Arkansas hires Wisconsin HC Bret Bielema

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Re: Brett B to Arkansas?

He's gonna have a hard time selling that style of football to recruits in the same division as LSU and Alabama

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

Bret B runs sort of a SEC style in that he runs a lot. However, he has a habit of running up the score which isn't very classy.

I think he's a good hire for Arkansas, though I'm not worried about it at all. I was much more worried when they hired Petrino. Arkansas will be a 8-9 win team but never compete for a conference title unless they division is way down.

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008

Doesn't bother me that he complained about Meyer or said he didn't want to be like the SEC, it's a 2 pronged statement:
1- as a rule B10 coaches don't have to work as feverish at recruiting because of their 'gentleman's agreement' to not recruit players after they've already committed to a B10 school.
2- by saying they don't want to be SECish he's playing to the self-loving head in the sand old money types in the B10 looking for excuses as to why they're the 3rd or 4th best league now.

On that note people tend to look at the SEC over the past decade and say oohh ahhh but really since the 80s top to bottom it's been the best league in the country, certainly since 1990. The big ten was eating SEC dust long before they realized it or were willing to admit it.

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008

As for the hire, stylistically it's a solid fit with Wisky playing smashmouth get after you FB. He's not a bad coach, time will tell how good. I also suspect he isn't so dumb as to bring a bunch of people here to recruit areas they're not familiar with. I suspect he'll bring 1-to-3 coaches with him, perhaps a coordinator, and fill in the rest with people familiar with the landscape in the southeast.

I'm sure people were saying similar things about Coach Saban when LSU hired him. Either you can coach or you can't, period. Sometimes it's just not a good fit, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The million dollar question is... can he deal with recruiting. I guarentee LSU, Tennenesse, and Mizzou are going to hit that state hard. Its going to take 2-3 years to get that team the way he wants it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

CollegeFootballNews ‏@ColFootballNews
Early reaction to us from fans on Bret Bielema ... Arkansas fans not that fired up, Wisconsin fans sort of mad but sort of indifferent.

bondsdw

Scout Team
Jan 26, 2007

Guess I'm the only one who thinks that this is a really good hire on Arkansas' part? Bielema has been successful at Wisconsin, and his teams have been consistently good. Hard to argue with three Rose Bowl's in a row (even though this year's was admittedly a bit of a fluke). I would be ecstatic if I was an Arkansas fan, and as an Alabama one, I don't relish having to face his style of offense regularly. I just can't really understand why he left Wisconsin to take over Arkansas in its current state. Good paycheck, I suppose.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Guess I'm the only one who thinks that this is a really good hire on Arkansas' part? Bielema has been successful at Wisconsin, and his teams have been consistently good. Hard to argue with three Rose Bowl's in a row (even though this year's was admittedly a bit of a fluke). I would be ecstatic if I was an Arkansas fan, and as an Alabama one, I don't relish having to face his style of offense regularly. I just can't really understand why he left Wisconsin to take over Arkansas in its current state. Good paycheck, I suppose.
Looks at who he's been playing - the three Rose Bowls look a lot better from a distance. Read the article above - it'll make it clear.

He may turn out to be a good hire, but I see this as being a FANTASTIC hire for Alabama fans.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.