Question: What was your most memorable Alabama vs. Auburn game?

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Well, my favorite was the whole 1973 to 1981 streak. Most of the games were not that memorable(except Bear's 315 win), but that is the way I like this rivalry. I hope Bama can keep dominating for a good many years.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
We have to play'em so why not enjoy the view! What was your most memorable Iron Bowl?

I think my most memorable is the 1978 Iron Bowl. That was our first "Goal Line Stand" that year against AU. They had Cribbs, Brooks and Andrews in the same backfield and couldn't score from 1/2 Yard line. Wish they would've shown it in the video. I remember John Forney's call like it was yesterday!
67 - Stabler's run in the mud
72 - Punt-Bama-Punt
85 - Tiffin kick

The 72 game was memorable in a bad way of course but it was my freshman year at Alabama and some of my HS classmates that went to AU and I had agreed to meet at the main gate before the game was over because they wanted to follow me back to Tuscaloosa for the victory parties. I missed the second blocked punt and they were running toward me going crazy. I threatened to kill any one of them that touched me and kept on walking out the gate. They've never let me forget that game.

2000 for all the wrong reasons. It was the first Iron Bowl I attended, and I was a freshman at Alabama. The sleet and horrible play made it something I can't forget, even if I wanted to.

A close second would be 2002 only for the moment where my dad, standing behind me in the student section, colorfully screamed about how a near crippled Lane Bearden was the only person who could make a tackle.

tmv85

All-SEC
For me, the '85 win is the most memorable. I was a freshman at Bama, in the color guard, and attending my first Iron Bowl. After the game, I tried to call my dad collect from the stadium. He & my brother are auburn fans. My brother answered the phone, and when the operator said it was a collect call from Trina & asked if he would accept the charges, he yelled no and then slammed down the phone.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
96. I wasnt alive for the 85 game so i cant really judge it. but the 96 game was like the LSU game this year. We pretty much were owning the 1st qurter and then Craig just goes off and changes field position the rest of the night and the auburn defense starts cow tipping our qb and a comeback seemed unlikely. Then all of the sudden bama drives it down the field with no time outs and riddle steals the show and we win.
94 will have to be a close second because it was two undefeated teams playing a tight game that literally came down to an inch.
I know people will say 09, but i really didnt feel that worried about it cuz i kinda expected auburn to throw the sink at us and then our discipline would overcome their emotion. I think people put this one so high because of the BCS implications on the line, but the fact was we had 7 minutes with one of the best offenses with 3 timeouts to march it down on them so i really felt confident

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Surprised no one listed the 2009 game. Last minute heroics allowed Alabama to win their first championship in 17 years.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
Me too! I was a freshman, marching snare with the MDB. After the kick (which you could actually hear), I remember drums, sticks and cymbals flying around....bedlam!! Best football game I've ever witnessed. I still have my drumsticks from that game and use them every time I go back and march with the alumni band!

For me, the '85 win is the most memorable. I was a freshman at Bama, in the color guard, and attending my first Iron Bowl. After the game, I tried to call my dad collect from the stadium. He & my brother are auburn fans. My brother answered the phone, and when the operator said it was a collect call from Trina & asked if he would accept the charges, he yelled no and then slammed down the phone.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The 1985 game took off in the fourth quarter. Shula went for the kill leading 16-10, but Kevin Porter intercepted in the end zone. Auburn then drove methodically but needed a fourth down to tie it. Then they missed the PAT.

Oops! Tide had 12 men on the field. Second PAT good and Auburn up, 17-16. Oops! Somehow Tide had 12 men on the field again!! Auburn kicked off from the 50 and pooched it. Somehow, five Tide players nearl collided and missed the ball. Thankfully it went out of bounds.

One play later, the future traitor bolted 74 yards for a TD. The missed two made it 22-17. Auburn got the ball back and again drove methodically downfield. The most critical play turned out to be a late hit by Kermit Kendrick on an Auburn player. Instead of first & ten at the 27, Auburn was at the 12. They eventually scored but missed the two, so with 58 seconds left.

A touchback put it at the 20.

Shula's first pass was into triple coverage & nearly picked off. Shula got sacked on the 12 to make it 3rd and 18, leading to the last time out with 37 seconds left. Shula hit Traitor at the sideline for fourth & 4 on own 26 with 29 seconds left.

Tide ran a great reverse with Shula throwing the key block and Al Bell gained 20 yards to make it first and 10 at the Tide 46 with 21 seconds left after Bell got out if bounds. Shula threw into double coverage incomplete.

The next play was great: no rush, Shula looking, looking....he hit Greg Richardson at the right hash on the 44. The Auburn defender grabbed him almost immediately but GR got out of bounds at the 36 with six seconds left. Little GR was tiny but dragged the defender to the sidelines.

Rushed onto the field quickly and no time to think, Van Tiffin launched a missile into the Birmingham night, a 52-yard bomb into the breeze. It was good. And it happened so fast it was unreal. Frank Broyles even said his heart couldn't take it. A few hundred fans rushed the field.

Consider this: the final 37 seconds only took 2:49 of real time to play and included an incomlete pass, a reverse, and covered 88 total yards.

Frank Broyles: "That's the most fabulous fourth quarter I have ever seen in my life. I don't EVER remember such a fantastic finish."

tidegrandpa

All-American
1976, I know not a banner or memorable game, but I had proposed to my future wife the week before, her and her entire family were (and still are)aubies. Her dad graduated there.

I took her and my obnoxious Alabama fan nephew to the auburn Game, We had lost that year to Ole Miss, Georgia and Notre Dame. Not a banner year but it was still Alabama-auburn. Pourng rain at Legion Field that day and we took it to auburn, like 38-7, and made the fiance sit through the entire game. To make things worse, I drove her through the Tuscaloosa campus on the way back home to Mobile that night. My nephew was a typical 8 year old smarta__
and he didn't dissapoint. We got married December, one month later and still married 36 years later. Thats the only time we've watched the game together since.
:BigA::biggrin:

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
While my first two favorites are 1985 and 1999, a third favorite would have to be 2001 for quite a few reasons. First of all, 2001 in particular was a bad year, naturally because of what happened on 9/11/01, and the season had been rather forgettable up until the Iron Bowl. Andrew Zow started for an injured Tyler Watts and had a huge game. We also had a great rushing performance with Santonio Beard running for 199 yards and Ahmaad Galloway running for 127 yards. We sent the fans home just minutes into the third quarter in a 31-7 route.

TheSabanator

Suspended
Oct 1, 2011
Birmingham,Alabama
1971.....#3 Alabama VS #5 Auburn.......
Both teams came into the game undefeated. Auburn had Heisman Trophy winner Pat Sullivan and his All-American receiver Terry Beasley.
We had Johnny Musso at running back, anchored by Terry Davis at quarterback.
Musso ran all over Auburn 31-7 with a sore toe. This was the first Alabama Auburn game I remember watching on TV.
It is a sentimental choice of course.

Last edited:

JustJim

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Got to go with 1985 - "The Kick." I was sitting right smack dab in the middle of a herd of Auburn fans. You could have heard a pin drop in that section (except me screaming)

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
From just the ones I attended it was the '92 game. I had lived in Tampa about 4 years me & a buddy drove all night thru the worst cold rain ever. Got a room in Bham got up early drinking coffee & there was Dye on tv announcing he was retiring.

Made for a great day.

I do have to say the 2009 at API was by far my favorite, that team never quit.

Bama63

1st Team
Oct 25, 2000
Louisville, KY, Jefferson
The 1958 game that Auburn won 40-0, running up the score gleefully against a really rotten, winless Alabama team led by a pitiful old coach who had already been fired....

That was the game that decided me to go to Alabama and made me for all eternity hate all things Auburn.

RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.