Notre Dame's Brian Kelly interviews with Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
That BR Report article said that three of the last four NC ran the spread (2010 article). Well that isn't what it is now as the last three out of four now ran the Pro offense. LOL Roll Tide Roll - Back to Back

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
No, it really doesn't, but, when the pros spread the field it's more or less the way we do it. They don't do it by hiring small, fast OL and option QBs...
Russel Wilson is sort of rewriting what a small quarterback can do isn't he, fair enough he's not an option guy. Washington is running the pistol, not just running out of the pistol formation but actually using some elements of the pistol in its playcalling, not to mention its the second year in a row that Oregon's kelley has flirted heavily with NFL jobs, so it seems teams are at least interested in bringing in systems that aren't what we think of as Pro style offenses.

Granted to you both that Kelly's system he used at Cincy probably wont' be making to the NFL and option is also probably a no go, but what he ran at ND this year, mostly out of necessity and lack of a top qb, could work in the NFL. At least as a GM could probably believe some version of Kelly's system could work.

I'll concede my stance just to end the argument

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Ok you get blown out in the BCSNCG so how do you think the school feels about you?

I think this is just a way to get a raise & extension of his contract.
I would be shocked to see him at the Eagles next year.

On another note I really like this board because we have a lot of really smart people who share good football knowledge & opinions. But some of you need to realize we just won another National Championsip & watch the way you address others.

After 20 years of watching my beloved Tide struggle me & most importantly mt kids can come to see a sample of what Coach Bryant gave us when we were young. I can walk into a store or go out to eat wearing a Bama shirt & getaway Roll Tide from complete strangers with a Big Smile on their face.
So Roll Tide!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Russel Wilson is sort of rewriting what a small quarterback can do isn't he, fair enough he's not an option guy. Washington is running the pistol, not just running out of the pistol formation but actually using some elements of the pistol in its playcalling, not to mention its the second year in a row that Oregon's kelley has flirted heavily with NFL jobs, so it seems teams are at least interested in bringing in systems that aren't what we think of as Pro style offenses.

Granted to you both that Kelly's system he used at Cincy probably wont' be making to the NFL and option is also probably a no go, but what he ran at ND this year, mostly out of necessity and lack of a top qb, could work in the NFL. At least as a GM could probably believe some version of Kelly's system could work.

I'll concede my stance just to end the argument
No, I think you have a point that the NFL's incorporating more spread elements, just as we do. I think the option QB is going to be very rare in the NFL (and with Saban), because the downside is so devastating if you lose him...

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
No, I think you have a point that the NFL's incorporating more spread elements, just as we do. I think the option QB is going to be very rare in the NFL (and with Saban), because the downside is so devastating if you lose him...
Wouldn't RG3 be a good example of that? Even if they had won that game, they would be in the playoffs with no QB.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I look how the Niners have used Smith/Kaepernick and the Seahawks using Wilson as "examples" of using more mobile QBs. They must have the instinct to throw first, and then run if you need to. Granted, the Niners have run a bit more direct QB runs with Kaepernick under center, but ultimately, you have to protect yourself, and that means only running when you absolutely need to. I put examples in quotes because it's been done that way in the NFL for years now.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Any quarterback not named Tim Tebow running outside the pocket is going to be subject to having his career shortened by a hit. The long term loss is not worth the short term gain.

From my phone with Tapatalk

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Imo rg3 is done already. Sounds like. He has a blown out knee i think for the second time. He needs to start watching old dan morino game tape and adjust his game.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I dont care one way or the other but with the recruiting class they are reported to have i dont see kelley leaving just signing a bigger contract. Then again the domers are tight with that type of money.going to be intresting no doubt about it. Im sure he is asking for "Saban money".

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
I dont care one way or the other but with the recruiting class they are reported to have i dont see kelley leaving just signing a bigger contract. Then again the domers are tight with that type of money.going to be intresting no doubt about it. Im sure he is asking for "Saban money".
He may be asking but he sure as crap isn't worth it.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Everyone knows what's going on. A raise and an extension.
Well, he does make less $$$$$$$$, I think, than most SEC coaches. If I were him I'd say to the Notre Dame admin. "I want everything that Coach Nick has at Bama." That includes the total support for athletes.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Well having your team blown out in a championship, going the very next day to interview for another job and then leaving the country in the middle of recruiting season with everyone wondering what's up is no way to earn a raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.