opportunity for young players.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The old saying, one man's loss is another man's gain. Tired of rehashing the explainable so lets talk about opportunity.

I think this weeks events opens the door for two redshirt defensive ends Dalvin Tomlinson and Korren Kirven as well as the three freshman A'Shawn Robinson, Dee Liner, and Darius Paige come this fall. Has anyone heard about the progress of Tomlinson and Kirven??

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Tomlinson has had very good reviews.

Truthfully, all the guys lost are young. Hayes was very good on ST and Pettway was a good pass rusher, but none of the 4 were projected to be a starter. Pettway was probably looking at the most PT, but it would've been more situational.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Tomlinson sounds like a good one. High motor, smart player.

Kirven is a DE. Pretty big guy if I recall correctly.

I think this presents an even greater opportunity for Allen, especially as a pass rusher.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Tomlinson has had very good reviews.

Truthfully, all the guys lost are young. Hayes was very good on ST and Pettway was a good pass rusher, but none of the 4 were projected to be a starter. Pettway was probably looking at the most PT, but it would've been more situational.
Hayes best play on special teams was putting the final nail in our coffin against a&m. He finished the season with like 18 tackles I wouldn't call that great. To me a mistake like he made would have you in the doghouse.

The only real opportunity I see opening like the op suggests is de. All the other positions have entrenched starters except perhaps hb.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Not sure if Allen is going to Defensive End or Jack. He's listed at 260 now which is the top end of our Jacks historically. So they may cut him this summer and play jack or stack him and move to defensive end. Either way with Hays being a jack and Pettway being a defensive end or Jack I think it puts Allen closer to the field.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He's too good of a pass rusher to ask him to take on the 4/5-tech DE role in our defense. They'll probably not try to beef him up much but simply ensure he's got "100%" good weight.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Hayes best play on special teams was putting the final nail in our coffin against a&m. He finished the season with like 18 tackles I wouldn't call that great. To me a mistake like he made would have you in the doghouse.

The only real opportunity I see opening like the op suggests is de. All the other positions have entrenched starters except perhaps hb.
If we're just talking about offense and defense, I agree. But snaps on ST are very meaningful and Hayes was a regular/solid contributor there, so his spot is up for grabs and I think that is where an incoming guy can get on the field quicker than as a situational pass rusher like Pettway was. Tomlinson got good reviews and Fanning hopefully progresses this spring because he's got a lot of upside.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
If we're just talking about offense and defense, I agree. But snaps on ST are very meaningful and Hayes was a regular/solid contributor there, so his spot is up for grabs and I think that is where an incoming guy can get on the field quicker than as a situational pass rusher like Pettway was. Tomlinson got good reviews and Fanning hopefully progresses this spring because he's got a lot of upside.
I was just comparing that to what Vinnie and Depriest did the year before which was substantially better. Landon Collins made several more key plays. The only play I really remember Hayes making was jumping offsides.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I mentioned Allen due to his pass rushing abilities. Without Pettway, who seemed to specialize in that, I can see JA on the field with a sort of "go get the QB" role.

I'm excited about that kid. For his size he is exceptionally quick and agile.

Last edited:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Hayes had value on ST and I'm not downgrading that - but - we are at the point with our depth and recruiting that there will be several guys ready to step in and do just as well if not better.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hayes had value on ST and I'm not downgrading that - but - we are at the point with our depth and recruiting that there will be several guys ready to step in and do just as well if not better.
I think it will hurt some. Unless someone grows up really fast, we just don't have a Pettway replacement. Hayes was in for substantial PT, although he had threatened to quit over the lack of it and tweeted about it. Calloway could be missed, but, if Fowler comes back strong, he won't be. EW is the mystery, a five star guy who just wasn't progressing. It's hard not to think that his personal problems weren't part of it, given what we've now seen...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I think it will hurt some. Unless someone grows up really fast, we just don't have a Pettway replacement. Hayes was in for substantial PT, although he had threatened to quit over the lack of it and tweeted about it. Calloway could be missed, but, if Fowler comes back strong, he won't be. EW is the mystery, a five star guy who just wasn't progressing. It's hard not to think that his personal problems weren't part of it, given what we've now seen...
I didn't realize Hayes was upset about lack of PT (I don't really do twitter). He was a regular on ST as a true freshmen. That's pretty darn good with our roster. Collins didn't seem to have an issue with it and he was a 5* stud out of high school.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
He's too good of a pass rusher to ask him to take on the 4/5-tech DE role in our defense. They'll probably not try to beef him up much but simply ensure he's got "100%" good weight.
I agree. The guy has great pass rushing skills and is quick for his size. He will play Jack IMO and will most likely be a part of the Rabbit DL.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I didn't realize Hayes was upset about lack of PT (I don't really do twitter). He was a regular on ST as a true freshmen. That's pretty darn good with our roster. Collins didn't seem to have an issue with it and he was a 5* stud out of high school.
The lack of playing time excuse works at some Universities, but not at Alabama.
Coach Saban believes you earn playing time by how you practice, you earn playing time by your performance on the field.
Coach Saban plays the players he thinks are most likely to execute his plays on the field...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Tomlinson sounds like a good one. High motor, smart player.

Kirven is a DE. Pretty big guy if I recall correctly.

I think this presents an even greater opportunity for Allen, especially as a pass rusher.
Yup..Kirven is a "Big Boy"..Here's his profile from rolltide.com/He listed at 6-5 292..He was a DT in high school..I take it he's a DT at Bama..

Here's his profile..CLICK ME

Here's a pic of him standing to the left of Jesse Williams..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think it will hurt some. Unless someone grows up really fast, we just don't have a Pettway replacement.
Hopefully some of the versatile DL guys can move around to fill in the gap left by Pettway.
Hayes was in for substantial PT, although he had threatened to quit over the lack of it and tweeted about it.
What did he expect as a true Freshman? Better than what some guys got - a redshirt.
Calloway could be missed, but, if Fowler comes back strong, he won't be.
Harrison Jones may get earlier playing time than many originally expected. He played both ways in high school and can be a good H-back.
EW is the mystery, a five star guy who just wasn't progressing. It's hard not to think that his personal problems weren't part of it, given what we've now seen...
When the original thread about Calloway and EW started, I wondered to myself about his progression. He started at WR prior to Dixon's departure and Jarrick's injury. I was hoping he wasn't going to fall into the BJ Scott column of athletes not landing in one spot. He took care of my wondering and fear...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.