Former Texas Coach Darrell Royal Passes Away

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
He is one of those that I thought might have already been dead, so it's not such a shock. But then I read his obituary and realize that royalty has died (no pun). He was the head man at Texas when Coach Byant was still at aTm! Never had a losing in season. Might be the main person that said ''Three things can happen when you pass and two of 'em are bad.'' His team won 30 straight after putting in the Wishbone in 1968. Wow!

Is he the one that coached our staff on the 'bone before the 72 season?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Might be the main person that said ''Three things can happen when you pass and two of 'em are bad.''
I think Woody Hayes said this (I could be wrong though) but it's Wisdom. The flag footballers would be wise to heed it. But they don't and they get crushed by the SEC. Old man football bah...

“Well, son, since you haven’t learned to respect your elders, it’s time you learned to respect your betters.” – Big Jake (
played by the late great John Wayne of course!)

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
He is one of those that I thought might have already been dead, so it's not such a shock. But then I read his obituary and realize that royalty has died (no pun). He was the head man at Texas when Coach Byant was still at aTm! Never had a losing in season. Might be the main person that said ''Three things can happen when you pass and two of 'em are bad.'' His team won 30 straight after putting in the Wishbone in 1968. Wow!

Is he the one that coached our staff on the 'bone before the 72 season?

^^ This is what I heard/read. Believe it is the case.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Emory Bellard, an assistant on Royal's staff at Texas actually is credited with creating the Wishbone. He then took it to A&M and then later, Mississippi State.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Emory Bellard, an assistant on Royal's staff at Texas actually is credited with creating the Wishbone. He then took it to A&M and then later, Mississippi State.
Without looking it up, it seems like he was a long time HS coach that didn't do any head coaching at the college level.

Obviously the wishbone started in Texas and worked it's way to the Big 8 and then moved east and then the country. Maybe it came out of Mexico first :)

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Without looking it up, it seems like he was a long time HS coach that didn't do any head coaching at the college level.
You must be a young-en. Emory Bellard went on to be the head coach at Texas A&M for a few years and he also served as the head coach at Mississippi State too a few years back in the 70's. He wasn't very successful at either place.

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012
The current Texas football team has been described as soft and entitled. The Longhorns always had the feeling of entitlement but were never soft when Royal was coaching.

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012
You must be a young-en. Emory Bellard went on to be the head coach at Texas A&M for a few years and he also served as the head coach at Mississippi State too a few years back in the 70's. He wasn't very successful at either place.
Depends how you define success at Texas A&M. Bellard won lots of games but never taught his teams how to pass so they never could get by the one or two teams each year that could stop the wishbone. A&M didn't consider that successful enough and moved on to another coach who proved less successful. Kind of like R. C. Slocum who kept them respectable for many years, which wasn't good enough so they brought in Franchione.

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
Excerpt from a article a couple of years ago.

A look back at Alabama-Texas history

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News ccarlton@dallasnews.com

Published: 03 January 2010 01:03 AM

Bryant, Royal and the Wishbone

Sometimes, even legends need a little help - something Bear Bryant discovered as the 1970s arrived.

Alabama had gone a combined 12-10-1 in 1969-70, and fans were a little restless. Bryant finally convinced the school's movers and shakers that he needed to recruit black players.

He also decided that Alabama needed an offensive makeover and turned to his old friend, Darrell Royal.
Bryant visited Texas before the 1971 season and learned the Wishbone option offense from Royal and his offensive coordinator, Emory Bellard. Royal was more than accommodating to Bryant.

"Bear and I were great friends, and I appreciated the competitor that he was and the friend that he was," Royal, 85, said in a statement supplied by Texas. "We were able to share a lot of thoughts about the game as well as about life."

Bryant, who won two national titles with the Wishbone in the 1970s, went 11-1 in 1971. That first year, he still relied on his friend, as Royal's wife, Edith, recalled.

"I remember that Bear would call every Sunday after he and his staff had come to Austin to talk with Emory and Darrell about the Wishbone," Edith said. "He was so excited about the way things were going.

"We were remodeling our house, and Bear wanted to build us a room attached to the house because of how much he appreciated what Darrell had done for him."

Darrell Royal Quotes

You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket - you might have caught a fish.

Breaks balance out. The sun don't shine on the same ol' dog's rear end every day.

He's not very fast, but maybe Elizabeth Taylor can't sing.

I don't count on the boy who waits till October, when it's cool and fun, then decides he wants to play.

I learned this about coaching: You don't have to explain victory and you can't explain defeat.

Football doesn’t build character. It eliminates the weak ones..

Condolences go out to the family.....

Last edited:

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
I think Woody Hayes said this (I could be wrong though) but it's Wisdom. The flag footballers would be wise to heed it. But they don't and they get crushed by the SEC. Old man football bah...

“Well, son, since you haven’t learned to respect your elders, it’s time you learned to respect your betters.” – Big Jake (
played by the late great John Wayne of course!)
Think it was Hayes as well - nice tag line BTW :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.