we won't be playing in this game ever. ;) :biggrin2:

It's a little confusing. What started out sounding like a new game in a new location is now an old game in and old location. I guess I can't complain though...
As CapstoneTider said, the big positive change from before is that now is that the SEC won't have to face crappy Big East Champion teams or mid-major undefeated teams (like Hawaii). There will be a quality opponent every year.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
It sounds good to me, keep the Sugar Bowl but have a tie in with another top conference. The small market teams can't complain anymore because the playoff is open to all? That's all I can figure in how we could do this. This is one less BCS Bowl for Boise State.
The BCS will be out of the Bowl selecting business after next season. This moves guarantees that we play a big name school, ups the dollar amount we make from our bowl tie ins, gives us ammunition against the PAC-12 & BIG the next time there's a post season shakeup disscussed, and puts that bowl game in SEC Country. Plus, we get to keep the Sugar Bowl brand? Win!

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Once again, this is NOT a old bowl game in an old city. This is a NEW bowl game that is actually owned by the conferences themselves. The sent out RFPs to 10 cities to win the right to host the new game. Part of that, IIRC, was to allow the Big 12/SEC to use the name of the existing bowl should that city be won. This arrangement allows the conferences to control the money rather than allowing what happened with the Fiesta Bowl to happen again.

Dr. Van Nostran

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2006
3 miles from Bryant Denny Stadium.
We will be playing in the 4 game playoff every year, so we won't be playing in this game ever. ;) :biggrin2:

As CapstoneTider said, the big positive change from before is that now is that the SEC won't have to face crappy Big East Champion teams or mid-major undefeated teams (like Hawaii). There will be a quality opponent every year.

Like when we played Utah?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.