News Article: Vanderbilt’s James Franklin calls Saban “Nicky Satan”

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think to be successful at Vandy he has to take that "I fear nothing" approach or "Nothing's going to stand in my way" approach.
Otherwise he'd have no chance with any type of quality recruit.
That being said I have no clue why he couldn't simply say "Nick Saban" rather than "Nicky Satan".
That's not only cheesy but very child like and not very original at all.
Plus, he just increased our margin of victory by about three touchdowns the next time we play.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
If you follow the link again there is an update posted. Franklin has called Saban and apologized, telling him it was meant as a joke.
Vanderbilt football coach James Franklin said he phoned Alabama’s Nick Saban on Wednesday to apologize for referring to the four-time national championship coach as “Nicky Satan.”

Franklin, who made the reference Monday at a Macon (Ga.) Central High sports banquet, said it was meant strictly as a joke. Video of the speech has since gone viral.
“Obviously, tremendous respect for Coach Saban,” Franklin said. “I just got off the phone with him. Tremendous respect for them. I’ve got tremendous respect for what they’ve done. Everybody is chasing them. The guy has won three or four national championships.

“(I was) really talking about the work ethic that he has a reputation for, and that we’re going to outwork them. I made a joke. And in today’s society with all the media and social media and people with tape recorders and things like that, that doesn’t come off that way. I know people have tremendous pride in Alabama, and their fans are fanatical. So I understand. But it was a joke and I didn’t mean to offend anybody.”

Franklin said that Saban was “good” with the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
He can apologize from here to the other side of the street while carrying an I love Alabama sign, I don't forgive him. I hope we beat their brains out when we play them again. This guy is a flea to Coach Saban if he had any recruits worth taking it would really be on. To think I used to like this guy, well thats done now.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
CNS leaves town it makes national news.

This time of year we are talking about Vandy?

With the teams Coach is building expect a whole lot more of this. To me it don't matter because Vandy does not matter.

The most disrespectful comment by a coach toward CNS to me was Muschamp comments before the bowl games. CNS was saying that GA or the loser of the SECCG deserved to go to a BCS bowl.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The attitude of Franklin, his cute comments aside, has permeated the vanderbilt team and fan base. Even with their new found in your face attitude they will still average 34K per game in a crappy stadium. I take back what I said about beating ut, I hope ut kills them, I do not take back my comments about au though. I wish the SEC would send them packing to the Big East or CUSA.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At least he didn't call him "Sabear." I notice the AU fans seem to have lost their appetite for than nickname. Too much truth in it... :D

JAXFLBAMAFAN

All-SEC
Nov 30, 1999
Jacksonville FL
I agree that the overuse of any cliche including....that word makes me weary.

I am weary of reading on this board, which I do daily, the use of class, classy, classless or a relative facsimile thereof, on the Bama board.

Please find another word to describe folks on this board or from other boards.

:cool2:

JAXFLBAMAFAN

All-SEC
Nov 30, 1999
Jacksonville FL
At the same time...I guess Franklin is planning on being out of the SEC by the Bama appears on the Vandy schedule again. Most coaches discourage their kids from providing bulletin board material for their opponents to use against them. But, for a coach to do that is just.........stupid.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I am weary of reading on this board, which I do daily, the use of class, classy, classless or a relative facsimile thereof, on the Bama board.

Conversely, you could get over it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I'll try and do that, Mr. Roget.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't like calling other people derogatory names regardless of the situation. And, if you're leading a team and by circumstance leading the athletic department's premier team, you should be held to a much higher standard than the public. It's like yelling fire in a movie theater, Franklin's voice carries too much weight to be classless and demeaning, even at Vandy.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
I just don't get why anybody would want to make an issue out of this. Remember when our beloved St. Nick made the crack about an LSU fan reacting like he'd done his wife or something when he took the Alabama job?
Coaches, even the CEO types, are still coaches and their "off-the-record" humor is still pretty close to playground/locker-room because it's all they've ever known. Musicians, racers, and school teachers also fall into this '"Juvenal-outlook-forever" because something inside never quite grows all the way up.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I just don't get why anybody would want to make an issue out of this. Remember when our beloved St. Nick made the crack about an LSU fan reacting like he'd done his wife or something when he took the Alabama job?
Coaches, even the CEO types, are still coaches and their "off-the-record" humor is still pretty close to playground/locker-room because it's all they've ever known. Musicians, racers, and school teachers also fall into this '"Juvenal-outlook-forever" because something inside never quite grows all the way up.
I can honestly say I don't agree with this!

I am also selling S.W.A.T.S. supplements if you are interested in purchasing some of our products!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.